NHL'94 Forums

Random Drafts and Fairness

aqualizard

Ok, I hate to be a whiner, but here goes.

These random drafts in Classic and GDL are not fair. Even moreso if (in the case of Classic) there are 16 teams (like "B"), which means teams like Hartford will be facing Chi and Det!

I have been in 2 GDLs, and now my 2nd Classic. Because of randomness, I am getting crappy teams and facing guys much better than me, who have guys like Roenick and Yzerman. In GDL I drafted 23rd, finished dead last, and then drafted 22nd. In Classic I drafted 7th or 8th, finished last or near last, and am now drafting 15th (2nd from last)?

In the future, here is how I think it should be done:

Anyone with less than 10 wins drafts in reverse order of finishing. More than 9 wins means you are in the random pool with everyone else. But at least this way the dudes really hemorrhaging -- like me, and others that have now disappeared! -- would have a shot?

Hate writing this whiny message, but the current system just doesn't seem like good sportsmanship. :(

Edited by aqualizard

GDL i think is weighted then randomized (in Brutus's awesome draft lottery videos), which I think is alright in terms of giving everyone a shot at occasionally getting a super star (without trading).

Does classic weigh things at all, or is it totally random? I remember I picked 11th last time I played and finished... 11th. Or something like that. Ideally it would at least have some weighting. Like give everyone 50 balls and remove a ball for each win, and 2 for each DNP. (not actual balls, just statistical balls for calculating percentages)

GDL is not weighted for lesser skilled players. It is based on early participation. Over the course of time, all things will even out and guys will have plenty of chances to play with higher picks & lower picks.

The goal is to not coddle the lower end guys, but to reward those who help propel the league into 3 plus seasons per year with better draft odds.

Spoiler 2 shows how Raph used a complete online random order site to come up with the draft order, so classic has zero weight on anyting, including past participation, success or previous draft position.

use actual balls!

I intended to, but couldn't find an affordable (within my gaming budget) set the first time, and then liked the old ones enough to not replace them. Maybe next time I'll get some ping pong balls and have my daughter color them up.

Ah ok

Rewarding playing early is a great idea, too. Carrot instead of the stick haha.

Personally, I think attempting to even the skill level is desirable as well because it makes things more interesting. The standings don't really change, they just tighten up, and newer players have better morale / more likely to stick around and stick out a tough season. (more applicable to Classic, since in theory the snake draft levels out the teams). But it's a philosophical difference that I understand people are split on.

Aqua = Awesome bud,

BUT, Life ain't fair.

Running leagues around here is tough.

KingRaph and Chaos are 2 of the best (they run classic) and Brutus is on the way to joining that group.

I made my Original 6 League and rom to try and address these factors and it failed horribly as no one seems interested in small leagues of liked skilled players. Everyone wants to draft and or play in giant leagues with giant skill differentials.

You have been a great bud in my leagues and improved a ton, but in this case. Don't whine, be thankful for KingRaph and Chaos.

If you can find 6 guys who will play their games, I will be happy to restart my Original 6 Leagues.

wow. it's a sad statement about the commitment of this community when an organized and helpful and devoted and committed dude like Mac can't manage to hold the interest of SIX (6) participants. were there technical issues or did it just flop out because people who signed up lost interest when things didn't go their way(s)? maybe it could become an "elite six," where people with proven records of not bailing on leagues are approved based solely on their league play histories. rough.

I've done weighted draft order for Classic a bunch of times, in various forms, probably the last 4-5 actually, but for Spring, I kept it random. I could have given Texas, JV and Sicarius picks 14-16, I get your point, but from the beginning I wanted to keep this Spring classic simple (A&B, no B-1,B-2, C, D, etc) and limited to 16 teams as even 14-16 teams are competitive. The rest came down to Random.org, lol.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts, guys. And even though I am offering some criticism, do not think I don't appreciate all that Raph and Brutus do. They both go well beyond the call of duty, and I appreciate that. Really. :)

What I am saying is like Smozoma:

Personally, I think attempting to even the skill level is desirable as well because it makes things more interesting. The standings don't really change, they just tighten up, and newer players have better morale / more likely to stick around and stick out a tough season... But it's a philosophical difference that I understand people are split on.

I am sticking around. But others might not, and possibly have not. I think it benefits the community to nurture the weak and the newbs. And I think strong measures should be put in place to ensure that. But I get that to what extent this happens, if it happens at all, is a "philosophical difference". Not huge deal, just wanted to share my thoughts -- and (what I think is) a fair proposal -- on the matter. :)

Edited by aqualizard

Ok, thanks for your thoughts, guys. And even though I am offering some criticism, do not think I don't appreciate all that Raph and Brutus do. They both go well beyond the call of duty, and I appreciate that. Really. :)

What I am saying is like Smozoma:

I am sticking around. But others might not, and possibly have not. I think it benefits the community to nurture the weak and the newbs. And I think strong measures should be put in place to ensure that. But I get that to what extent this happens, if it happens at all, is a "philosophical difference". Not huge deal, just wanted to share my thoughts -- and (what I think is) a fair proposal -- on the matter. :)

Your on your 2nd GDL season and 2nd classic season your no longer a newb, with such a small community your a well known Vet, it sucks getting stuck with a tough pick, but decent teams slip, and/or playing with a s**t team helps your game, don't worry stick around your day will come getting a top pick in either clasic, or GDL.

I've been thinking about this.

I like the random draft and the simplicity of 1 A and 1 B.

I also think the numbers are right though I may have gone 12 in A and 16 in B.

We also have some guys notorious for signing up and not finishing.

I would always factor that in to who plays and who waits.

BUT,

I would also like to make this more competitive and interesting for teams with lower picks.

Here is my thought for B divisions and schedule and playoffs.

Wales Conference

Patrick Division

Picks #1-4

Adams Division

Picks #5-8

Campbell Conference

Norris Division

Picks #9-12

Smythe Division

Picks #13-16

Schedule

Play everyone twice = 30 games.

Play everyone in your division three more times = 39 games

Then play one team in your division one more time = 40 games (1v2, 3v4, 5v6,7v8, 9v10, 11v12, 13v14, 15v16)

Make the Playoffs purely Divisional and then Conference

8 teams in you just go 1/2 in each division

12 teams in you go 2/3 and winner gets 1

16 teams in you go 1/4 and 2/3

12 teams would be my choice.

and then the guy with pick 16 can set a realistic goal of winning division and making final 4 or maybe pulling the upset in Conf Finals and or Finals.

This way you are playing and competing the most against people who have a similar skilled team.

I also will say that I do agree it is the guy with the controller in his hand more than it is the guys the ice.

AngryJay proves that every time he comes to my house.

Edited by CoachMac

Not as steep as 1 v 16

and not as steep in B

Look at the Current Classic Champs #12 LA and #9 WPG

Overall I like the format.

I just think my scheduling and divisions would be nice.

Still play everyone but more against similar teams.

Edited by CoachMac