NHL'94 Forums

GDL XV Team selections (POLL)

Brutus

GDL XV -> Allow custom teams or NHL only??  

19 members have voted

1. 1. We've had some custom teams coming in of late (Hamilton Tigers, Rockford Icehogs, etc). Where do you stand on this?

• I am fine with it.
    • I LOVE IT!!! (as long as Raph's willing to do the art work)
    • I HATE IT. It should be only the Original Rom teams available for Classic
    • I HATE IT. It should only be for NHL Teams past or present, but not affiliates.
    • I don't like it, but I don't want to get in the way of others fun.

#1 Cleveland Barons Bassist
#2 Anaheim Mighty Ducks King Raph
#3 Buffalo Sabres Icestorm
#4 Brooklyn Americans Uncle Seth
#5 Montreal Canadiens Habs
#6 Florida Panthers Vocally Caged
#7 Calgary Flames Zalex
#8 Winnipeg Jets Zeppelin
#9 Dallas Stars TexasPachyderm
#10 Minnesota Northstars Skip
#11 Hamilton Tigers JackVandal
#12 Hartford Whales Bo Knows
#13 Chicago Blackhawks Brutus
#14 San Jose Sharks Lupz
#15 Quebec Nordiques Flaming Pavel Bure
#16 St Louis Blues Sicarius
#17 Atlanta Thrashers Beavers
#18 Philadelphia Flyers SonofFet/Dexpsu
#19 New Jersey Devils Robro
#20 New York Rangers Darko
#21 Vancouver Canucks Atomic Raven
#22 Colorado Avalanche JackandJose
#23 Pittsburgh Penguins Labs
#24 Toronto Maple Leafs Aqualizard

FREE AGENT CITIES:

Tampa Bay Lightning, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, LA Kings, Detroit Redwings, Ottawa Senators, Washington Capitals

NOT AVAILABLE THIS SEASON: New York Islanders & Arizona Coyotes

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I switched off the Icehogs to the Blackhawks.

IF we allow custom teams again, and someone WANTS the Blackhawks bad enough, I would consider going back to my Rockford team.

I care more about having two teams in one city.. that's more annoying to me and I think it shouldn't happen unless they're both actual NHL teams (Post-original 6) in the same city, like NYI and NYR obviously.

Other than that... just leave it up to you guys running the league what teams you think are good.

In general, I don't like the idea of 2 teams being based out of the same city - even NYI and NYR is kind of lame, but I see the reason for it. I ended up going with the Barons because they were an older team that was a part of the NHL at one point, because of the B, and also because I wanted the Canadiens and they were taken.

As for non-NHL teams, I think it would be a good idea if they were not included here - just NHL teams only, past or present.

I think it would be a fun idea, and of course a lot of work, if we were to do some other leagues around hockey - ie. AHL, OHL, or a best of league.

Just my .02 - Go Barons Go!

Edit - Hamilton Tigers are not a custom team - they are NHL. I would actually like them since I am from Hamilton, ON - got to hash this out with JV though.

Edited by ba55i5t

This is for fun. It is all make believe, folks. IMO you should be able to be any town or city or state you want? BUT! It has to be a unique name (no two Minnesotas) to avoid confusion.

NYI and NYR is fine with me, because they have different names on nhl94online.com. As long as they have different names, I am fine with it.

Edited by aqualizard

I think we should be able to name our teams anything we want, and from any city we want, as long as it's not offensive. What's the difference? That's part of the fun of it IMO. If someone wants to name their team the Hershey Squirts with brown jerseys, or the Carolina HurryCanes I say let em. I don't get why it has to be a real team or team that used to exist. Your opponent can score a goal on a delayed penalty call after the whistle and there's no rule stating you must pull your goalie, or the fact that people play by different rules when it comes to penalty shots or goalie locks...........but team names and locations are an issue?

