NHL'94 Forums

NHL16 ROM - Midseason Update by Skip

skip

Hey guys, here is my mid-season update (V8/V7/V6) for the 2016 ROM. Update includes:

*Tweaks to players (changes from V4 noted in the excel file 'chg' tabs)

*Player additions (players name marked in yellow) and some subtractions (listed).

*Edited certain attributes league-wide. I made a decent amount of changes to speed, checking, and defensive awareness. I also updated goalies quite a bit. Also updated player roughness (CPU shooting bias) for a more realistic type feel to the numbers, though it won't matter for us.

The biggest update for V6/7/8: I had the chance to fix the faceoff music for teams (except Washington and Winnipeg). My next task is to figure out the locations of the goal musics, and then, my really ambitious task of figuring out how to add player cards for the 2016 ROM :)

-Skip

I should also note some additional info in the excel sheet. I include the "checking ability", a rating we use in Blitz and Velocity League to show how good a player is at checking based on the in-game code (uses weight and checking attribute to decide if a check is a pass/fail).

I've added some overalls to show a player's offensive skill, defensive prowess, or goaltending ability. Just a guide for now :)

Link to earlier ROM post:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17174-nhl16-the-ultimate-nhl-rom/

NHL16v8skip.zip

NHL16v8.bin

Edited by skip

I'll be posting an updated ROM today - fixed all of the music so that they match the teams. :-)

Huge thanks to Coach Mac for his help, and also smoz and swos (and others) for the awesome notes on switching up the audio. Had some trouble, but Mac and the boys keep on proving why there is no other community like this one.

Thanks so much for doing this. I realize it's a lot of work.

I'm a Ranger fan who watches most games and frequents blueshirtbanter, so I just have to say this: Girardi and Staal are way overrated. ....both should be 3 speed and 3 agility, and Girardi's checking is a 4 at best. The current ratings would be accurate 3, maybe 2 years ago, not anymore. Dylan McIlrath has outplayed both of them this year (and should never be scratched for either of them but AV also plays Tanner Glass every game :rolleyes: ). When I see how high Girardi was drafted in the Velocity league based on these ratings, it cracks me up because in real life, he totally sucks at this point in his career. But I can fix these numbers easily with NOSE.

Either way, great job and thanks.

Edited by dman72

You're welcome guys. I have a new version ready, but wasn't sure if that trade frenzy was going to die down from last week. I will likely release the next version after the trade deadline, then do one last version at the start of the playoffs.

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome work Skip! I grew up as a Nintendo/SNES kid but playing the new edits of NHL94 on the Genesis that you crank out are a blast too! The only way I can get the Flyers to win the cup lol! :)

I've been coming and going on this site for years to get my updated NHL 94 fix.

Skip, your work is incredible.

One thing I did notice, as a Devils fan especially, Cory Schneider's name in the game is spelled Cor-e-y (Tring to point out the 'e') when in real life he does not have it. Just a tiny little thing that gets to me, probably more than it should. But without my man Schneider, the Devils are a bottom of the barrel team so respect him I must!

Keep up the good work, Skip!

In your midseason 16.8.bin update, my guys are pretty poor defensively, less agile,less accurate shooters than your previous update, 16.7.bin. At the same time, the cpu controlled opponents on any team are playing like the 1980s Edmonton Oilers jacked up on Espresso and Mountain Dew! Not fair, not fun. Control response needs tightening also. 16.7.bin plays great,btw and should be the basis for 16.9.bin. with 16.8 you tried to fix too much, and broke it. Right Wing slapper from the top half of the slot, return the likelihood of it please. I hope you test updates prior to posting.

Just joined this site, and great ROM! I was hoping though is there a way to go about playing a full season with one team? I just haven't been able to figure that out since there's always a team you have to face in the other slot. Thanks!

Hey Titans! Thanks! If you are interested in a season, we do a draft league with these ROMs. Good times! Let me know if you're interested in joining the waitlist: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17329-velocity-league-waitlist/

For the Gens game, the best you can do is play a full playoffs

Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome work Skip! I grew up as a Nintendo/SNES kid but playing the new edits of NHL94 on the Genesis that you crank out are a blast too! The only way I can get the Flyers to win the cup lol! :)

You've got it bud! I think the only ROMs worth releasing are the ones I posted. There are V6/7, but they were working copies and not much would be different.

In your midseason 16.8.bin update, my guys are pretty poor defensively, less agile,less accurate shooters than your previous update, 16.7.bin. At the same time, the cpu controlled opponents on any team are playing like the 1980s Edmonton Oilers jacked up on Espresso and Mountain Dew! Not fair, not fun. Control response needs tightening also. 16.7.bin plays great,btw and should be the basis for 16.9.bin. with 16.8 you tried to fix too much, and broke it. Right Wing slapper from the top half of the slot, return the likelihood of it please. I hope you test updates prior to posting.

Hey man, cool, glad you liked it. But I don't know what you mean by "broke it". Nothing gameplay wise has been changed. Some players have been slightly altered, but they wouldn't really change the whole feel of the game. Also, I don't know who "my guys" are. Just guys you control??? And I have no idea what you mean by control response. I am not editing anything in the backend, just ratings of players :)

Hey man, cool, glad you liked it. But I don't know what you mean by "broke it". Nothing gameplay wise has been changed. Some players have been slightly altered, but they wouldn't really change the whole feel of the game. Also, I don't know who "my guys" are. Just guys you control??? And I have no idea what you mean by control response. I am not editing anything in the backend, just ratings of players :)

"My guys"= my team, not just the player I am controlling. Changing player ratings DOES affect gameplay. Defensive awareness and Offensive awareness are 2 examples. How can you not know what 'control response' means? It means how your controlled player responds to your pressing the buttons, for example, passing the puck, checking, Directional controls work fine, btw. For a fast paced game such as hockey, there can't be any delay. For the LA Kings home ice, I do like the crown at center ice. THAT is what belongs on their jerseys in reality, imho. Not that goofy LA shield.

"My guys"= my team, not just the player I am controlling. Changing player ratings DOES affect gameplay. Defensive awareness and Offensive awareness are 2 examples. How can you not know what 'control response' means? It means how your controlled player responds to your pressing the buttons, for example, passing the puck, checking, Directional controls work fine, btw. For a fast paced game such as hockey, there can't be any delay. For the LA Kings home ice, I do like the crown at center ice. THAT is what belongs on their jerseys in reality, imho. Not that goofy LA shield.

Idea for next update: take nhl16 v7.bin and just update the rosters. Gameplay is funfunfun in it. Sleeve stripes on Kings unis should be white on the black jersey, black on the white jersey, if possible.

You know he just does these in his spare time, for fun, right?

I'd argue changing ratings doesn't affect gameplay. Control response variances from ROM iterations is likely in your head as well.

Yeah I agree. Some players may feel very slightly different, but it wouldn't affect the entire gameplay, as opposed to v6 or whichever one we are talking about.