NHL'94 Forums

Congratulations AJ!

Uncle Seth

Classic win for the ages.

With series 2-1 in his favor, game 4 ensues...............

A little over 2 minutes left in the 3rd, and the score tied 5-5, he has the puck by the right corner after a hit, a literally 5 second frozen lag moment shows up as this is happening. He keeps skating, with Seth paralyzed....and puts it past Hextall for the goal in slow motion. This was no typical lag, this was like at flipping through the sketches of a cartoon being made speed, frame by frame.

Game gets paused immediately after.

Now the decent human being thing to do would be to pull your own goalie and allow a goal to make the game tied as it was before the lag-f*ck of the century. But no, not A.J. He deems it a "bounce". This ultra slow-mo lag happened earlier in the series, and I can't recall if it was me or him, but one of us paused it since it's unplayable.

We debate the unwritten rule while a half hour passes by. One would think the good sportsmanship light bulb would go on, after all this is the finals and it's a pretty important goal. Oh oh, I almost forgot, he did agree to pull his goalie. But then thought better after hearing back from Raph that there was no rule in place and changed his mind. Seth has no choice but to move on. It crashes so we restart another game and agree to play 2 minutes of it with A.J.'s artificial lead in place. Time ticks away and game 4 is in the books.

I never thought anyone on this site would act in such a way, especially A.J. Seemed like a great guy in person and over the years I've had not a bad word to say. But this is a video game, and why let ethics and fairness get in the way of that. True colors come through though. Just wow, that's all I can say. This one certainly was memorable but I'm not mad. I'd say shocked is more accurate.

Just strongly felt the community should be aware of it. I won't participating in any leagues that he's involved in from this point on.

Maybe a rule should be put in place that games get paused when lag gets unplayable? And before anyone tries to defend this, let's be honest here, each and every one of you would be fuming if this happened to you. So hypocrites need not apply.

Edited by Uncle Seth

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the argument was that the puck was already going in before the lag, it should count.

If the argument is that it's a tough break (equivalent to a tough "bounce"), you're allowed to exploit someone who's not playing/can't play during a 5 second lag-glitch (especially during a tie game in the third during the finals), that's sketchy at best. Maybe it's not a written rule, but it's definitely not cool move.

Edited by Wittgenstein

I can understand Seth's frustration and being upset over this situation but I strongly disagree with your description of the situation.

First it was a money goal. I body checked your player right by your goalie. I got you with one of the last frames of my body check which means i had control over my player immediately after winning the puck. when i won the puck, my stick was already clear of the goalies far side pad while on my forehand. all i had to do was aim far post and tap C, easy money goal. manual gc would have never come in to play. the only reason i skated across the crease was that despite me mashing the C button, my wrist shot didnt get released until well after i initially pressed C to shoot.

Thats all really beside the point though. In our discussion I offered you an empty net goal to rectify the situation. You passed and continued to talk about how you wanted a commissioner decision. Another 10 minutes passes and I offer you the goal one more time and you accept this time. Since the game had been paused nearly 20 minutes, it was highly susceptible to crashing and thats exactly what it did. We then got the commissioner ruling that you wanted all along which ruled the goal was a goal and it was up to me to rescind it.

I earned a chance at a money goal and no compensation was being offered to me to give up a chance where manual gc likely would have never come into play. If the same lag spike occurs and your goalie makes a save because I couldn't get my shot off when I wanted do I have a right to pause the game and demand a goal? No, thats ludicrous. Hence it doesn't work the other way, especially when you had nearly no chance to even transfer to gc much less move to cover the far side of the net in time.

If it was a slapper from just inside the blue line and you had ample time to get gc or if it was blitz league where a single button press grants gc then you'd have more of a leg to stand on. The fact of the matter is I presented myself with a chance at a money goal before the lag spike, the lag spike occurs as I'm already mashing my shoot button and i skate across the crease in the mean time which gives you the impression you had a chance to make the save.

Like i said initially, I can understand your frustration but in online play we have all given up goals due to lag spikes big and small. If a game is consistently laggy thats one thing but when it comes to a spike, you're at the mercy of online play. Ask yourself this, would you have given me the goal if the lag spike allowed your goalie to instead get over in time to make a save? I strongly doubt you would have taken me serious for even a second. With that said, I understand your frustration but this entire attitude of not wanting to play in another league with me or saying I exhibited no sportsmanship is over the top. I hope with time you view this a bit more objectively in the future.

