NHL'94 Forums

New League(s) interest.

So I have a couple of ideas for new league formats and would like to see if there would be any interest in them or not.

Classic with line changes and offsides on:

These were the settings when I played for awhile in the Finnish leagues. Honestly I thought that league was a very nice change of pace and forced to pass the puck around more. It also changes the power structure of the roster and makes more teams playable as lines 2-3 tend to be more similar. For examples teams like Quebec or Los Angeles who can sport 2 good lines (featuring Brutus's 1st line of GDL) instead of a just 1 great one instantly become a much higher team on the totem pole. Some stronger traditional picks get weakened by their lack of a good 2nd line (Winnipeg/Detroit) or lack of good defensemen across pairings (Chicago/Buffalo)the effect of stats is also a bit more limited due to fatigue

Fixed Weight Classic:

Same principle, makes even more teams interesting (New Jersey for example). I think this league would be interesting because it's the rom ''the way it was meant to be played'' originally.

NHL93: Using the NHLPA93 ratings on the 94 ROM. A nice chance of pace making some teams much stronger (PIT) or much weaker (QUE)

What do you guys think?

I like them.

Using 93 ratings in 94 is weird because 93 has 0-F and 94 just goes to 6.

Can be strange when imported in NOSE.

yeah. I mean it would be a ''loose translation'' maybe including historical revision. (like Roenick whos way 2 good for what he actually was)

Good ideas.

I believe someone tried to run a WB fixed Classic league. I did a quick search but couldn't find it.

I also believe the old Capitalism league run by metz used offsides (it had line changes, too). It was a pain to play. The AI in this game in regards to offsides is horrible at times. There were too many faceoffs, and the games went much longer. I think he eventually axed the offsides. Try a few games with it on, and see how it goes.

I like them.

Using 93 ratings in 94 is weird because 93 has 0-F and 94 just goes to 6.

Can be strange when imported in NOSE.

No problem, use my 0-F hack :)

Fixed Weight Classic:

Same principle, makes even more teams interesting (New Jersey for example). I think this league would be interesting because it's the rom ''the way it was meant to be played'' originally.

To me, this is the most interesting concept. As you say, this is how it was meant to be.

And in my opinion the best options are the usual "penalties on, off sides off".

Classic with line changes and offsides on, and Fixed Weight.

Goalie Button in addition.

This. Although I could go either way about offsides now that I've been thinking about it. If we did line changes without pens that might be interesting too, since we would be forced to change when the puck is in play.

Yeah I'm never allowing the heresy of a goalie button

You don't need to use them If you prefer the classic way.

The point is that sometime holding B is to long, with the Goalie button you can have faster reactions.

You like to use all the way you can find to score, but you are against the possibility to improve the defense.

Just strange. Can you give me a good reason for your veto ?

+ with the goalie button maybe more SNES players would join the league. I see only benefit.

The point is that sometime holding B is to long, with the Goalie button you can have faster reactions.

You like to use all the way you can find to score, but you are against the possibility to improve the defense.

+ with the goalie button maybe more SNES players would join the league. I see only benefit.

It changes the balance of goal scoring. Threats around the net aren't the same, and even long distance stuff like slappers sorta become too easy to stop with instant goalie control. Without a dedicated button, taking goalie control is a big commitment. This commitment is a huge part of competitive 94 goal scoring, and removing it changes this. I think for the worse, but it's arguable.

Think scoring is getting low enough, and weirdly enough having the delay increases GC. A lot of people now will just cluster the front of the net knowing that the puck won't get through unless it's coming from a 5+ SHP player. (which is quite rare). Now I don't believe SNES has that same ''issue'' since players pass with more accuracy and wing shots are more dangerous. I think a lot of good players are just starting to play ''no aggression'' defenses and playing the trap as much as the AI will allow them to. Also the 2nd thing I believe that changes the most is that in SNES goalie stats tend to persists more through GC than they do on GENS. Now some people will say that you should be able to overcome a garbage goalie with GC but it's not quite the same thing; skaters don't gain SHP or Speed as goalies gain save stats through GC.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I'm in favour of the y goalie button as the delay with holding b kills me switching between consoles. I would definitely enjoy the gameplay much more with y control.

