NHL'94 Forums

Film Discussion Topic; What do you want to see?

Lots of the live footage from all the tourneys you attended. Interviews etc. what the crew did at Real Sports with post game interviews was an awesome experience

quick set of ideas...

game history (92 etc, those guys)

94 specific development (mark lesser, anyone else..)

why is SNES 94 so different??

ron barr

game's reception

people's memories/stories, playing their friends, brothers...

stars of the game (roenick - he says someone told him he got through college on money from bets and playing with roenick)

the game gets re-written for 95... goes to 3d eventually.. modern games...

94 modern community (forums, whatever else you may have turned up)

why do people still play it?

sega/snes "rivalry"

classic league

game hacks, modern rosters, updated graphics, the NOSE tool

GDL league

weight bug (the secret to why roenick was so good) and fix

tournaments

the fuuutuuurree???

quick set of ideas...

game history (92 etc, those guys)

94 specific development (mark lesser, anyone else..)

why is SNES 94 so different??

ron barr

game's reception

people's memories/stories, playing their friends, brothers...

stars of the game (roenick - he says someone told him he got through college on money from bets and playing with roenick)

the game gets re-written for 95... goes to 3d eventually.. modern games...

94 modern community (forums, whatever else you may have turned up)

why do people still play it?

sega/snes "rivalry"

classic league

game hacks, modern rosters, updated graphics, the NOSE tool

GDL league

weight bug (the secret to why roenick was so good) and fix

tournaments

the fuuutuuurree???

Well somz!

You will be happy I got 80%-90% of that covered :)

Honestly I love '94 so much I am looking forward to anything and everything! If it was an hour of Lesser/Orr/Brook talking about programming the game, I'd love it. If it was an hour about the community online and king of '94, I'd love it. If it was people talking about the game, I'd love it. If it was Mikeys quest to break the '94 PAL system world record on Genesis, I'd love it.

I think you get the point. I'm excited to watch it because "I" know I'll love it regardless. I'm mainly curious how you tell this story in such a way that non-94 fanatics will respond to and enjoy the documentary. I enjoyed king of kong, the long documentary on Smash, Ecstacy of Order (Tetris), and I'm excited to see how this plays out. Because that's not something I can do and I am impressed with the folks who make this happen. Best of luck!

Btw, I plan on hosting a screening in my town when it comes out (if I'm allowed to)...I've been surprised how excited people get when I tell them about Pixelated Heroes!

You know, me and Atomic Raven used to talk about making a doc on the game. Unlike Mikey, who makes sh*t happen, we were all talk, and zero action. I salute you, Mikey, for making this happen! And I am sure whatever you put together will be amazing!

Our own idea was to do a road trip movie, seeking out the real creators of this amazing game. Not Mark Lesser, but the guy or guys before him, most responsible. The guy or guys that got the engine right, and perspective right, and the look and feel, that existed in the earliest version of this game, NHL Hockey / EA Hockey from 1991, way before NHL'94.

Thanks to the interweb, I have done enough research to know the sole programmer of this game originally, and the first Madden game too, was a wunderkind named Jim Simmons. He is the guy I most want to hear from. I am a programmer myself, and not really much of a hockey fan honestly, and I would love a doc that was 80% on the early development of the game -- especially Jim Simmons! -- and 20% on the cult community that still plays it to this day. Hearing from hockey players that are in the game, but don't really have a love for the videogame like we do, is personally not interesting to me. (I know I may be expressing a minority opinion, but thought I would put it out there.)

But I look forward to whatever you put together, Mikey!

Edit: Actually one player I would like to hear from is Jeremy Roenick. I would like you to let him know that a big part of what made him the best player in the game was actually a glitch, and explain the weight bug to him! I would love to see his reaction to that!

Edited by aqualizard

If it was Mikeys quest to break the '94 PAL system world record on Genesis, I'd love it.

Well that makes it easy lol!!

Of course Kingraph will have his own copy to screen and ill try my best to be there!!!

I'm with Raph. I'm game for anything. But I'll add in a couple questions that you may want to consider for your doc.

1.Why hasn't there been another game made like '94? (ie game controls, similar manual goalie control, one timers)

2.What will it take to make someone not interested in the NHL'94, interest in watching the doc?

Thanks...love you bud.

But I look forward to whatever you put together, Mikey!

Dude, I can tell you did a lot of research! trust me when I say this... I don't want to tell you any spoilers, but you will know when you watch the movie that i uncovered how the game was made

The film will be amazing for all of us NHL 94 fanatics, regardless of what it's all about. But I'm super interested to learn the background story of the game's development, and to see some clips and sound bites from guys I've gotten to know from the tournaments.

I think you can succeed in bringing it to the mainstream (primarily other sports fans, hockey fans, gamers, and retro fans), if you can show the passion that people have for this game, and tell your story as you try to learn what makes this game so beloved and enduring.

You've got lots of great footage by now I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how it all comes together! We've got all the faith in you bud!

After hanging w/ Mikey some in Toronto, I'm 1000% sure that he will have the most important part covered, IT WILL BE ENTERTAINING. If nothing else is done right, I'm sure that part will be, as that dude is a "wild & crazy guy!"

I'm with Raph as well, I'm sure all subjects of '94 will cover my interest just fine. BUT, to me, I'm MOST looking forward to seeing how "hollywood" Mikey & his crew can make all this look, and how legit he can make this obsession of our's look.

For me, it will be cool to have something to point to (I'll be buying a copy & putting in a glass case/frame & HANGING it up on the living room wall above the CABLE MODEM where I plug in and play my games all the time. I'll be pointing to this WHILE I GET THOSE DAMN looks from the wifey.

:) :)

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2016 at 12:35 AM, Wittgenstein said:

I'd like to see John Williams write an original score for the documentary. (If he's out of the price range, maybe Jon Brion?)

Yes and Yes. I heart huckabees had some great sounds thanks to that guy.