NHL'94 Forums

Deciphering ROM Stats

aqualizard

EDIT: I am going to update this first message as I come to understand the different ROM stats in VHL...

CHECKING: This is a rating of 2 things: i. the frequency that a CPU-controlled player will check; ii. the checking skill of a player (checking and weight together are used to determine success of a check) (see thread below for detailed notes)

H/F: This is the handedness. Odd numbers mean shoots right, 0 and even numbers means shoots left. (The higher the number equates to fighting skill, though this is not used for NHL'94)

ROUGHNESS: Left over from '93, but now used as passing bias? Meaning how often a CPU-controlled player shoots? (A guy like Gretzky would have a high "Roughness" because he is inclined to pass over shooting.)

ENDURANCE: Not used.

AGGRESSION: As far as can be determined, not used.

----------------
Here is my original first message sking about checking:

I should also note some additional info in the excel sheet. I include the "checking ability", a rating we use in Blitz and Velocity League to show how good a player is at checking based on the in-game code (uses weight and checking attribute to decide if a check is a pass/fail).

Hi Skip,
I need some help deciphering stats in the ROM.

Let's start with checking. I understand checking originally meant not how good a checker a player was, but rather how often he would check when controlled by CPU, right? Low numbers meant less.

But with the "Smozoma Blitz ROM" fix, now checking actually means how good a player checks, right? Does it also still mean what it used to? So a player with a zero checking rating will not check much when CPU-controlled, and further when you control him and try to C-Check he will also suck at it?

(I have other questions, but let's start there. I need to understand things better to draft properly.) :)

Edited by aqualizard

Right, the checking attribute still controls how often the CPU checks with that player.

What the weight bug fix does is add some code that also uses the checking attribute when calculating the result of a check, so it isn't based only on weight.

Can you expand on this? It uses checking number and weight -- and only those two -- to figure out checking ability, right?

Ovechkin has a weight of 11, and a checking ability of 5, and his checking rating = 12.9? What is the formula to arrive at 12.9?

Also, is there just two results for checking success, pass or fail? Or does a higher rating mean more likely to injure, or to keep a guy on the ice longer?

Edited by aqualizard

Checking Ability Calc for Blitz: (6 x weight) + (10 x checking) - 13) / 8

Ovechkin: ((6 x 11) + (10 x 5) - 13) / 8 = Check Ability

(66 + 50 -13) / 8 = 12.9 (12.875)

You can read through the weight bug fix thread for more details: forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/8030-how-to-fix-the-weight-bug-gens/

You can read through the weight bug fix thread for more details: forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/8030-how-to-fix-the-weight-bug-gens/

Ok thanks for the info, Smozoma and Raph. I did read through that thread now. However, I stil have two questions I did not see answered there:

1. Does high checking rating (or anything else?) have an impact (pun intended) on likelihood of injury, or how long someone might stay down? (I am pretty sure players all stay down the same amount of time, but want to make sure. The injury part of this Q was asked in the thread above, but I think ignored?)

2. What is the formula for a successful check? (I am trying to determine how "checking rating" factors into things? Like what is it weighed against? I am sure it is not Attacking Checking Rating - Receiving Checking Rating, because ability to take a check is different than ability to deliver one? Then again in real life half the time somebody tries to check Ovechkin the checker ends up going down instead of OV, so maybe?) If this info was there, I missed it. (I did see NYI80-83 propose their own formula using a mysterious "balance" attribute, but Smozoma said it was flawed.)

Edited by aqualizard

I believe the "Receiving Checking Rating" is simply the player's weight. So if the players' checking rating is higher than the receiving players weight - the check will be successful.

Nobody has figured out what causes or prevents injuries to players yet.

Normal checking theory says if the weight of a player is 2 or more than the receiving player, that check will be successful most of the time.

Think of checking rating as the new "weight" of the checking player. Check resistance is still just weight.

Think of checking rating as the new "weight" of the checking player. Check resistance is still just weight.

So, to be clear, Ovechkin with his 12.9 checking rating will have a successful check against anyone who weighs 11 or less, right?

(The 11 is his 13 - 2...)

Edited by aqualizard

Ok, so I now underdtand checking, and I already understood H/F (which was a tricky one). Can you fine people help me to understand:

ENDURANCE: Hmm... I do not think this applies to games with line changes off, right?

AGGRESSION: Hmmm.... I think this is the likelihood that a player will take a penalty? (I am not sure if it applies to CPU-only, or even coach controlled players doing checks?)

ROUGHNESS: Hmmm... I think I read somewhere that this is shooting bias? Meaning how often a CPU-controlled player shoots? (A guy like Gretzky would have a low Roughness.)

Do I have these right? Or can someone correct or expand?

Ha, looking at your page I realize I probably got my thoughts on those attributes based on perusing it before! So thanks!

One thing that stands out is "Aggression", where you mention "This is a leftover attribute from ’93. Determines how likely a player is to fight. Unsure if this does anything in ’94."

I know for certain I always notice my same guys taking most of the penalties, and just assumed those guys must have high "aggression" ratings? But maybe this is determined by another stat, or even a hidden stat?

Raph is spot on with his assessment.

Although Plabax has proven and convinced me not to worry so much about weight.

The aggression thing goes back to 92.

In 92 Aggression and Fighting were the same thing and they used PIM from previous season to determine the rating so if you had high PIM you were a great fighter and low PIM you were horrible.

Side note here is that playing and losing to Raph and the Rangers every time still did provide one great memory for me. Every game I could cheap shot Ogrodnick after the whistle, get in a fight and knock him out with one punch.

In 93 they separated aggression and fighting into 2 different ratings with aggression still based on PIM's but fighting as different attribute. (See Pat LaFontaine who had high PIM previous season so high aggression, yet he was a zero fight rating)

In 94 I do not think it makes any difference but you will see guys who had high PIM with high aggression ratings. Sorta see the same with fight ratings, but I think 94 disregards both of these. :unhappy:

Good stuff guys, sorry I was late to the party. Kingraph and Smoz obv know way more than I do about everything anyways.

@AquaLizard - One thing for Season 2 of the ROM we should notice is that I lowered a lot of guys checking rating, which should affect how our league feels in regards to hitting. If you look at Season 1 rosters vs. the Season 2 ROM as it is, and you'll notice a difference, especially among the top players. Take a look at the change pages in the excel sheet to see which guys had reduction in a given category. Ovechkin is down to a 11.6 checking ability for season 2, so he'll still bash everyone :)

Aggression:

For the Season 1 ROM, I tried to lower the aggression (every player was -1 what they'd have, Matt Martin and one or two other guys I forget, were the only 6's) to see if it limited penalties, but I don't think it did. If you look at average PP for each team or league average, it is pretty comparable to GDL or Blitz. When I last checked, I think VHL had fewer penalties overall, but I never checked the end-of-season stats. One season isn't enough to say anything about aggression + penalties, but this is something I am keeping an eye on. It could cause the CPU to get less dumb penalties I guess.