NHL'94 Forums

[Aug 13th, 2016 - Long Island, NY] - Possible Long Island Tournament at the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo:

Good afternoon everyone.

My name is George and I am a new poster to NHL94.com. I am the new Volunteers Coordinator for the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo which is planned to take place on August 13th, 2016 at the Upsky Hotel in Hauppauge, Long Island, New York. Here is the link to information about the expo: http://expo.liretro.com/

The expo held a NHL 94 Genesis tournament last year, and had only 6 participants. After the tournament, I looked at the popularity of the game from the community standpoint and felt that the tournament should of had more participants. This year, I am currently gathering information so I can advise the organizers to get the tournament back on the advertised tournament list. If it does get added back to the list, I hope to promote the tournament to the community through this forum and other avenues. If there is anyone from New York/Long Island Metro area who would be able to assist me with the rules and format, and give me feedback on how to make it successful, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you would like to run an NHL 94 tournament at the expo, I can provide you the contact information to the Events Coordinator and continue further discussion with him. Plus, if you are in the area and want to be a general volunteer, please let me know. We do not have the incentives program finalized at the moment, but we are trying to make it reflect our appreciation for your sacrificed time and dedicated volunteerism.

Thanks for all your feedback and support. I really hope to create a successful NHL 94 tournament for everyone and get to meet the NHL 94 community at the expo!

P.S. I am also trying to get Tecmo Bowl into the expo as a tournament. I am currently gathering information for that tournament, as well. If anyone has suggestions on how to run a Tecmo Bowl tournament or is interested in volunteering, please message me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by banditra101801

Always great to hear about tourneys, and I think we have quite a few NY and NJ guys, some of the top players even (eg the vs AI goals world record holder!). Also a bunch from PA and MA. Which version? Sega Genesis / SNES? Sega CD?? :)

This happens to be at the same time as the new Retro World Series in Houston this year (Aug 11-14)

http://retroworldseries.com/

Our usual rules are:

• 5 minute periods (games last about 10 minutes, plus however long it takes to pick teams)
  • Manual goalies (if you don't like manual goalie.. then just don't activate it :))
  • Line changes off (more newbie friendly, no taking 3 minutes to set your lines)
  • Penalties on
  • Offsides off (keeps the games shorter, but I think many people would be happy with offsides on or not care either way)
  • Home player picks 2 teams. Away player picks which of those teams he wants to play as.
  • At least double elimination (we've been doing triple, without round robin/groups)

Always great to hear about tourneys, and I think we have quite a few NY and NJ guys, some of the top players even (eg the vs AI goals world record holder!). Also a bunch from PA and MA. Which version? Sega Genesis / SNES? Sega CD?? :)

This happens to be at the same time as the new Retro World Series in Houston this year (Aug 11-14)

http://retroworldseries.com/

Our usual rules are:

• 5 minute periods (games last about 10 minutes, plus however long it takes to pick teams)
  • Manual goalies (if you don't like manual goalie.. then just don't activate it :))
  • Line changes off (more newbie friendly, no taking 3 minutes to set your lines)
  • Penalties on
  • Offsides off (keeps the games shorter, but I think many people would be happy with offsides on or not care either way)
  • Home player picks 2 teams. Away player picks which of those teams he wants to play as.
  • At least double elimination (we've been doing triple, without round robin/groups)

Thanks for your helpful information, especially the ruleset! :) Last year, we had the Genesis version in the tournament, but the organizers would be open to seeing what is the preferable version. I know that there is a running debate on which version is better based on what I have researched, but it is definitely something to discuss. Also, we need to see about what we can get in terms of equipment and available copies of the game, which can play into the factor of which version is chosen.

Also, I am glad that there is a scene out there in the NY Metro area. If I am able to get the tournament back on the list, I can definitely discuss with the organizers about how to market to the community, especially with the use of forums like this. Finally, I did not take a look at the forum post for the Retro World Series until I posted this topic, and I never even heard of it until now. I showed the organizers the link to the event and they did liked what is being advertised. We cannot change this year's expo date since we have already advertised it for the 13th and reserved the space for that time. The event will definitely be considered when planning the schedule for next year. :)

Edited by banditra101801

At our big tourney last year, we played both Genesis and SNES (64 players on each), then had a sort of playoff between the two champs to crown an overall winner (just for bragging rights -- prize money was for top 3 on each console).

