NHL'94 Forums

Congratulations AJ!

Uncle Seth

I agree with Raph on this one, lag is part of the game. It is maddening when it happens at inopportune times like this, but if it happened when the game is out of hand (like 7-1) would it still bother you as much? Can't make rules for specific situations like a tie, wouldn't make sense.

This has happened to me a few times, some in close situations. There are guys who don't play anymore that had some serious lag issues. Sometimes I just played through the game to get it over with and take the L. It sucks, but I don't think it warrants a restart. I think of it similar to goalie lock and other stupid glitches.

I'm more like Seth, I don't like running up the score on guys (has cost me a few games too), I flip the puck or I'll wait if there's goalie lock, etc. Not everyone is like that, and I don't expect them to, you have to accept that.

However, in the scenario that happened in our game, the lag spike made me skate right past an empty net despite being behind all your defenders and even your goalie. I don't think it was even possible for me to hit your goalie from where I was, that's how much net I had to shoot at. To me, that's a situation in which you have to accept that I would have scored without any lag. I didn't like how you outright refused to give me a goal because it was "part of the game".

Oh and never expect "it was a sure goal". Even the 6 ShA guys miss open nets often.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not "part of the game", it's garbage. Why would you accept that it's part of the game when you don't have to? Just erase any negative effects that come out of a lag spike. It's not hard. If you have honor then you can play as if it doesn't exist.

If you know a lag spike has messed with the game, have the decency to fix it, that's all. We're talking about lag spikes, not just the average lag. Clearly a lot of the guys replying to the thread don't understand the difference.

It's not necessarily a "specific" situation, it's just a situation that is only likely to arise with certain specifics. The argument would be no different if the game was 7-1, but you wouldn't come across it as often because either coach wouldn't care to challenge for it in a blowout game.

Also, Goalie locks are not random, so you can't compare it to a freak lag spike.

This situation would be no different if there was a bug that randomly awarded or took away a goal from a team during play. Essentially, AJ was awarded a goal due to randomness and Seth is saying "WTF? Mind pulling the goalie?" but AJ claims "It's part of the game, too bad...".

Oh and never expect "it was a sure goal". Even the 6 ShA guys miss open nets often.

Why would you look at it that way? The NHL awards automatic goals instead of penalty shots on empty nets, but why is that the case when players like Patrik Stefan and Craig Smith missed open nets? The chance of scoring on an empty net breakaway is only 99.9%.. guess it's unfair to award an automatic goal then since it's not certain.

It's the same thing in NHL '94, there are tons of situations or positions in which you easily score more than 99% of the time. If a lag spike happens in a similar situation and the goal isn't scored, you do the right thing and give them the free goal.

To me this is the Bartman incident of NHL94.

Seth argues for the AJ to give back a goal because of lag.

The Cubs argued for Fan Interference.

Raph rules it is part of the game.

Umpire Steve Everitt ruled no fan interference as the ball had crossed the plane into the stands.

AJ wins!

Marlins win!

Seth is pissed.

Cubs are pissed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident

Or Brett Hull's 1999 goal to win the Stanley Cup.

Should the Stars have given the goal back?

Don't let it ruin a friendship between 2 great guys and great players. :exciting:

Look at the bottom of the article and the defense many Cub players made of Bartman.

Pointing out all the other things in the game that happened.

To often we focus on one thing and put to much blame there.

do you ever post without typing out something sexist/racist/violent/horrible?

anyway, this whole thing screams "onlag play is 71.4% drama!" how is this any fun? I don't understand how people enjoy onlag gaming unless they've never played the actual game.

THE TROLL COULDN'T RESIST!!!

So you know, a little while back, thinking of you while I was squatting down one night, I started up an AIM CHAT GROUP just in your honor :)

I'd tell you it's name and maybe even invite you, but it's so graphic, I'd get my precious post deleted.

If anything comes out of this, it should be at least a gentleman's ruling - if not a full on league ruling of how to deal with lag spikes.

The lag spike always puts the defending team in the worse position, that is a fact. Absolutely no way anyone should get a free goal just because it's part of the game.

The lag spike always puts the defending team in the worse position, that is a fact. Absolutely no way anyone should get a free goal just because it's part of the game.

In a nutshell, after all the rhetoric, this is the meat of the issue:

1. Seth says it was a free goal due to lag

2. AJ says it was an earned goal and lag did not impact that fact

So really it boils down to two different eye witness accounts (his word against his).

Not true -- plenty of times a lag spike occurs during an outlet pass on offense, a one-timer pass, shot, etc that gets missed due to the timing. Advantage defense.

In a nutshell, after all the rhetoric, this is the meat of the issue:

1. Seth says it was a free goal due to lag

2. AJ says it was an earned goal and lag did not impact that fact

So really it boils down to two different eye witness accounts (his word against his).

