NHL'94 Forums

"The History of NHL '94" - My latest YT video...

Jibbajaba

This will be the only other self-promotional post I make here, I promise. I just finished up this video today. This was the reason that I talked to Amory Wong about the SNES version of the game.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think! This video is focussed more on the historical perspective of the game, rather than being a how-to, tips video, or critical review of the game. I of course mentioned this website towards the end of the episode.

Cool, nice work!

A couple little nitpicks:

* There isn't really a "flip pass", it's actually a dump in (used to do a line change) Well I'll be darned you can officially flip pass with it

* I'd say this site is where the hardest-core NHL94 aficionados reside, and while SNES fans are well-represented, the Genesis version is the more preferred version. But in the end they're both good games that seem to appeal to different personality types.

* You missed that NHL94 was actually included with the playstation 2 version of NHL 06

Cool, nice work!

* There isn't really a "flip pass", it's actually a dump in (used to do a line change)

* I'd say this site is where the hardest-core NHL94 aficionados reside, and while SNES fans are well-represented, the Genesis version is the more preferred version. But in the end they're both good games that seem to appeal to different personality types.

* You missed that NHL94 was actually included with the playstation 2 version of NHL 06

I'm pretty sure it is called a flip pass. I remember a video a long time ago showing off a couple flip pass one timers. As far as I know it isn't possible to one time loose pucks.

I'm going to watch the video for myself when I get home. Looking forward to it

Cool, nice work!

* There isn't really a "flip pass", it's actually a dump in (used to do a line change)

Thanks! Constructive criticism is always appreciated. Regarding the first point, the manual says both. Pressing A on offense performs a flip pass or clears the puck. You can certainly use it as a flip pass if you're behind the net. Regarding the second point, I think maybe I just worded it poorly? When I said something to the effect of "some NHL 94 aficionados actually prefer the SNES version of the game" I was trying to imply that most NHL 94 aficionados prefer the Genesis version, but that there was a small group of people who felt otherwise. But you are the second person to point this out, so I obviously didn't make myself clear. Regarding point 3, I can only say "crap". Thanks for checking out the vid and giving feedback!!

Great Video. I also checked out some of your others like the Genesis intro in 1989. You do an awesome job.

I also love that you gave 92 and 93 so much love.

Hopefully we can get together for some live action.

Where are you located?

I'm pretty sure it is called a flip pass. I remember a video a long time ago showing off a couple flip pass one timers. As far as I know it isn't possible to one time loose pucks.

I'm going to watch the video for myself when I get home. Looking forward to it

Thanks! Constructive criticism is always appreciated. Regarding the first point, the manual says both. Pressing A on offense performs a flip pass or clears the puck. You can certainly use it as a flip pass if you're behind the net.

You are corrrect! The manual says, "Change lines/flip pass/clear puck." It never seems to be aimed at teammates, so I didn't think it was a pass. I wonder if the game counts it as a pass attempt.

Regarding the second point, I think maybe I just worded it poorly? When I said something to the effect of "some NHL 94 aficionados actually prefer the SNES version of the game" I was trying to imply that most NHL 94 aficionados prefer the Genesis version, but that there was a small group of people who felt otherwise. But you are the second person to point this out, so I obviously didn't make myself clear. Regarding point 3, I can only say "crap". Thanks for checking out the vid and giving feedback!!

For the second point: you say "most NHL 94 aficionados prefer this game to the genesis release". Whoops! :D No worries.

Thanks for the interview you posted before and this vid and mentioning the forums! Lots of really good info.

goofballs, clowns, halfwits, dramaqueens, dropouts....

versus

aficionados

also, I'm pretty sure "King Of...." showed that it's actually split evenly, but people with spare time to bicker in America Online's chatrooms in this century tend to prefer the Genesis version.

Holy crap! I completely mis-spoke when I said that! I'm going to have to see if I can fix it. I was supposed to say "Some NHL aficionados..." not "most". Ahhhhhh.

Edit: I can't fix it without deleting the video, fixing it on my end, and re-uploading. I just added a little annotation correcting myself. I can't believe that I did that. I had it recorded the right way, then re-recorded that segment to add some extra information and unconsciously replaced the word "some" with "most". Maybe it was a Freudian slip, since I actually really like the SNES version, myself. Oh well, other than that slip-up the video turned out well...

Edited by Jibbajaba

Holy crap! I completely mis-spoke when I said that! I'm going to have to see if I can fix it. I was supposed to say "Some NHL aficionados..." not "most". Ahhhhhh.

