NHL'94 Forums

Preferred Controller?

aqualizard

EDIT: Grrrr... This is supposed to be a poll, but I can't see how to add one? The 3 choices are below. (If a mod made this into a poll that would be cool, in the mean time I am manually writing results below.)

I noticed some people use a keyboard, and was thinking (though the learning curve would be steep) it might have an advantage?

I used to use a Genesis 6-button controller (with adapter for USB), but it got too broken down. So out of necessity I switched to a 3rd party "Buffalo" controller, similar to Classic Nintendo gamepad. I have gotten used to it, but wonder if it helps or hinders having different button placement?

What do you use? (Feel free to indicate what someone else uses, if you know?)

1. Keyboard
2. Standard Genesis (or similar)

3. Other

----------------------------------------------------------

Results:
Keyboard
1. depch
2. swos
3. JackVandal

Standard Genesis (or similar)
1. Darko99
2. IceStorm70

3. Labs_66
4. kingraph
5. jer_33

Other
1. TomKabs93

2. Slapshot97
3. aqualizard

4. Brutus

5. annatar

Edited by aqualizard

41yjXbvTRpL.jpg

PS3 afterglow controller (cheap from walmart)

Don't use this controller for it's dpad, it's awful. Analog stick is the way of the warrior

There really isn't much of an advantage for keyboard over controller. People will argue that you can have 3 fingers dedicated to directions and all this stuff but it's marginal if anything

To me analog stick feels smoother for deking than dpad, but that's probably just because I started with this controller

If you're gonna go with dpad, then original sega 6 button is a great controller (no knockoffs they suck!!!)

Just use whatever you feel like, with a little practice you can be smooth with any option

I am a keyboarder.

Background for it: My background for games are mostly from PC and I used to play old NHL games with keyboard vs my friends who then used gamepads, it's all I've ever used. That translated directly to genesis emulator then once swos & guys rejuvenated some nhl94 magic via it. I have some experience of NES :D & Xbox360 gamepads (was quite comfortable with x360 pad some years ago).

Regarding possible advantages: I think the advantage in keyboard might be that it's more accurate for butterfingers for sure if you have a tendency of making mistakes on directions with your thumb, it will not happen in keyboard. Some keyboards might have a better polling rate than some gamepads, but some might have worse. If you have a poor keyboard, you can find plenty of information how you can try to make it more responsive, this is common knowledge in FPS games and their competitive side. The differences are in milliseconds though, so is it really noticeable. Other than that I think gamepad will do exactly what a keyboard can do in experienced hands. Keyboard movement can be noticeable how turns are a bit more edgy and gamepad is more rounded in general (example: keyboard you can do top - left turns without doing top and left at the same time easier and with thumb on pad you round it up via top-top left-left).

All in all, the differences are not that big and use whatever you are used to. What matters more is your playstyle, this is not a game where the better deker can achieve much advantage in my mind, TK can disagree. :)

It's also easy for everyone to experiment playing on keyboard.

Afaik: AJ used to be a main keyboarder but switched to gamepad, so he might have good input on that. Many have tried translation to new system but it takes time and is not easy, just ask swos who has used gamepads to practise for possible future KO94 events.

Edited by Depch

What matters more is your playstyle, this is not a game where the better deker can achieve much advantage in my mind, TK can disagree. :)

:D love the comment Depch

Don't let them brainwash you Aqua, a deke centered style is both viable and super duper fun

-

I've actually never heard that opinion Depch, that really makes me think. Maybe the 94 engine isn't built well for deking. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'm a stubborn old man tho so no matter what I'll never change hehe

Used to use a Logitech F310 but switched to a Buffalo SNES pad a few months before KO94. In both cases I use the dpad but found the transition tough. Now I like the Buffalo as it forces me to be more precise with my inputs.

I agree w/ TK & find that the dancing & deking is WAY better w/ the analog joysticks. Learning how to adjust some movements because stopping on a dime & cutting back, something done easier on keyboard or w/ a d-pad, takes an adjustment but is worth it long term, as those cuts are still able to be done, but require adjusting yiur angles to force a hard turn instead of a smooth one. I had originally switched from my sega joystick to the PS3 d-pad for its ability to stop & cut so well. BUT, have found TK's deke dances to rule supreme in scoring.

And this is way I rank the XOne joystick probably the best joystick ive ever used for any gaming.

It's analog stick is second to none. It's buttons are quiet & tight, and its small enough to fit in a very comfortable squeeze between your hands.

And because its Microsoft, you just plug & play.

Not a cheap option but mad love for this hardware from brute!

Edited by Brutus

And this is way I rank the XOne joystick probably the best joystick ive ever used for any gaming.

It's analog stick is second to none. It's buttons are quiet & tight, and its small enough to fit in a very comfortable squeeze between your hands.

And because its Microsoft, you just plug & play.

Not a cheap option but mad love for this hardware from brute!

Wow interesting, in the future I'll have to test an xbox one controller!

I use a regular SNES controller with the RetroUSB adapter.

It should be noted that when using the analog stick on a controller, on these old emulators you don't really get the "analog" control. Movements are changed into digital U,D,L,R, diagonals. So if you only press a little in one direction, it's the same as pressing a lot in that direction. I'm not sure how sensitive they analog sticks are to registering a movement though, I've never tried one.

Can you use a snes controller on the Gens emulator?

Yes, I had to do this one time when I forgot my Gens controller and it worked perfectly fine. It just feels wrong doing it since its Gens with a Snes pad.

As far as analog goes you guys are crazy. Crazy good if you can get that to work for you because I just cant. There was an instance where I even tried out a fight stick and the emulator had major issues with registering the joystick inputs.

I used to be a keyboard guy and I eventually moved over to Gens pad for Gens and Snes pad for Snes. It took a good while for me to get used to the change. I like keyboard better for offense and pad better for defense. That could very easily be attributed to my evolution as a player then either device having an inherent advantage. It has been quite some time since I've used a keyboard. If you're comfortable with pad stick with pad (or analog). If you were to ever go to a live event it's a huge advantage to already be familiar with pad.

MK-1650 modded with USB

MK-1653 6-button

MK-1470 6-button with turbo (they run slightly smaller than the 1653s)

Before I joined the site, I used to only play with the original Genesis Arcade Stick but I quickly discovered that the control is way better with a dpad.

• 4 weeks later...

No experience here but looks great ergonomically.

But if you're ok with using retro style controllers, you should definitely get a USB converter and buy old sets pads. That's my method last few years and love it.

No experience, but if you read some of the messageboards of guys who are still playing retro games like "Street Fighter" - most will complain about the d-pads.

I've also seen the 9-pin versions of these (Sega replacements) for under $10 on ebay brand new.

So, when we got together for our little Ice, EA, Wally & Brutus in the lobby in the Chicago area a few weeks back, Wally had one of those I think.

It seemed to work as good as regular Sega joystick.

But, Wally was the guy who owned it, and he'd know if it had any of those "nightmare" performance issues over the course of time or not.

I just ordered a Buffalo (not an iBuffalo)...

and received an iBuffalo. attempting to get a refund processed. will update with a review if I end up keeping it.