NHL'94 Forums

If you can fix NHL '94 what would you do? (Gens)

For me the weight bug fix is the priority. It can resolve the CB Check problem by the way.

All improvement mentioned above are great.

I would add an editing mod, for logo and jersey. With the possibility to create hold team jersey.

And a rules option mode would be great, the European rules and Nhl rules are different, so if we can have the possibility to play a cup with just an home and away game with addition of score, and extra time only in the second game if the scores are the same. And Shootout at the end of extra time.

The finality would be the possibility to play European competitions.

As a "patch".. for me it should really just be a "Special Edition":

Fix/correct the rosters.

Fix/correct the spelling of player names.

Clean up the code, including the weight-bug, other bugs as noted by others.

Fix the jerseys to include a team crest.

As a "legacy hockey engine":

Add more teams (30+)

Advanced stats

Season Mode

In-season trades / create new players

Allow for additional buttons (shoulder buttons like SNES), one button goalie

Optimize for online-play

Choose your home/away team (like SNES)

RELEASE THE CODE!

As a "patch".. for me it should really just be a "Special Edition":

Fix/correct the rosters.

Fix/correct the spelling of player names.

Clean up the code, including the weight-bug, other bugs as noted by others.

Fix the jerseys to include a team crest.

As a "legacy hockey engine":

Add more teams (30+)

Advanced stats

Season Mode

In-season trades / create new players

Allow for additional buttons (shoulder buttons like SNES), one button goalie

Optimize for online-play

Choose your home/away team (like SNES)

RELEASE THE CODE!

You are on the right track!

Some of these have already been mentioned... and others are just pipe dreams...

- season mode

- changing lines without the puck

- better goalie physics (maybe continue to slide while making a save, not just freezing in place)

- tougher COM defense (offensive players get mauled trying to enter the front of the crease)

- smarter COM offense (players get in better shooting positions, shoot at better angles, etc) Ever watch a COM/COM shootout? My God.

- less accurate one timers - not totally inaccurate, just less accurate that normal shots

- pucks should hit top of the glass on dump-ins (not use the bottom of the boards as the base line) too many pucks leave the rink when they should be hitting the top of the glass (annoying)

- Fighting!

- allow for shot deflections (both manually attempted and natural physics)

- more goalie rebounds - hate when slapshots just stick to the goalie

- icing seems to be called when puck is released on the red line - so move the base line back a bit

- slightly better agility for all players... slightly

- back of the net bulge on goals (I mean, NES Ice Hockey had this)

- longer replays

- one timer attempt only lasts for a second or two (don't attempt one timer when trying to speed burst after a missed attempt)

- add a 4th line

• 10 months later...

This bugs me.

What happened?

Did Pro-Set pull the ad? Go out of Business?

No other Sponsor could be found?

Weird that it was just left blank.

Why did they not re-center the other stuff.

The SNES 3 Stars have no Blank spot.

NHLPA 93 3 Stars

post-3852-0-93864000-1482256012_thumb.pn

NHL 94 Original 3 Stars (with the weird blank spot)

post-3852-0-71496500-1482256026_thumb.pn

NHL 94 SNES 3 Stars Boring with no sponsor but centered.

post-3852-0-48059300-1482256454_thumb.pn

NHL Improved 3-Stars sponsored by Pro-Set (created by me)

post-3852-0-69726200-1482256041_thumb.pn

NHL 94 Improved 3-Stars sponsored by Peter Puck (created by me)

post-3852-0-69083700-1482256054_thumb.pn

Lots of cool things you could do.

Can we find this in TM and paste stuff in?

Mikey can you find out what happened?

It just seems weird that something we see every game is wrong.

Edited by CoachMac

Coach -- this is great, can you post a HOW TO thread for this? I'd love to incorporate that into future ROMs.

I wish I could!

I just did those in Paint.

We need to find the screen location in TM and then all the pallette stuff.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think this was explored one time before but I can't find it.

Anyway this a mystery to me that would be great to get fixed.

I wish I could!

I just did those in Paint.

We need to find the screen location in TM and then all the pallette stuff.

Sorry for the confusion.

I think this was explored one time before but I can't find it.

Anyway this a mystery to me that would be great to get fixed.

LOL, was so excited. Slapshot gave some nice information about how to do this on the scoreboard. Not sure about the 3 stars sponsor though.

It was from this thread you started: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/16773-3-stars-sponsor/?p=147507

The game play is perfect the way it is! It would be cool though to have the ability to play with team rosters throughout the genesis EA Sports NHL series from 92- 98.

