NHL'94 Forums

Annatar is building a Dynasty

Congratulations to Annatar, SNES Dynasty Season 3 Champ!

He put up another dominant regular season and won two hard fought playoff series, first against Tim Pagano (6 games), then me in the finals (7 games).

This was the third year in a row that Annatar and I have gone to 7 games in the finals. I won the first one in OT, but he's taken the last two. I gave it everything I've got, but Annatar is virtually unstoppable with Lindros, Hull and Leclair up front and Stevens/MacInnis on defence - perhaps the best combo of size and skill of any roster.

I don't think people realize what a string of wins Annatar has put together. He has won back-to-back Dynasty leagues, the most recent Classic and Draft Leagues, and I'm probably forgetting others.

Congrats man!

congratulations. interesting team -- not one I'd have picked, but it looks to be a functional one. keep racking up those wins.

congratulations. interesting team -- not one I'd have picked, but it looks to be a functional one. keep racking up those wins.

This season used the ratings from NHL 95 translated over to NHL 94. So I believe Lindros is more beastly (and faster) than he is in NHL 94, Leclair is improved and Hull is slightly improved.

Similarly, I had Modano who has better shot accuracy than he does in NHL 94, so he is more dangerous.

those 1995 ratings are a lot like my first few seasonal ROMs, where guys with good basic statistics (+/-, mostly, for mine) were nearly maxed out. 1995 had LOTS of 100-rated dudes. 1995 is a fun game that I would totally enjoy if 1994 didn't already exist. I played 1996, 1997 and 1998, too... not too much 1997, really. those games eased back a little on the 100s. annatar, do you know the overall ratings for your starters?

Edited by tru

it means something, but yeah, I dig. I now use a formula inclusive of RELATIVE plus/minus, quality of competition and zone progress to calculate overall ratings. it is a much better system. in 1995, Zubov was 100, right? do you know what they were using for those ratings?

Hey BobK, thanks again for the shout out and for the great season. We have been neck and neck this whole league and I'm just glad I've won 2 of the 3. Still pumped about this one.

tru I can give you some more data when I'm home but the ratings don't match the '95 ROM. I know what you mean about all the 100 overalls. Our league uses stats converted from Genesis iirc.

oh, did the Genesis '95 have different ratings? the SNES and Genesis '94 ratings were essentially the same. no worries about dropping stats on me, I'm only a little bit curious.

Tru - I feel like everyone is trying to be nice to you but dude you have nothing to do with this league and people are really getting tired of you hijacking threads. We get that you are socially awkward and mean no harm but you never know when to just shut the hell up. Please try to keep in mind the topic before you decide to ramble about trivial bullshit, or is that asking too much? Just make a new thread or send somebody a PM FFS..

Annatar - Congrats on kicking ass and taking names bud!

Bo, when a conversation develops, let it be. reread the thread and decide if you really think I needed to be reminded of all of that. your post was totally uncalled for and hijacks the thread more than mine did. sure, now I'm participating, but damn, you could have just left well enough alone. let the original poster or the subject (annatar) make that call. he seems to be engaged in the conversation with me, so how is it your place to decide he shouldn't be? this is exactly the stuff that needs to stop. I have the right to talk to these guys even if you "feel" like they are extending courtesies undeserved. heck, they are SNES guys, so maybe jump all over me the next time I post in one of your precious, secretive, cliquey Genesis league threads, but... aargh.

congratulations, again, annatar. I'm not too, too far away, down in Maine, so if you are ever swinging near the town they bottle all of that water in, here, consider dropping by for a game or eighteen. I'll tuck tail now and go away. holler.

The final was cool. As I suspected the player who scored first won every game. Although in game 5 it felt like last goal wins and I ended up losing 8-7. That was when it felt like it was slipping away, so I'm most happy about tightening up and only allowing 3 goals over the next 2 games. Good games again Bob - shall we do this again in '96?

XCing1030 - Thanks! You had a great battle with BlackDevil in the first round and you sure didn't make it easy for me in the second round, you have my vote for MIP this year and I think Kudelski agrees. You're gonna make some waves in classic, book it.

