NHL'94 Forums

[Sept 24 2016 - Green Bay, WI] - King of '94 Wisconsin

Ola Fellas,

There's a Sega Genesis tournament being organized in Green Bay this coming September.

It will have a different organizer and different format that the last few that have been done. The organizer's name is Troy and he's put some some tecmo super bowl tournaments previously. We connected because he wanted to discuss putting on a'94 tournament.

It takes place September 24th.

Here's a link you can follow for more information.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/events/108113982936703?acontext=%7B%22ref%22%3A98%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D&aref=98

Hopefully some buds from here can represent!

Greetings NHL fans, and thanks to the mothership KO94/halifax for getting the word out. We want this to be a destination tournament in the states, and will lean on this community to help us build it into such. More details will emerge as time progresses, but we wanted to get this date etched on everyone's calendars. We have years of experience running large tournaments going back to our LAN party roots, with our most recent tournament involvement being the Tecmo Milwaukee : Wayne's World tournament last month. We have a realistic goal of 32 players, and for this particular venue, we will be setting a cap of 64 players. As we grow and gain experience with this community, we will certainly look at expanding upon that. With a 32 player field, we will estimate a $500 payout. 100% of proceeds will go towards player payouts. Event costs, prepay discounts, official tournament rules and game formats are all being tweaked at this time.

Just Gens? Is there a SNES group?

I personally grew up with a SNES and a PC, not a Genesis, however when it came to gaming at friend's houses, the Genesis was almost always the preferred system for sporting games during the SNES/Genesis wars. As a result, there are so many available, and the price of the hardware and game copies is reflective of that. My guess is that this was a similar trend throughout the USA based on sales, and hardware availability.

SNES systems easily go for $60 or more in this market. A Genesis can be had for $30 - $35, making a full setup about $50 with a game and 2nd controller. We've had little issue securing equipment on this platform, whereas on SNES we haven't located a single copy of it locally, and it's slim pickings for controllers and systems.

When you factor in our desire to have approx 10 setups for this event, we are looking at an investment of around $500, vs $1,000 or more on the SNES. We simply can't afford properly sustaining a SNES event on our own, and we haven't located a single individual that has it in our area for SNES.

Hopefully that answers your questions on the why. This is all coming from a SNES fanboy BTW :)

Working on getting a car load of guys to head to GB. Should be a grand ol time.

Just better glue in those 94 carts into the sega or you may see a 95 in them at some point ;)

Working on getting a car load of guys to head to GB. Should be a grand ol time.

Just better glue in those 94 carts into the sega or you may see a 95 in them at some point ;)

I would be pleased to host other versions of the game if the demand is high enough. Of course once the brackets start winding down, systems will open up. :) Thanks for your support, and please spread the word throughout social media.

It's great to see the excitement brewing. We can't make it work without dedicated players willing to make the voyage out, so for that, we thank you. Please continue spreading the word!

In the meantime, enjoy some casual games from last night, recorded using our custom NHL 94 recording/streaming template!

https://youtu.be/ijEEBtW3opo

Edited by King of 94' WI

I wanted to take a moment and give the Retro World Series crew, specifically Hal a big shout out. Not only is he featuring NHL '94 as one of the tournaments in August, he is helping us fill the gap with our equipment needs.

We expect continued involvement not only with King of 94, but also with the Retro World Series. Make sure to check out their event page, especially if you live anywhere near the Southern parts of the USA.

https://www.facebook.com/events/565632533599532/

• 3 weeks later...

anybody from the site Goin to green bay looking to split a room to make this feasible I can get a flight for 15 $ round trip ...also wanted to watch packers on the sunday

Edited by kgman

side note the green bay ticket would require me to stay there 6 nights maybe I should fly to Chicago instead that would be free flight I could put 15$ on gas or weed! need to know by July 14 that king of 94 vouchr expires after that lol

Edited by kgman

We would love to have you kgman! We are hoping for mainly an external draw for this event, and since it's our first with this game, it's critical to get as many people as possible to ensure a healthy player pool, and of course proper reputation.

To all: If you haven't already done so, please rsvp on the indicated facebook site and event page your intentions as soon as they are determined.

• 2 weeks later...

Halifax, if you could pin this post instead, I'd like to migrate the thread with some reservations in place for media, updates, and signups. http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17615-september-24-2016-official-signup-and-rules-thread-for-blades-of-94/