Also, trading players and being able to create custom players would be nice.

MOST importantly online play for genesis version needs to be improved! This can't be to hard since the SNES version plays 100 times better online.

• 1 year later...

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I love this topic.

On 12/21/2016 at 11:30 AM, jackandjose said:

The game play is perfect the way it is!

Ā 

Exactly! A lot of changes suggested would radical alter how the game plays, and I don't want that. For example, I don't think I would want any changes to the AI that aren't actual bug fixes... I don't want the computer AI to be good, if you want good you need real human opponents.

Also, I'm surprised at how many people want to nerf One-Timers, they are pretty much my favorite part of the game. Yes, they are a little strong, and you don't have to aim them (bless the day back in 1994 when I figured THAT out), but they still have to pass through skill checks: passing skills to get the puck there, and of course shot power and accuracy to get in the net. Playing the 2on2 mod, where every player is 4 out 5 for every skill, has been illuminating as to the skill dependencies; even good players will completely miss the net sometimes.

Bug fixes:

-Weight bug

-Getting stuck as manual goalie (a goalie button would be awesome, but would be a lot more then a bug fix)

-Some triggers still occur after the whistle (such as the breakaway; with line changes on you can trigger a breakaway with the friggen goalie!)

-AI players will wait at blue line even if Offsides is turned off. (ok, this is the one place where better computer AI might be a good thing)

-Goalie AI on Passes: they should treat any puck coming at them like a shot (yes, I think that "pass goals" should be eliminated)

-Penalty shots have some minor issues: sometimes you still get one even if you score after the penalty was called, and you can often get rebounds that shouldn't count (whistle sooner)

-A few small things with One-Timers: they don't trigger offsides, and sometimes your guy gets stuck in the animation if the pass misses, sometimes for ludicrously long periods.

Ā 

Mixed bug fixes/improvements

-B button on defense is inconsistent. The logic of closer player doesn't always match up to what you see on the screen, so sometimes will switch you out when you are trying to defend, even when you appear to be closest already.

-Breakaway counter is much too strict, like how it doesn't count with incidental goalie contact

-Manual line changes are a mess: should be able to call a line change any time you want, whether or not you have the puck, and from wherever you want on the ice. should be able to do it from anywhere. You shouldn't have to give up possession, either, you should be able to skate into the the other teams zone and leave it behind the goal while the rest of your team changes.Ā  Also, holding down the A button goes out of the rink WAY too often.

-I guess if we were to have all six buttons, I would want separate buttons for : Poke check/trip, line changes, and manual goalie.

Ā 

I would NOT want a modern crease, or a shootout to determine ties. This is how the (real) game was played back then!!! (I wouldn't want to add a two line pass, its accurate for the time, but the rink is too small for it to make sense)

Ā 

Ā 

On 2/8/2016 at 12:23 PM, Quadruple Deke said:

- more goalie rebounds - hate when slapshots just stick to the goalie

An interesting point!

I sort of agree, but that would radically change offense. As it is now, I almost never go for the kind of shots that would generally produce rebounds, because scoring them is so random. Also, rebounds are about half the goals that the AI scores, so this would be a massive buff to the computer AI.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zippy said:

An interesting point!

I sort of agree, but that would radically change offense. As it is now, I almost never go for the kind of shots that would generally produce rebounds, because scoring them is so random.Ā 

There are guys who seemingly score rebound goals at willĀ :cry:

• 4 years later...
On 12/20/2016 at 12:55 PM, CoachMac said:

This bugs me.

What happened?

Did Pro-Set pull the ad? Go out of Business?

No other Sponsor could be found?

Weird that it was just left blank.

Why did they not re-center the other stuff.

[ā€¦]

NHL 94 Original 3 Stars (with the weird blank spot)

post-3852-0-71496500-1482256026_thumb.pn

I know this is from five years ago, but in case everyone doesn't know this already, in order to centre the "Stars of the Game" text, changeĀ 0x18553 from 09 to 08.

---

p.s. I haven't actually been able to find this in the forums. If this is actually new info, I I'll publish my notes on how to modify the layout of the Stars of the Game.

Edited by AdamCatalyst

I would fix the AI players being able to push the goalie out of the crease. I would also fix the the goalie throwing the puck the opposite direction you press and lessen the times a puck bounces off a player when you pass it to him/her/it/we. Pronouns...