Unrelated, but funny, the PGA Tour prohibits anyone from wearing shorts, but a couple weeks ago a player stripped down into his underwear, removed his shoes and socks to play a ball in shallow water......and that was totally OK.

PS, the 2 Minnesota teams is REALLY annoying, not knowing who is who when its time to play and load games etc.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I think we should be able to name our teams anything we want, and from any city we want, as long as it's not offensive. What's the difference? That's part of the fun of it IMO. If someone wants to name their team the Hershey Squirts with brown jerseys, or the Carolina HurryCanes I say let em. I don't get why it has to be a real team or team that used to exist. Your opponent can score a goal on a delayed penalty call after the whistle and there's no rule stating you must pull your goalie, or the fact that people play by different rules when it comes to penalty shots or goalie locks...........but team names and locations are an issue?

Unrelated, but funny, the PGA Tour prohibits anyone from wearing shorts, but a couple weeks ago a player stripped down into his underwear, removed his shoes and socks to play a ball in shallow water......and that was totally OK.

PS, the 2 Minnesota teams is REALLY annoying, not knowing who is who when its time to play and load games etc.

Something really feels cheap and phony about fake team names/logos/uniforms. I know it's my personal preference but it's just kind of gross playing against 1910's teams, let alone made up custom teams.

There's just a certain sense of integrity or something that comes with well known nhl teams. Wacky custom made up teams can be fun, but I think they belong in unique leagues.

I know it doesn't matter what I say cuz I'm not even playing lol, but dynasties are so much cooler when they're well known nhl teams. Also old school gdl was less custom teams and more original teams, and this is one of the older leagues so yeah.

Custom teams make it more fun, and any of the "confusion" problems people have, I admit they exist, however I HIGHLY doubt they pose any more threat than a brief few seconds on the upload or team selection pages. We HAVE a classic league, if I'm not mistaken, the whole point of GDL is to have a CUSTOM league. We change player numbers dont see why this would bother anyone.

... and any of the "confusion" problems people have, I admit they exist, however I HIGHLY doubt they pose any more threat than a brief few seconds on the upload or team selection pages.

Regarding the "confusion" you mean the two Minnesota's, right?

This was annoying, period. Even if it is a few seconds, it is so easy to avoid, so why not avoid it?

There could be a Minnesota and Central Minnesota, for instance. But having the same exact name is needlessly annoying. (The amount of time is not the issue. It is the fact that you have to think *at all*. The other teams made the transaction automatic. That is good design. Needless thinking is horrible design.)

In going back to my brown and green leafs unis from like gdl8

I think Aqualizard has Toronto.

Looks like more people are okay with alternative teams, but no double cities...based on the current list, there doesn't seem to be any non-NHL teams anyway. Can everyone just confirm their team selection below (EDIT : Just let me know if there are any changes) I may start early work on the GDL XV ROM over Easter weekend, and the first thing that needs to be done is set the teams/cities. No changes after that!

Anaheim Ducks------------kingraph
Atlanta Thrashers--------Beavers
Buffalo Sabres-----------IceStorm
Calgary Flames-----------Zalex
Chicago Blackhawks-------Brutus
Cleveland Barons---------Ba55i5t
Colorado Avalanche-------Jackandjose
Dallas Stars-------------TexasPachyderm
Detroit Redwings---------Darko
Florida Panthers---------Vocally Caged
Hamilton Tigers----------JackVandal
Hartford Whalers---------BoKnowsNHL94
Minnesota North Stars----Skip
Montreal Canadiens-------HABS
New Jersey Devils--------RoBro
New York Americans-------Uncle Seth
Philadelphia Flyers------Sonoffett
Pittsburgh Penguins------LABS
Quebec Nordiques---------FlamingPavelBure
San Jose Sharks----------Lupz
St. Louis Blues----------Sicarius
Toronto Maple Leafs------Aqualizard
Vancouver Canucks--------Atomic Raven
Winnipeg Jets------------Zeppelin

Also, if you want any uniform/logo changes from GDL 14, please let me know as well!