NHL'94 Forums

1992/93 Season was so epic

Bob Kudelski

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I wanted to discuss it more because it's fun. The 1992/93 NHL season (which NHL 94 is based on!!) was amazing, especially in terms of offensive production from many many future hall of famers.

An interesting article from a couple years ago.

https://www.nhl.com/news/1992-93-featured-unprecedented-offensive-explosion/c-646127

I could read these stats all day:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1993_leaders.html

Looking at the league leaders for 1992/93, who was criminally underrated or overrated in NHL 94?

For example, Rick Tocchet was 14th leading scorer in the NHL, yet he's useless in NHL 94!

Cool! I'll go the opposite and say Patrick Roy was overrated based on that season performance. He wasn't in the top 5 in any category, mostly 8-9, and he is the top goalie in the game.

I like how all the top shooting percentage guys have a 5-6 rating for shot accuracy. I know that was on purpose, but still fun to see.

The early 90's were golden years for the NHL and they blew it.

91, 92, 93, and 94 were incredible.

post-3852-0-62821600-1457733853_thumb.jp

The strike in 95, Gary Bettman, expansion, instigator rule, and teams moving to non-traditional hockey markets lead to the demise of Hockey as a Major Sport in the USA.

This is also a huge part of the appeal of 92, 93, and 94 video games.

I wish the Shot Accuracy stat was based on Goals or Goals per Game.

Patrick Roy was the best goalie in the league hands down. I don't care what the stats say.

Gretzky should be rated 125.

Especially if you factor in playoffs.

1991 = 21 teams/8 canadian

Hartford

Minnesota

Edited by CoachMac

* A record 21 players scored at least 100 points during the 1992-93 NHL season. The Pittsburgh Penguins employed four of them. Wayne Gretzky was not one of them for the first time in his career.

* A record 14 players scored at least 50 goals, including seven who never reached that milestone again.Pierre Turgeon and Mark Recchi did it for the only time in their careers. Shanahan's 51 goals didn't even put him in the top 10.

Weird! I had to check to even believe this. I always assumed the 80's had a ridiculous number of 100pt/50g players every year.

That season really marked the last time that .900 was a good save percentage. Goaltending got better really fast. Could have been... Florida's trip to the Cup finals based on defensive play; sudden improvement in goalie equipment; the arrival of Hasek and Potvin changing the way goalies played.

I suppose Roy had a bit of an off-year, but he had been dominant for many years leading up to then. He also won the Conn Smythe, going 10-1 in overtime in those playoffs. .929 save %, 2.13 GAA in 20 games (0 shutouts!). Potvin led the league in the regular season with 2.50, Belfour second with 2.59.

Loved the dual 76-goal seasons by Bure and Mogilny.

Gretzky was unfairly rated, due to missing a lot of games. 40 pts in the playoffs, too, including the game 7 hat trick vs toronto. Don't know what they were thinking.

As a Leafs fan, this season was the most memorable (and heartbreaking) of my life.

Mario Lemieux - 1.15 goals per game. Insane.

Now we are lucky to see a player with 1.15 points per game.

Also Belfour's stats stand out. 71 games played is crazy, then he is 2nd in wins (41), 3rd in save pct. (.906), 1st in shutouts (7).

Mario's 160 in 60 remains one of the most bad ass achievements in hockey ever. On pace to beat Gretzky's records, misses 2 months for cancer treatment, comes back and still wins the scoring title. First game back gets a standing ovation in Philly. Imagine that happening to Sid!

I was a hockey fan before '92 but some of my earliest memories of really following the game were from this year. Everyone was talking about Selanne. Mogilny was quietly going toe to toe with him. Almo had 7 hat tricks that year, wow.

As for the ratings Gretzky, obviously got screwed but I think '92-93 Gretzky just wasn't built for videogame hockey. That unique hockey sense he had just doesn't translate to the game.

• 1 month later...

Because I picked Quebec for the upcoming Classic league, I had a look at their 1992/93 numbers. This must have been such a fun team to watch. Their stats are insane.

They had 6 guys who averaged a point per game!:

Sundin

Sakic

Duchesne (82 pts in 82 GP as a defenseman!)

Ricci

Nolan

Kamensky

Also interesting - they had Tony Twist, Chris Simon, Tim Hunter and Ron Hextall. This team was not to be messed with!

They finished 4th in the NHL with 104 points, only to lose in Round 1 to the eventual Cup winners in Montreal.

Cool! I'll go the opposite and say Patrick Roy was overrated based on that season performance. He wasn't in the top 5 in any category, mostly 8-9, and he is the top goalie in the game.

I like how all the top shooting percentage guys have a 5-6 rating for shot accuracy. I know that was on purpose, but still fun to see.

Rom was post playoffs. Hard to not bump up the Conn Smythe winner. (And overall playoff beast)

Because I picked Quebec for the upcoming Classic league, I had a look at their 1992/93 numbers. This must have been such a fun team to watch. Their stats are insane.

Sundin

Sakic

Ricci

Nolan

Kamensky

Also interesting - they had Tony Twist, Chris Simon, Tim Hunter and Ron Hextall. This team was not to be messed with!

They finished 4th in the NHL with 104 points, only to lose in Round 1 to the eventual Cup winners in Montreal.

It's such a shame the Nordiques moved. Great for Colorado and a good portion of western USA, obviously, but such a loss for Quebec. I suppose it was a good thing overall but it still really sucks. Apparently it was because they couldn't get a new arena built.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24529266/photo-what-nhl-teams-each-state-and-province-are-pulling-for

041614_fans.jpg

Hawai'i for BOS? Jersey and DeLaWhere for ANA?! I don't see any silver... so why list LAK? that's a weird map.

Hawai'i for BOS? Jersey and DeLaWhere for ANA?! I don't see any silver... so why list LAK? that's a weird map.

Jersey and Delaware are for PHI. I'm colorblind and even I can see that!

Sundin

Sakic

Ricci

Nolan

Kamensky

QUE is one of the most fun teams to play with in Classic. They aren't the best (Defense is sub-par, though Duchesne is serviceable), but they have a bunch of above-average forwards that you can mix and match with depending on your play style. Have fun with them!

oh. I can see variations in colors quite well and those two are so similar that I missed that. I never understand when they use such similar colors. I guess when you get up to 16 colors, some will be similar, so it's not as bad as when there are like four and they still use pink, orange read and brown, instead of like blue, red, yellow and grey.

anyway, I love the teams with lots of mix-and-match players to sub in. ONE of them will be hot, at least in the SNES version where some guys, scrubs as they may be, end up all jacked up like they'd been partying with Kevin "I'm-A-Crack-Whore-But-He's-A-Crack-Monster-For-Every-Hit-I-Was-Taking-He-Took-Seven-Or-Eight" Stevens.

Jersey and Delaware are for PHI. I'm colorblind and even I can see that!

QUE is one of the most fun teams to play with in Classic. They aren't the best (Defense is sub-par, though Duchesne is serviceable), but they have a bunch of above-average forwards that you can mix and match with depending on your play style. Have fun with them!

Yeah it's a fun team. I like offense by committee so their forwards suit me. Nolan and Kamensky are basically the same player - take your pick. One of them will be on. Bench drops off a bit after that but Ricci is serviceable too.

On D I favour bringing in Gusarov to steady the ship.