I wasn't trying to get GC, knew Granato was too fast, just wanted to get a defenseman to strip it from him with his 3 sth. Of course it's a money goal when I can't see what's going at 1mph chop-lag.

And anyone who plays regularly me could vouch for my gamesmanship.

I pressed enter suggesting we wait for a ruling a split second after reading that you agreed to pull your goalie. Then the light went off in your head that, "hey maybe I don't have to now". Obviously that's what this was all about, I wanted you to do the right thing and pull him. You retracted that offer after Raph wrote back that there's no rule in place in instances like this.

But you said your side of it and and so did I. With no video, it's your word vs mine.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I wasn't trying to get GC, knew Granato was too fast, just wanted to get a defenseman to strip it from him with his 3 sth. But you said your side of it and and so did I. With no video, it's your word vs mine.

And anyone who plays regularly me could vouch for my gamesmanship.

No other defender was even on screen. I agree its words vs words.

You do exude gamesmanship and I believe I do as well for the most part but you just asked too much of me in this case. I couldn't give that chance up for free.

I know I'm a noob around here and my word doesn't hold a lot of weight, but my feeling is if there is ANY dispute over a goal/win/lag/game etc., the game/goal/whatever should be replayed in total. Esp in playoffs.

Edited by JackVandal

Man that whole scenario sucks for both you guys. Sounded like a great series otherwise. I could only speak for what I would've done. If it was obvious my opponent was at a bad disadvantage I'd offer to replay game with 2 min remaining or just start over.

There can't be rules in place for EVERY situation, some will need to be agreed upon judgment calls by the participants.

JV your opinion is worth as much as anyone else's.

In hindsight too Seth you prolly Shouldve held off playing rest of series until another day.

Game 5 looked like you were too distracted by what just happened. That would've been extremely tough to do though.

I am even newer than JV but also have a opinion.

First, it is disappointing to hear Uncle Seth say he won't play in leagues with AJ, especially since this appears to be the first time he has had a misunderstanding with him. Hopefully things will cool down and he changes his mind on this point because AJ is a class act, IMO.

In a nutshell, tt sounds to me like the game was laggy, and for one particular goal, Seth believes the lag contributed to him getting scored on, and AJ feels it was going in with or without the lag. It is "his word against my word", but it is also possible how it appeared on each side was a little different, too, since lag was kicking in. Because both players have clean records, and Seth felt he got ripped off, and it is possible things looked different on his end (as things get out of sync) I would lean towards making him happy and agreeing the goal should not count.

Then it is a matter of whether to play a new game of two minutes, a new period, or a whole new game, or Seth gets an empty net goal? The strange part is, it seems that AJ offered the empty netter, so why wouldn't Unce Seth agree to that in the beginning? That is where I am confused? It seems like you guys "got it right" and then somehow didn't follow through on your gut's fair arrangement?

(I will say asking for a Commish ruling is not how I would go... destroys flow of game completely. Or if you do ask for a Commish ruling -- which I would not! -- I would halt the game and agree to play based on how he rules another time.)

I don't understand if someone offered me a goal, & I felt I deserved it, why the game would not immediately be started up & then take that offer??

To leave a game paused & kill momentum, & insist on a commissioner ruling PLUS the delay plus the goal??? And lose the ruling & still expect the gratitude? No, then it's F-U buddy.

Makes no sense. You deserve to lose. AJ was clearly the better player even before that lag spike, even before the series & even after your little spat with him. You won one game & they game was tied prior to the "event".

To bow out of future competition smells rotten to me. More like, I can't beat him so I'll pull some queen drama. And to be so ungracious in a loss to me screams sore loser.

I'd gladly put AJ in any league I'm in & he beats my arse. Class act.

This post puts a stain on your image Seth. I'm disappointed you chose this path.

Unless you are disputing he initially iffeted the goal? Which you posted yourself. He had offered. So to not IMMEDIATELY accept & then do anything else is a byatch move & an even bigger byatch move to post this after then losing the next game.

I could MAYBE understand if it was game 7 & you felt a lag spike stole a series & we're all tilt. But to carry on like this after getting straight beat is really shameful.

Just my take. Everyone has their opinion but since you posted so strongly, I feel our opinions are warranted.