SNES had a slightly better time attracting new (non-forum) players to the big tourney, although Genesis is more popular on here (more leagues, more players). The Houston tourney is Sega, so maybe go for SNES, since they're at the same time? I don't know how many SNES players live around NY though (I"m a sega player, so I'm mostly just familiar with those guys).

I'll DEFINITELY try to attend if you get '94 back on the list, but I'm on vacation around that time...I might land back home the night before or that day, we'll see. I may even come just for Tetris (NES), lol.

And having said that, we could probably get 10-12 guys there just from this community, not to mention additional advertising through nhl94.com Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I still think Genesis is the more popular console, and I believe SNES is a Canada thing. I have no proof to support my belief though, :lol:

Oh, and if you haven't posted on http://tecmobowl.org/yet, you'll get some guys to respond there as well. I've been talking with a NY guy (BadMoonRison) over there about setting up a '94 tournament in Astoria. They have monthly Tecmo meetups at Break Bar, and I wanted to leverage that setup for a '94 Genesis tourney.

Might make more sense to help you in LI instead of trying another one. The Tecmo guys are super helpful and run lots of tournies, so you'll get good info there.

I still think Genesis is the more popular console, and I believe SNES is a Canada thing. I have no proof to support my belief though, :lol:

Entirely possible. Anyone know the breakdown of Canada/USA SNES players on here? Is it predominately Canadian?

2016 Fall Classic Gens

Gens A

13 USA

2 Canada

1 Finland

1 in the GA

Gens B

15 USA

5 Canada

2 France

Gens Total

28 USA

7 Canada

2 France

1 Finland

1 in the GA

2016 Fall Classic SNES

SNES A

9 Canada

3 USA

SNES B

6 Canada

6 USA

SNES Totals

15 Canada

9 USA

OVERALL

GENs 72 % USA, 18 % Canada

SNES 63 % Canada 38% USA

From the King of 94 tournament in Toronto

GENS

40 - Canada - 62.5 %

24 - USA - 37.5%

SNES

57 - Canada - 89%

6 - USA - 9.5 %

1 - Wutang Clan - 1.5%

I agree, having a Genesis '94 tourney would be more popular than SNES. Also, I would be there if you can get NHL '94 back in (I might come anyway). Super Punch Out (SNES) would be a good achievement game too!

Loving all of these retro tournaments popping up, online play is great - but face-to-face is the real way to play.

Community is what it's all about.

I agree, having a Genesis '94 tourney would be more popular than SNES. Also, I would be there if you can get NHL '94 back in (I might come anyway). Super Punch Out (SNES) would be a good achievement game too!

I will definitely take the feedback regards to Super Punch-Out! I cannot guarantee anything since the original Punch-Out! is there, but does not hurt to suggest it. Thanks!

Loving all of these retro tournaments popping up, online play is great - but face-to-face is the real way to play.

Community is what it's all about.

Face-to-face is awesome to see because of the social interaction with the competitors alone. I am glad more retro tournaments and expos are popping up for the opportunity to share the passion about our retro gaming community, in general.

On a side note, I hopefully will be talking with the organizers this week to discuss ideas about specific details about the NHL 94 and Tecmo Bowl tournaments. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the input so far!!!

My buddy and I will be signing up anyway. There is a great list of games there!

I suggested Super Punch Out because there are ridiculous ways of beating a majority of the fighters in under 10 sec. That would be a pretty neat achievement game.

My buddy and I will be signing up anyway. There is a great list of games there!

I suggested Super Punch Out because there are ridiculous ways of beating a majority of the fighters in under 10 sec. That would be a pretty neat achievement game.

I love super punch out! I'll try and be there. Gonna see if Raph will cover my plane ticket.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone.

I am sorry that I have not posted in this thread for a while, but there will be a NHL 94 Genesis tournament at the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo this year!!! Please stay tuned for more information on rules and other specifics.

Thanks again for everyone's support!!!!

Edited by banditra101801