This is why you should always record your games. A recording here would have been very helpful to at least see the goal and situation.

Aqua, I think if that's the case, I could understand some of Seth posting up here in sour grapes.

But what I'm not hearing is he said AJ offered and then later rescinded. AJ said he offered but rescinded after having to wait 20 mins. AJ offered with the presumption they would get back to the game & finish. He clearly did not think he should have to. But it would seem that Seth felt entitled to not only be given the goal PLUS be given the verbal acceptance of his rights by AJ.

Why did Seth not just take the offer when it was originally made?

And second, stopping a game over a lag spike & then not playing again for 20 mins is the more egregious "gentleman's foul", imo.

Some insistence of AJ's "confession" while pausing a finals game is the far bigger "I'd punch you in the nads for this if we were playing on the same room" type thing!!

Either way, we know AJ plays threw lag & lag spikes & it's part of the online game. I doubt AJ is manipulating the lag spikes as I've previously joked I thought plabax can do. But we also know Seth & AJ EXPECT you to surrender back lag spike goals .

You can't fix this.

Here are 17 more reasons why:

http://my.xfinity.com/slideshow/sports-badsportscalls/2/

No legislation, code, video replay, nothing it is part of all games and life.

https://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/worstcalls/010730.html

Shake hands and move on!

Edited by CoachMac

Not true -- plenty of times a lag spike occurs during an outlet pass on offense, a one-timer pass, shot, etc that gets missed due to the timing. Advantage defense.

A missed chance is a lot less disruptive than a free goal.

This is why you should always record your games. A recording here would have been very helpful to at least see the goal and situation.

The state could have been saved and then Instant Replay :P

Ooh. I didn't know Save State saved Replay.

So, if I'M not recording a game, but see something crazy crap I want to play back another day, I just hit save state, and be sure not not record over it.

Got something out of all this after all :)

The state could have been saved and then Instant Replay :P

Good point!

So, if I'M not recording a game, but see something crazy crap I want to play back another day, I just hit save state, and be sure not not record over it.

Yep!

The biggest thing being overlooked here is the context of the play. Yes, lag spikes are part of the game. If it were a season game, I would agree, you should bite the bullet and take the spiked goal and move on.

However, this was a tied critical game in the finals with a few minutes left in the third... and it was between two veterans who aren't named wags or dcicon. I think most people would expect a vet (thus making it an unwritten rule) to give back the spiked goal and try to win in a legitimate fashion, rather than take the win on a quasi-legitmate goal.

... And I think that's the biggest problem: Even if there was a good chance that seth wouldn't have prevented the goal, why take what would probably end up as the series-clinching goal off of a quasi-legitimate play?

Edited by Wittgenstein

The biggest injustice in this is I don't even know what a lag spike is....Crazy because I just purchased bud at a store Thank u Trudeau

You are a lag spike

The biggest injustice in this is I don't even know what a lag spike is....Crazy because I just purchased bud at a store Thank u Trudeau

Same... What's a lag spike?

And this brings back flashbacks of the earlier days of 94, the days of Carse, drp1zza, wags and hokkee causing havoc! :exciting:

I'll be on the side lines for this one lol

Same... What's a lag spike?

And this brings back flashbacks of the earlier days of 94, the days of Carse, drp1zza, wags and hokkee causing havoc! :exciting:

I'll be on the side lines for this one lol

And Tacoman famous dial-up.

THE TROLL COULDN'T RESIST....

you couldn't? maybe you should see a doctor about that. may be some form of Internet Tourette....

It so funny that I always catch you Trolling while I'm sitting down on the crapper.

It does always make the moment so much more amusing, at least on my end.

I got this little game I've taken to,

trying to pick which turd is Tru :)

Saved netplay replays won't show the lag spikes/freezes, only the results. So you'll just see AJ do a crease cut or whatever it was. Wouldn't really prove anything other than provide a window of how much time the spike may have lasted as the human-controlled players coast for its duration.

That's how this entire video was made (and probably lots of other ones)

Very unfortunate ending. I had a situation in one playoff series where it kept de syncing. Like 5x, I was down by 2 and had to keep adding time to try to get it right from when it desynced. I can say that I felt guilty asking for something like that. Hard for me to imagine Seth arguing like this unless it was pretty ridiculous.

AJ's flip flopping points to some rationalization that he knows it was at least questionable. Why else would be agree even for a second to give the goal back.

That being said, this is pure gossip and I know nothing. So why am I even commenting?

also there is a difference between things in the game and those not in the game. Goalie lock, stupid but part of the game. Penalty shots after poke check also in the game. Glitch goals (got scored on by two yesterday in two games) also in the game.

lag is not. It doesn't deserve comparison to those other issues, except maybe the 0 second glitch goal.