BoKnows - Thanks bud, I thought I might run into you in the playoffs, looks like you and c4 were going toe to toe. Keep on smashing people with Mog.

tru - I don't mind the thread hijack bud, no harm no foul. I don't know the average overall ratings for my starters but I loaded it up and I got:

Stevens 83

MacInnis 77

(Leetch 82)

Lindros 85

Hull 81

Renberg 76

(Janney 81)

Leclair is only a 60-something but he will blossom. My goalies are both trash but hey had to save money somewhere. Hull and Lindros actually seem to play a lot like they do in '94 to me. Lindros will get better next year!

Bo, when a conversation develops, let it be. reread the thread and decide if you really think I needed to be reminded of all of that. your post was totally uncalled for and hijacks the thread more than mine did. sure, now I'm participating, but damn, you could have just left well enough alone. let the original poster or the subject (annatar) make that call. he seems to be engaged in the conversation with me, so how is it your place to decide he shouldn't be? this is exactly the stuff that needs to stop. I have the right to talk to these guys even if you "feel" like they are extending courtesies undeserved. heck, they are SNES guys, so maybe jump all over me the next time I post in one of your precious, secretive, cliquey Genesis league threads, but... aargh.

congratulations, again, annatar. I'm not too, too far away, down in Maine, so if you are ever swinging near the town they bottle all of that water in, here, consider dropping by for a game or eighteen. I'll tuck tail now and go away. holler.

Do a search function, you can find the spreadsheet with the ratings used for the league. Yes, you did take the thread off-topic. Start a new thread if you want to ask questions, or read other threads about the league. The thread was to congratulate annatar (which you did).

BTW, congrats Annatar!!

oh, wow. so you felt the need to post about it, too! you only congratulated him as an aside. it takes posts like yours to properly hijack a thread. without those, you just freaking move on.

I'm sorry, annatar. I really didn't mean to carry their agenda here.

so, I assume you are in the camp of "don't worry about your goalie, other positions are much more important." is that correct? personally, I love having a top-end goalie, but I'm not sure if I'd prioritize it over defensemen, or not. I suspect I'd do two forwards, the starting goalie, both decent defensemen and then the third forward, which I would send to the right wing most of the time. there's pretty much no need to have a backup goalie, with their inability to get hurt. do you think you would have had such success if you went with a better goalie over a decent forward or defenseman?

Stevens 83
MacInnis 77
(Leetch 82)
Lindros 85
Hull 81
Renberg 76
(Janney 81)
Leclair is only a 60-something but he will blossom. My goalies are both trash but hey had to save money somewhere. Hull and Lindros actually seem to play a lot like they do in '94 to me. Lindros will get better next year!

I forgot you were using Renberg rather than Leclair. I was so focussed on Lindros and Hull I didn't notice who the other guy was. Leclair gets really good soon though.

I have Yashin coming next year though! He's beefing up from 196 to 212 lbs and he's got something to prove.

My goalies are Irbe and McLean, not exactly trash but mid-60s rating. I used to love Irbe as a kid though!

I don't know if it's just something I don't understand well enough but I've never seen enough benefit in having an elite goalie. So I think if I had prioritized that over locking down a top dman or winger it wouldn't have helped me - at least the way I play the game. Agreed no reason to spend on a backup goalie. I did swap out Irbe in the 8-7 loss because I wanted to try to mix things up. Didn't work. :rolleyes:

Bob, yeah, Leclair is another late bloomer for our league, and I did use him in most of the regular season. He is better than his numbers suggest but has a bad case of boot-puck-itis in about every third game or so... not good.

Thanks hali and chows (I'm calling you that now haha). You guys are the real super buds here.

yeah, both of those goalies are fully serviceable. I was into MacLean for a while, but I kind of grew away form appreciating his skills... or lack thereof. do you think there is a particular aspect of the roster that you have assembled that allowed you to achieve any extra greatness? I love the concept of that league....