A good deker and opportunist can overcome it and with my opportunity for snes play recently it's much better for gameplay.

Why don't we see how "easy" quick manual goalie is in Blitz then? There are no stats that support the arguments against it, let's stop with the bs.

Fact is, classic manual goalie is too slow. I think players who have never hit .700 save percentage on pure manual goalie (FPB and TK) have no say on the subject..

Being good at manual goalie requires a high level of anticipation and decent reaction timing. Once you become good enough at anticipating the play, it becomes obvious that the classic goalie delay is too slow for the pace of the game. Even with near-perfect anticipation/reaction timing, it is impossible to take goalie in some scenarios. All the quicker manual does is make it possible to take goalie in scenarios when you should be able to.

What happens sometimes is that the auto goalie moves DURING the time in which you are trying to get goalie from the classic delay. It takes 17 milliseconds to get control of the goalie. The top manual goalie players can react to about 5-7 milliseconds (my guess), so we need about 22-24 milliseconds to make a save. However sometimes we need to react in a time period in between 7-22 milliseconds to avoid auto goalie (usually 20-21) and what ends up happening is that we get scored on when we should be able to save it (we react about 14-15 milliseconds before the shot but we needed 17 milliseconds to stop it).

The Blitz/Instant delay are low enough to the point where this doesn't happen.

What happens sometimes is that the auto goalie moves DURING the time in which you are trying to get goalie from the classic delay. It takes 17 milliseconds to get control of the goalie.

Surely your times are off? I think it takes about 1/5th of a second at least, which is 200 milliseconds? So I am assuming you mean 170 milliseconds, right?

Why don't we see how "easy" quick manual goalie is in Blitz then? There are no stats that support the arguments against it, let's stop with the bs.

Fact is, classic manual goalie is too slow. I think players who have never hit .700 save percentage on pure manual goalie (FPB and TK) have no say on the subject..

Being good at manual goalie requires a high level of anticipation and decent reaction timing. Once you become good enough at anticipating the play, it becomes obvious that the classic goalie delay is too slow for the pace of the game. Even with near-perfect anticipation/reaction timing, it is impossible to take goalie in some scenarios. All the quicker manual does is make it possible to take goalie in scenarios when you should be able to.

What happens sometimes is that the auto goalie moves DURING the time in which you are trying to get goalie from the classic delay. It takes 17 milliseconds to get control of the goalie. The top manual goalie players can react to about 5-7 milliseconds (my guess), so we need about 22-24 milliseconds to make a save. However sometimes we need to react in a time period in between 7-22 milliseconds to avoid auto goalie (usually 20-21) and what ends up happening is that we get scored on when we should be able to save it (we react about 14-15 milliseconds before the shot but we needed 17 milliseconds to stop it).

The Blitz/Instant delay are low enough to the point where this doesn't happen.

So you're simultaneously arguing that it works and it doesn;t lol?

For me, and I think this echoes what others who are arguing for quick manual goalie is that after developing a taste and feel for it, it is extremely frustrating to play on the delayed man goalie. This is due in part to conceding goals that you feel you would have saved (not could) otherwise.

What I know, is that sometime I see the danger coming, I know how to make a save, but I can't, just because of the delay...

I'm definitively for the Button Goalie.

I'm pretty sure that the game would be more interesting and less frustrating.

Let's enter in the new Era ! :)

I actually think it would be less interesting. Knowing when to take the goalie is a skill and part of defensive strategy. And the game would be more frustrating from on offensive stand point.

I don't care either way, but one interesting thing about the "instant" goalie control. It screws up my game because it's not always instant. See, I think clockwise/kaneda made it so that pressing "Y" would be like goalie control with a zero delay. Meaning, the instructions aren't "press Y and you immediately get goalie control". I think it's "press Y and the delay on getting goalie control from holding B is now zero". Why is that important to know? Well, if you get knocked down, or your guy is being held, pressing Y may not get you goalie control instantly. And if you are expecting that, well, you screw yourself. Playing the regular way (or preferred shortened Blitz way), you are at least thinking of the goalie control earlier and that doesn't happen. My two cents.

Exactly. People like FPB don't realize that it is actually impossible to make some saves because the delay is so slow.

I do and that's exactly my point. You got reading comprehension issues

Edited by The Russian Rocket