NHL'94 Forums

GDL Playoffs -> ROUND 2 DEADLINE

Brutus

))UPDATED TO REFLECT RE-SEEDING((

Ron Barr Conference

HOME AWAY

NY Rangers King Raph (1) vs Rockford Icehogs Brutus (7)

Calgary Flames Zalex (4) vs Hartford Whalers Bo Knows (6)

Mark Lesser Conference

HOME AWAY

Arizone Coyotes Plabax (1) vs Edmonton Oilers Zeppelin (4)

Buffalo Sabres Icestorm (2) vs LA Kings Uncle Seth (3)

I've texted BOK about when we can get our series in. Hoping for tonight, or tomorrow night.

Raph/Zalex any word?

Zep/Plabax, do you guys know when you can get yours done?

UNFORTUNATELY, the 4 biggest slackers winners then PLAY each other next round, so hopefully, we won't all be waiting!

(LOVE how I got my series in last night, and I'm already playing the hypocrite so well :) )

WTF?!?!?!?

I thought we didn't re-seed that's why guys have gone in and updated the playoff sheets showing Raph vs Zalex && Plabax vs Zepp.

I DID NOT post those, so after seeing both your series posted and Plabax's, and having previously been playing in our leagues WITHOUT re-seeding, assumed this was the same.

More than one person has ADMIN rights, but to be clear, I did not create the Raph vs Zalex series on the site, nor the Plabbax vs Zepp. I did create the last 2 series based off of this 7 my presumption we DO NOT re-seed.

GDL has always re-seeded, except the year I was commish (and was subsequently accused of cheating, lol).

Probably Plabax posted, wasn't me.

Make the rules commish and let us know! Probably need Chaos to clean up the site, but he's on vacation for a bit.

GDL 13 PLAYOFFS

Long story short.. the unplayed games became forfeits with the winning coach being decided by my judgment. As requested and suggested by some coaches, we are better off using the old playoff format instead of the modern NHL one. If you want to know how the final standings came to be, you can message me and I'll give you the full details. We will be reseeding during the playoffs. I hope to get this up on the website soon. (?) I used the admin tools and it looks like nothing happened. So, for now, we'll have to keep our savestates should we play.

That's from Plabax last playoffs. I'll look through my posts to see if I put anything about NOT re-seeding, if not, we need to clean up the playoffs & make adjustments.

By default, without the rules being laid out PRIOR to start of the season, rules default to previous season's rule(s).

GDL has always re-seeded, except the year I was commish (and was subsequently accused of cheating, lol).

Probably Plabax posted, wasn't me.

Make the rules commish and let us know! Probably need Chaos to clean up the site, but he's on vacation for a bit.

Errr Don't think that's true. In GDL 7 I faced Swos (4th) as the (1st) while Zalex advanced (6th) but played Icestorm (2nd)

Errr Don't think that's true. In GDL 7 I faced Swos (4th) as the (1st) while Zalex advanced (6th) but played Icestorm (2nd)

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/11811-gdl-cup-7-playoffs-round-1/

You may have mistaken your seeds. Looks like it was 2 (you) vs 3 (swos) and 1 (Ice) vs 4 (Zalex). '

I posted this before playoffs began:

Playoffs/Standings/Matchups, I've ONLY been using what is in place from all the previoius GDL's.

The only thing I changed is the draft order, and how I was going to handle who would be allowed to be renewed.

I thought in GDL, DNP's cost you playoff standing, but once you determined who is IN the playoffs, you then seeded everyone based on their WIN %.

And, for Rounds 2 through Finals, no re-seeding.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about what WAS done, not what they want to be done.

I always have stated I like NO RE-SEEDING, and someone has been putting series up on the site (not me), so a second person thinks this as well.

HOWEVER, I have NOWHERE in the threads PRIOR to season showing I used this rule. IN FACT, I stated we'd be using previous rules.

SO SO SO, I'm going to privately PM the top seeds, and see what they vote on, and use that for this playoff.

I would need to beat Raph/Zalex if I were to get past BOK anyhow, and to me, a Round 2 loss is the same as a Round 3 loss, so I AM NOT angling for myself. I actually just prefer to not have to edit the site! & my post! and want to get things going/done.

I'll update this by tonight.

Ok, the playoff sheet looks a complete MESS NOW!!

Great job everyone involved, including myself. Although in my defense, I only created a few series AFTER seeing Plabax vs Zepp on there for a few days w/out comments against.

Going forward, I can handle updating the playoff site/series, so we don't need 3-4 guys doing that.

Since we need Chaos to DELETE mistakes, it's something best left for one guy to handle.

IMO, re-seeding is always the way to go.

You want people to play all regular season gms ? At least with re-seeding, it gives us one more reason to play all our games. The coaches with mots pts will always get home ice advantage this way.

I always like to NOT re-seed, because of the tourney style setup, where if you pull off the upset, you take that guys slot. More chance of a cinderella story than if a guy pulls off an upset, and then has to continuously play the best of the best all the way up the ladder.

Top seed (#1) would still play #4 seed as normally scheduled. But I also believe that eventually, to win a 4 round playoff, you generally need to beat at least one #1 seed, and another two #2-3 seeds.

I doubt anyone is not going to play their games because they A) still get best matchups in Round 1 & B) Still have the best ODDS of lowest seed for Round's 2 & 3. Not sure where the logic comes in that you wouldn't try to play all your games because even without reseeding, lower seeds still hardest road to finals.

But, in this playoff situation, I beat the #2 as the #7, now need to play the #1, and if I win, likely then the #4 in order to get to the finals and face another likely #1/#2. To me, it's better to leave the chance for a cinderella story. Top teams still have easiest path, and I'd have gotten say #2, #6 then a #1/#4 and then another #1/#2.

I realize I'm in the minority for the teams that made the playoffs.

I'll take a private vote on issues like this and a few others before start of next season to make sure I don't miss anything.

Private because you guys are a collective bunch of a-holes and always side tract things, over discuss, bloviate, etc. It's better to have one guy making the decision, but basing it off the league's majority.

Round 2 is LIVE.

Hopefully, we can catch up to speed, and get these done by Monday night this week.

Raph, I'll be around Thursday late, Friday late, Saturday late, and maybe some Sunday.

The DEADLINE will be set at Saturday 10 pm eastern (that's March 19th) for this Round.

After that time, I will assess any unplayed games and deem who forfeits, and who advances.

Also, I will also set the DEADLINE for Round 3 10 days after the last series from Round 2 finishes.

I will start to work on roll call for next season as well in a different thread.

I'm not sure why Ice/Seth did not play this weekend. Bok & Zalex are supposed to play tonight. I know that Zep has been dealing w/ a family member and lots of time in a hospital, so we hoping that gets played sooner, rather than later (and hope all is well).