NHL'94 Forums

Scoring with 0:00 left in a period?

I've been playing NHL '94 for YEARS but I can't remember a time when I've scored with no time left on the clock. Of course, much of that time was back when I was playing on the console and couldn't save record of it even if it did happen, but I've certainly never seen it happen when emulating...until today!

I thought immediately once the clock hit 0:00 that the period was over and the imaginary force field that prevents goals would go up instantly, but apparently that's not the case? Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

post-925-0-40741800-1462198955_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-83623300-1462198962_thumb.jpg

it happens in all of the versions, I believe. I've had plenty of experience with it happening on the SNES. I've had "too much" experience with it happening on the Genesis to believe that it is all that rare. think of it this way: there is no tenth-of-a-second display functionality, so there are no FULL seconds left, but....

for the SNES, I think there is one frame of time where it can be zeroes and not yet the end of the game. for the Genesis, I suspect it is a slightly larger window. I think the Genesis version more frequently (than SNES) leads to quirkiness. can some of you Genesis guys confirm weird stuff, on the console, at least?

for SNES -- both console and emulator -- these types of goals very occasionally lead to weird registry errors or bizarre quirks. it was so long ago that I can't say for sure it was with no time left, but it was such a similar reaction to that scenario that I suspect it was: I scored a hattrick with Kevin Lowe -- number 4 on the Rangers -- and some of the hats came down as the number 4 (and maybe D's, but, again, it's been so long).

can anybody tell stories of weirdness like that on any system? I think it's more common to have 0:00 goals allowed and to have strange stuff happen in relation to it on the Genesis, but I'm no Genesis expert.

Edited by tru

Epic 0:00 goal:

Among my friends, we've observed that it takes 8 seconds to score a goal off a (edit:)centre-ice faceoff rush.

I forget the exact scenario, but we'll pretend it's this: My one bud, not very good at the game, is down 1 goal against me (probably ASW vs OTT). 7 seconds left, (edit:) centre-ice faceoff because I just took the lead. My other bud (Dennis/Dervin from Blitz 01 and Toronto tourney) says, Gimme the controller.. I'll tie this up.

He gets the controller. Bodycheck off the faceoff, gets the puck. Races up.. dekes one way.. dekes the other.. shoots... 0:00... goaaaaaallllll!!!

No one remembers the overtime, it didn't matter.

So I guess the moral of the story is that it takes 7.9 seconds to score a goal off a faceoff rush.

depending on where you shoot from.

slam dunking it? eight or nine seconds.

straight deke and shoot? six or seven seconds.

faceoff onetimer? four or five seconds.

under six seconds is rare, even if the faceoff is in the zone, but I don't think you can do better than four seconds from the center ice spot.

Epic 0:00 goal:

Among my friends, we've observed that it takes 8 seconds to score a goal off a (edit:)centre-ice faceoff rush.

I forget the exact scenario, but we'll pretend it's this: My one bud, not very good at the game, is down 1 goal against me (probably ASW vs OTT). 7 seconds left, (edit:) centre-ice faceoff because I just took the lead. My other bud (Dennis/Dervin from Blitz 01 and Toronto tourney) says, Gimme the controller.. I'll tie this up.

He gets the controller. Bodycheck off the faceoff, gets the puck. Races up.. dekes one way.. dekes the other.. shoots... 0:00... goaaaaaallllll!!!

No one remembers the overtime, it didn't matter.

So I guess the moral of the story is that it takes 7.9 seconds to score a goal off a faceoff rush.

No it takes 7. I know because once I was down 3 to Houlanov with :21 to go and I won in OT

It was from centre ice....

right. that was clear. I just mean that, from there, it depends on where you shoot.

have you had any instances of the game crashing or glitching or acting weird after you score with zeroes showing?

Edited by tru

You can score with a pass shot in 3 seconds from center. I've done it once against the computer and I know a few guys have done it in league.

Moral of the story, don't ever let your guard down.

You can score with a pass shot in 3 seconds from center. I've done it once against the computer and I know a few guys have done it in league.

Moral of the story, don't ever let your guard down.

YEah. Shoulda mentionned fastest non pass goal is 7 flat. Tho if you're really lucky and you get it to a winger and your center rushes up ice I think its possible in 6 seconds.

Yeah I've noticed it's kinda common to get 6 second goals passing it to yzerman on the wing when going for the goals world record against the cpu

and Yzerman isn't even a 6 speeder

Yeah I've noticed it's kinda common to get 6 second goals passing it to yzerman on the wing when going for the goals world record against the cpu

and Yzerman isn't even a 6 speeder

Well agility matters more in this scenario. If he's hot he's basically max agi

The fastest I ever scored, from center ice, was 4 seconds on SNES. I won the faceoff, my defender got it and my center rush straight up the ice. I passed it to my center and got checked from behind on a fast-break. I scored on the penalty shot.

I guess that counts. I had forgotten about the pass shot through the five hole. I'm not sure how I forgot, as that has always been a huge pet peeve of mine... maybe it's because I don't have a Genesis anymore. good stuff, guys. this is a fun thread.

Well agility matters more in this scenario. If he's hot he's basically max agi

Ya. Only Gretzky is more agile when it comes to forwards. Yzerman does have 6 agility, so he can achieve max agility depending on how hot he is.