NHL'94 Forums

Film Discussion Topic; Sports video games vs The Rest

I will be interviewing a retro video game You Tube personality for the film in the next month. (I will tell who he is closer to the date and its confirmed). My main question for him is "In the world of Retro video game collecting where do sports games fit in?"

I would like to hear your guys view on this question and any sub topics that mite pop up...

I suspect that people who are really big video game fans aren't that big on sports or sports games, though I could be wrong...

A big difference between sports games and other games is there isn't really a mission or ending. You don't beat the game, you just get bored of it or replace it with the next version. Whereas with old games, they tended to be quite hard and you would play them for a few weeks or months straight in order to beat them, and it was quite a memorable experience. Sports games, I suppose their longevity comes more from playing vs your friends than the game itself (although I did have a couple memorable cup runs... but it wasn't really a challenge when a halfway decent player can win 99% of games).

There could be a perception that sports games set a bad precedent with the yearly money grab editions, which games like Call of Duty now mimic.

Another thing is that it seems like sports games have always sold pretty well, so even 20 years down the road it's still quite easy to find used copies. A big part of retro game collecting is games that are valuable because they're rare.

Some games aren't rare at all, but still hold a lot of value because they are just so universally loved. For whatever reason, this doesn't really seem to happen with sports games. 94 is a great example of this because even though it's so well loved, you can still pick it up for $0.50 at a flea market lol

Sports games seem disposable because of the yearly updates now but a classic game endures. That's why people put in a lot of work to update the rosters of old games, and not just the classics like on here. MVP Baseball lost the MLB license in 2005 and you can find roster updates for the 2005 version because it was the peak of that engine.

For the sake of it, I decided to check out IGN's top 100 greatest games of all times.

From the entire list, 2 sports games TOTAL, made the list.... they were Mike Tyson's punch out, and tony hawk.

Is there a bias against sports in the list? Probably.

So I decided to check another top 100 list

http://www.slantmagazine.com/features/article/100-greatest-video-games-of-all-time

Total number of sports games in the top 100 = 0

Sports games don't get the love I guess.

I actually couldn't find a top 100 best sports video games list. but I did find a top 50 list someone made.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/925327-50-best-sports-video-games-of-all-time/page/51

Sports games are the only video games I play.

In fact sports games are the only reason that I would ever consider playing a video game.

1. NHLPA 93

2. NHL Hockey (92)

3. NHL 94

4. Tecmo Super Bowl

5. Tecmo Bowl
6. RBI Baseball

7. NBA Jam

That is it as far as I am concerned with video games. I tried some Madden Football and Bill Walsh on GENS but always went back to Tecmo. I bought 95 hated it and went back to 93 and never bought another game or system.

It is really strange how much I hate video games as a whole, but love these few.