OH & congrats AJ. Great season, great playoffs. You were clearly the best player / team I faced all season by a mile.

In fairness to seth. I did not offer the goal immediately by any stretch. It took about 10 minutes of discussion for me to say screw it take the goal because I wanted to just keep the series moving. I have to travel out of my way to play games and had no interest in coming back another day for a couple games.

IMO if the other guy has a clean record, you should dhow good faith and offer a goal (or something) right away. Shows good faith. If it is showing lag you never know how it looked on their end.

Lag spikes happen, goalie-lock happens, desynch happens, circling back on a penalty shot happens, ....s-happens! You just have to play on and have a short-term memory. While a lag spike on an immediate goal will cause the biggest controversy, it's easy to claim every lag spike screwed you in some way. A missed pass, missed shot, flubbed one-timer, check, etc...the game is quite fast at a high level (there is a button/direction being pressed every second) and a lag spike WILL affect some outcome. Happens to us all. You can't pause and discuss a ruling every spike. Getting crazed about something like this will surely throw off your game, and I agree with Ice that game 5 Seth was probably mentally out of it and not effective. You need to focus 100% against these guys for an entire playoff series (it's not easy).

I also hope Seth cools off and doesn't back out of leagues because AJ is in there. That sucks for everyone involved as both players are title contenders each season.

Lag spikes happen... it's easy to claim every lag spike screwed you in some way. ...You can't pause and discuss a ruling every spike.

This is the thing, no you can't pause and discuss lag effects everytime it happens. BUT! How often does Uncle Seth pause to discuss such things (I am guessing rarely)? And what is the context (tie game, 2 minutes left)? And how big of a game was this? (Playoffs.) In this situation I would show good faith and give up a goal (or find whatever solution Seth wanted) right away. That is just good sportsmanship, IMHO.

You're not wrong at all bud. This is the first time Seth ever asked a goal to be removed as far as I know. My only thing was 95-98% of the time we played were under good online conditions.so the lag spike was random.

My whole thing was I created a money goal chance where all I had to do was aim and tap c. Then the lag spike took place. Where is my compensation for giving up a sure goal? I understand the sportsmanship aspect but in that case I get nothing while giving up everything.

Funny link Raph. I caught the tail end of Carse & missed out on all this macho man style drama. Would be cool if he came back.

I still go back to pausing a game post lag goal, getting offered what you want & still twatting on & not playing right away. From that moment on, there is no excuse for you.

I do agree I hope Seth sees how silly he looks (clowns acting silly!), cause if AJ offered to be a replacement coach in GDL, he would be in & as it stands, Serh would then also be out.

To me it seems like AJ only scored because of the lag spike. If it really was looking like a sure goal before the lag spike I don't think Seth would argue it. Seth claims he was trying to get his defender to strip Granato and I think that if there was "no defender on screen" as AJ said, then Seth wouldn't complain in the first place.

I don't think it's a b***h move on Seth's part for not accepting the empty net goal, because AJ obviously didn't want to pull the goalie, and it's the principle that matters more in these scenarios. It's more the fact that you KNOW the game was altered by the lag spike yet for some reason your opponent doesn't care about it, as if they have no honor.

The point is, you play the game as it should have played out if a lag spike had never occured.

I also don't like AJ's word because I've had AJ deliberately take advantage of a lag spike against me during a league game. He also admits it's ok to take advantage of lag spikes, so not so sure I can go against Seth here.

To me it seems like AJ only scored because of the lag spike. If it really was looking like a sure goal before the lag spike I don't think Seth would argue it. Seth claims he was trying to get his defender to strip Granato and I think that if there was "no defender on screen" as AJ said, then Seth wouldn't complain in the first place.

I don't think it's a b***h move on Seth's part for not accepting the empty net goal, because AJ obviously didn't want to pull the goalie, and it's the principle that matters more in these scenarios. It's more the fact that you KNOW the game was altered by the lag spike yet for some reason your opponent doesn't care about it, as if they have no honor.

The point is, you play the game as it should have played out if a lag spike had never occured.

I also don't like AJ's word because I've had AJ deliberately take advantage of a lag spike against me during a league game. He also admits it's ok to take advantage of lag spikes, so not so sure I can go against Seth here.

I remember the game. If the game lag spiked a tenth of a second later allowing you to shoot and robbing me of a perceived chance to play defense in a hopeless situation would you have taken the goal back?

