NHL'94 Forums

GENS A Playoffs still going... thoughts

The first series of the playoffs was finished on 11/25.

It's 12/21 and the last quarterfinals series finished last night... I don't know, that seems pretty long and it's a drag for guys who are waiting around.

I'm not sure why anything is different from the regular season. There should be checkpoints set up and if you don't hit them, then you should be penalized for future seasons (whether in classic or in other leagues).

I would be surprised with everyone's schedule during the holidays that this season finishes up before the New Year.

Obviously everyone should be making efforts to finish playoffs but especially to the A-leaguers, I think there's a need to lead by example. I think it's important for those who play at the elite level to set the pace for the community and establish expectations through good practice.

It's a problem every season. Right now, if I gave 1 week for each series, we are about 1 week behind (we are in round 3, with one series already played), which isnt TOO bad. I've seen worse (and in other leagues). I've seen Ice/Depch go back and forth on scheduling and for whatever reason they couldn't sync up. Zalex/Seth also claim to have been trying. I would always love to see these games knocked out asap, but at the same time I don't want to FF anyone in the playoffs. And there's no real penalty for next season if people are trying (or at least appearing to be). People who disappear, drop without reason, etc. will likely be excluded from playing next season.

The best I can do is PM, post on forums, AIM, etc to each person and try to push along. I guess I could get more cutthroat about it next season, but I always ignorantly think it's gonna roll smoothly!

Well, classic runs twice a year, so rushing the playoffs isn't quite the same.

First, it's not a custom team, so the coaches waiting who did advance aren't at the same disadvantage as in custom rom leagues. These are teams you've played with for 20 years & will hopefully for another 20! In custom leagues, guys lose the feel of your team if they don't use them for a long stretch, so any coaches who did advance aren't at some major handicap by waiting.

Second, since the next season isn't delayed by the playoffs, and we don't get to watch the games, the eliminated coaches aren't really effected other than as witness's to slackerdom.

So I can see why Raph is just gently nudging people along at this point. The hokkee esque posts are at least a month away!

No one who is still active in Classic A playoffs & participating in GDL has had any issues with drafting, trade talks, playing preseason rom, etc but can't make time to finish their prior obligation to classic A?... I don't know, that just sets a poor precedent..

Raph, I understand your analysis about 1 week / series, however, I don't think that should be applied across every tier. A-leaguers should finish ahead of the other groups. So while GensB may be 1 week behind and that's not too bad, GensA being 1 week behind seems a lot worse.

I can speak from my own perspective. I was distracted by the GDL draft. Also I've been bored with classic and having Leafs didn't help that out at all.

I'm usually one of first to do my series so I can only explain the reason for this classic. Raphs doing a great job commishing, on us to get them done.

Strange phenom that exist here and in real life.

Seems to be getting worse then it use to be as we are inundated with stuff and information and continual exposure to everything.

Remember when Football started in Mid September and was over by New Year's.

1 college game on tv on Saturday and Keith Jackson was the announcer (Whoa Nelly!). 2 NFL on Sunday. That was it.

The World Series was OVER in mid-October.

1 Baseball game a week on tv.

Stanley Cup in April or Early May, or even late May(1991 last time the Cup was awarded in may)

Not sure why, but it is a turn off.

Everything drags.

Drafting and organizing leagues everyone is always so fired up, THEN you get to the playoffs which should be the very best time and people are just burnt.

Kinda like the build up to Christmas is so great and then....

Seinfeld did a thing about it with going out to eat that was hilarious.

We use to have it all the time in coaching football would start in August and everyone would be all fired up rah rah and then when the beauty and wonder of October or the playoffs came people were burnt. I had one year that we went to the State Semi-Finals and over half the team deep down was glad to lose and have it over with.

One thing we have done in real life and it has been very successful is doing LESS than everyone else as far as training, practicing etc...especially early on so that our kids want to play in November and December and so our kids still love it when it matters. If you got kids beware of the Modern sports complex they are stepping into.

As far as video games go. I try to to keep my leagues short and sweet. In fact I won't do it any other way, but I am a Dinosaur.

If I was still in classic I would be very frustrated.

Lastly just to make sure no one misunderstands me Raph and Chaos are 2 of the best buds I know and running things is tough and I respect what they do.

Just giving my 2 cents and doing a little preaching from my soapbox.

Classic Playoffs should be 2 weeks max to crown a Champion.

Edited by CoachMac