Edit: I can't fix it without deleting the video, fixing it on my end, and re-uploading. I just added a little annotation correcting myself. I can't believe that I did that. I had it recorded the right way, then re-recorded that segment to add some extra information and unconsciously replaced the word "some" with "most". Maybe it was a Freudian slip, since I actually really like the SNES version, myself. Oh well, other than that slip-up the video turned out well...

Nothing to worry about :)

I recall there being an option on YouTube to replace the audio of an existing video, but maybe it's only available in certain circumstances?

Leave it. A little controversy never hurt publicity. & it gets the local troll on your side here.

I wonder if he trolls other sites as well. And, I'm going to flush now bud. Good thinking of you tru :)

Appreciate that interview a ton & look forward to watching this video later on tonight.

Leave it. A little controversy never hurt publicity. & it gets the local troll on your side here.

I wonder if he trolls other sites as well. And, I'm going to flush now bud. Good thinking of you tru :)

Appreciate that interview a ton & look forward to watching this video later on tonight.

Dramaqueen got banned on a Scrabble forum.

SCRABBLE. FORUM.

Lol, what is there to argue about on a Scrabble forum? Either it's a word or it isn't, and that's what the Scrabble Dictionary is for.

Brutus, like I said, I put a little annotation at that spot in the video saying that I meant to say "some". Other than that, I'm going to leave it alone. Thanks for all the compliments, guys!

well, EA tinkered with the functional existing Scrabble faceybooky app and made it broken beyond your imagination. in trying to get them to fix it, they got sick of me reporting and analyzing the disastrous changes they made. I was one of about fifty thousand disgruntled users voicing displeasure about being used as testers while they ruined a good thing for profit. it reads as ridiculous, but if you know what EA is all about, it's not funny. thanks for trying to keep me in the troll box you built, but I quite enjoy being myself in disregard of it.

I was thoroughly informed and entertained - thank you Jibba! I remember playing NHL93 at a friends house in the latter months of 1993 as a young lad... I knew right then that "Sega Genesis" and "NHL94" would be topping my Christmas list. I was always under the impression that NHL94 came out right around Christmas, but I sounds like it was released a few months prior since you mention late September. I suppose ignorance is bliss... if I knew it was already released, I probably would've been caught shoplifting like when Bart stole "Bonestorm"!

well, EA tinkered with the functional existing Scrabble faceybooky app and made it broken beyond your imagination. in trying to get them to fix it, they got sick of me reporting and analyzing the disastrous changes they made. I was one of about fifty thousand disgruntled users voicing displeasure about being used as testers while they ruined a good thing for profit. it reads as ridiculous, but if you know what EA is all about, it's not funny. thanks for trying to keep me in the troll box you built, but I quite enjoy being myself in disregard of it.

Oh I don't doubt they messed up the game.

But I suspect you were banned not for your criticism but rather your obnoxiousness when delivering it.

This is a great video bud. Thanks for posting! (There's goes the first 15 minutes of mikey's doc).

As for the snes vs sega debate, is there info out there on how many copies were sold on each system? The last two live tournies saw registration pretty much go at the same pace for each console.

This will be the only other self-promotional post I make here, I promise.

WE love anything that talks about 94. So never concern yourself with self -promotion. IT's been great!

This is a great video bud. Thanks for posting! (There's goes the first 15 minutes of mikey's doc).

As for the snes vs sega debate, is there info out there on how many copies were sold on each system? The last two live tournies saw registration pretty much go at the same pace for each console.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Canada has something to do with the SNES representation.

...I suspect....

okay. here it was always for the crucial trash-talking component of the game. there it would have been very well deserved. but you don't know and decided to try to mock me for it, doing a similar thing to what I used to do around here, but unrelated to the game. so... stooping to the thing you hate? cute on you.

okay. here it was always for the crucial trash-talking component of the game. there it would have been very well deserved. but you don't know and decided to try to mock me for it, doing a similar thing to what I used to do around here, but unrelated to the game. so... stooping to the thing you hate? cute on you.

I plugged this stupid gibberish into google translator and it came back:

"I am a g&y f&ck."

that was good stuff. thanks for the laugh. THAT's how you trash talk. it didn't need to be homophobic, but at least it was funny.

and that can often push the humor over the meh/ha line, but a good one doesn't need it. your fecal jokes don't break through, but the translation one was a success. I would enjoy playing against you in person. SNES, of course, as that other popular one is frustratingly broken and clunky, like a combination between NHL Hockey ('92) and SNES NHL '93.

>>>"obnoxious comment"

>>"you're obnoxious"

>"high-horse BS"

>>>>what?

>>>>>>>does that mean something?

>>>>>>>>>"something in quotes"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>a bunch of less-than signs

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>huh?