Child please

I remember the game. If the game lag spiked a tenth of a second later allowing you to shoot and robbing me of a perceived chance to play defense in a hopeless situation would you have taken the goal back?

Child please

I would give it back if it was obvious the goal would have never happened otherwise in that scenario. It's just like the penalty shot bug when you can score in the waiting period between the whistle and a penalty shot. I always give those goals back if they ever do occur because I know the goal I scored isn't legit.

However, in the scenario that happened in our game, the lag spike made me skate right past an empty net despite being behind all your defenders and even your goalie. I don't think it was even possible for me to hit your goalie from where I was, that's how much net I had to shoot at. To me, that's a situation in which you have to accept that I would have scored without any lag. I didn't like how you outright refused to give me a goal because it was "part of the game".

Edited by Premium

To me, that's a situation in which you have to accept that I would have scored without any lag.

So once I sift through your crap. You agree with me. Good job talking out of both sides your mouth again.

I'm done with you plabax.

Seth on the other hand, that's a good bud.i hope we can move forward from this disagreement eventually

So once I sift through your crap. You agree with me. Good job talking out of both sides your mouth again.

I'm done with you plabax.

Seth on the other hand, that's a good bud.i hope we can move forward from this disagreement eventually

Well if we agreed then you would have given me the goal.. no? You think it's ok to take advantage of lag spikes and I don't, so we don't agree.

You're the guy who scores with the penalty shot bug in Game 7 OT because it's "part of the game". Don't agree at all.

Edited by Premium

During the entire 30 minute standstill, there was not one mention from him of the play being a "money goal, or it would have been a goal anyway" type talk. If that was the case (to which I say it wasn't) wouldn't you think he'd say something of that sort? Hmmmmm, a little odd isn't it? His argument during this time period was that he made the hit so he deserved a scoring chance. I mentioned the unwritten rule/code and his response was "I've never heard of anything like that".

To suggest I didn't want the empty net goal to tie it is a mind boggling and false, as that is what this whole ordeal was about. The ball was entirely in A.J.'s court. He agreed to do the ethical thing after and even the score by pulling his tender, but then changed his mind because he wasn't (per the rules) required to do so. He had every right to keep that goal, rules are rules and it was legal.

I've never paused a game, debated any goal, quit a game, broken a controller. I always flip the puck away when someone gets goalie locked. I don't turn around for a 2nd attempt if the puck is poked from me on a penalty shot. If shooting the puck results in a goal after the whistle, I pull my goalie. I don't throw fairness out the window to gain an advantage. When more than 1 person mentioned that my team trade with Voc (Que for Phi) was unbalanced based on statistics, I retracted it with Voc.

So I'm either a whistle-blower or a sore loser, depending on what lenses you're wearing.

Let's clear this up do its muddied w/ b.s.

You said he offered then retracted to give you a goal, but aren't specifying how much time you let elapse before he rescinded his offer.

He said he retracted after you insisted on waiting for Raph'a response, which if a game crashes after 20 mins, I agree if you made me wait 20 mins to hear Raph'a take on it & Raph said I'm not in th wrong, then I'm not going to be so white about it.

I play you & plabs a lot & seem to get lag on my end but not on yours. Others have had this vs you as well in the past & ive not stated I need extra goals to compensate.

I played plabs 2 games yesterday. Game 1, I had lag on my end but could tell he had none. 9-0. Game 2 was smooth & score was 4-1.

You don't hear me running around acting like some injustice was done to my GAA. Also, I know Raph don't post when he loses over lag.

So yeah, it's sore losing when you win 1 out of 5 games & have one lag goal to byatch about.

I feel Raoh owes us an explanation to if he previously has turned byatch, as Ice implies here.

Blaming lag post defeat is such sour grapes.

EVEN IF true.

FYI Seth, my post here against your perspective has NOTHING to do with your uber lame dump the puck style game you've been employing of late, but as long as we are all byatching, I'd like to add it's low level bush league. I'd feel just as lame sitting behind the net and forcing you to chase me back there once I had a lead as you icing the puck 5 times in a row until you finally beat me to the dump pass & score.

....be so white about it.

do you ever post without typing out something sexist/racist/violent/horrible?

anyway, this whole thing screams "onlag play is 71.4% drama!" how is this any fun? I don't understand how people enjoy onlag gaming unless they've never played the actual game.