NHL'94 Forums

Computer "Juice" Mode

Hey guys -

Long time lurker/lover of NHL94 - first time poster. I have but one simple (or maybe not so simple) NHL94 editing question as I have some previous experience with sports ROM hacking. Occasionally, the game seems to send the COM into juice mode where the gameplay becomes "tougher". Is the hex location of this known/is there a way to make the COM "tougher"? Not necessarily making the COM act smarter, but a way to increase the attributes of COM controlled players? Anything....

Thanks in advance,

-Deke

I think there are two things here. One is the ratings boost a team can get from playing at home ice, powerplay, and the random player ratings boosts at the beginning of the game. Those are known, and can be manipulated using some of the hacking tools like EARE, but it's not specific to COM. It'll be by team.

The other thing is when the COM becomes invincible, even if their attributes are wack. Not only do they play amazing, but something causes your own team's AI to become morons, and that is even more frustrating! It's not known what causes that or where that is to my knowledge.

Thanks, kingraph, for the quick reply. I was aware of the team boost ratings as I have played around with EARE/NOSE and some of the other tools before. It's the second point you mentioned that intrigues me - and I'm glad I was not imagining things by thinking the COM went into invincibility mode every now and then. I really wish there was more knowledge around this (because I'm not smart enough to figure it out for myself or have that in depth knowledge of hacking). For the casual gamer who doesn't have time to coordinate man vs. man play and is limited to a game or two against the COM when time permits. Somewhere along the line, winning games 15-0 became a turn off. And the thought of upgrading from my GENS emulator and NHL94 ROM is an even bigger turn off. :)

Anyways, thanks again. If by chance there's anyone that does have knowledge on this and is willing to share, please do.

Hey, if you're already playing on a GENS emulator and you have Internet, playing online takes 2 minutes. Just need an AIM account so you can communicate to other players you're looking for a quick game! Also, a wired connection, wifi can be laggy. When you start losing 15-0, it will be motivating! ;)

Funny, I am working on a juiced rom right now.

Hopefully will post later tonight.

Nothing new just using what we already know to try and make the CPU challenging/fun.

TSB has tons of cool things they do and challenges with the rom.

I hope to provide some of that for 94.

my first ROM was a scrubs ROM. it had two teams of all 25s, one regular allstarish team and a team totally maxed out. that made it a bit tougher to win and not impossible to lose.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/11963-nhl-94-tru-scrubs-2010/

I was going to do some testing before posting but, since you asked.

FEATURE #1

Both roms include all-new rosters for Florida and Anaheim with the heaviest and worst players in the game.

Florida has no one rated above 39 and Steph Beauregard (35) in goal. I made their worst players Line 1.

Anaheim has Brian Hayward (38) in goal. They have a first line of Dave Brown, Stu Grimson, and Jay Caufield that would be awesome in 93.

FEATURE #2

One problem with playing the CPU at the Original rom is of the top 50 players only 7 shoot enough (roughness rating of 4 or more). So I changed all players roughness rating to 4. Hopefully now Yzerman and Roenick will pull the trigger more. In some limited testing this has proven very effective in improving cpu scoring.

FEATURE #3

All teams except Florida and Anaheim have been given a Strong Home Ice Advantage and Brutal Road Ability. So to be challenged you will need to play as the Visitors. Florida and Anaheim are weak at Home and Brutal on the Road.

nhl94solo.BIN

FEATURE #4

This is only found in the second version of my rom and that is elimination of the wt bug. Not reversed but eliminated. C-checks are very difficult to perform. Leaving the B-check as your only option. This is also great practice for b-checking.

nhl94solowbx.bin

A lot of people play with no goalie to increase the challenge. or you could hack the team you want to play with so they don't have as many players as the other teams (set some players to N/A or whatever NOSE says..)

Really appreciate all the replies and ideas here.

@kingraph - I have debated playing online. I'm married with 3 young kids and have a somewhat demanding job that I have trouble disconnecting from. That simple game on 5 minute periods could potentially get paused 2, 3, 4 times when life calls and I'd hate to be the person on the other end just sitting there waiting.

@CoachMac - you're right about TSB. The guys at TB.org have that game figured out! That is what gave me this idea. I like your ideas. Ultimately, I was hoping to keep an updated ROM every year, but it is really only worth it to me if I can somehow make it challenging no matter what the circumstance (home/away) and without pulling goalies, only playing as certain teams, etc.

then there is no real solution to give you exactly what you (we all) want. that aspect you initially inquired about still eludes us.

then there is no real solution to give you exactly what you (we all) want. that aspect you initially inquired about still eludes us.

I believe you are correct.... and I'm cool with that. I spent considerable time reading through old posts to see if I could dig up something, then just decided to ask to be sure. Thanks for posting the link to your ROM, btw. I plan to try it out soon enough.

Go Bs!