NHL'94 Forums

Random Ideas for Stopping Slackers

aqualizard

I don't like that both players are punished for a game unplayed, what if you only punished the player with less games played at season's end?

Or the guys in another league keep track of attendance, and at every checkpoint unplayed games are awarded to the player with better attendance.

The way I handled this in Blitz was you got DNPs in the proportion of "your number of unplayed games" to "sum of both of our unplayed games", with each game worth the same total amount of DNP points.

So if you missed 2 games and your opponent missed 10, and DNPs were worth 2 total points each...

2/(10+2) = 0.167.. = 16.7% (you get 16.7% of the DNP)

.167 x 2 = 0.333

So in that case you would get 0.333 DNP points for each unplayed game between you

Your opponent would get 1.667 DNP points for each unplayed game between you

10/(10+2) x 2 = 1.667

I don't like that both players are punished for a game unplayed, what if you only punished the player with less games played at season's end?

Or the guys in another league keep track of attendance, and at every checkpoint unplayed games are awarded to the player with better attendance.

I think both players should get punished, but at the discretion of the Commish.

It is a good incentive to REALLY try to schedule games knowing you may get dragged down by a drowning man. That said, if someone played all their games except for 2 against the same guy, who was himself missing tons of games, yeah, I could see a Commish saying these DNPs only count against the Slacker.

But using formulas or having a bunch of rules regarding DNPs will only add unnecessary complications. In my opinion. :)

I think on any given season, the point of DNP's penalties, etc is to encourage guys getting their games in, but there is no set rule that can create this.

Playoffs are generally to see who the best of the best of is, not who slacks the least.

But, noone wants to see some a-hole make the post-season without trying to play all his games because he knows he's already won enough games. So, you NEED to have DNP's.

For GDL this season, I will be using my dictatorial powers to decide WHO gets DNP's after the season ends. If you don't want to leave it to chance, try to get your games in. I'm not guaranteeing anyone no DNP's.

No one is guaranteed an invite back either, but I do TRY to make it as much FUN as I can to help ensure we get enough coaches that DO want IN.

Percentages of DNP's etc, I don't really see the value in it all. If you couldn't reach the top 4 slackers, maybe it's because you didn't have to be on the 2 weeks they showed up. Now you have 8 plus DNP's if this was your scenario, and get full percentage of DNP's, etc based on the old Blitz rules. I prefer to just make my own judgement KNOWing that in the end, it's better if it's my call.

Blitz had too many rules for my liking and it's why I stopped being the commish, because of all the rules telling me how to run it. Since then, it's gone defunct. So, I'd venture to state it's better to not have so many rules, but I'm obviously biased :)

I think both players should get punished, but at the discretion of the Commish.

It is a good incentive to REALLY try to schedule games knowing you may get dragged down by a drowning man. That said, if someone played all their games except for 2 against the same guy, who was himself missing tons of games, yeah, I could see a Commish saying these DNPs only count against the Slacker.

But using formulas or having a bunch of rules regarding DNPs will only add unnecessary complications. In my opinion. :)

I have no trouble with complications, even 'commishes discretion' carries some uncertainty. Basically, it boils down to half the league putting in ALL of the effort to chase down games - and I think those guys should be rewarded instead of punished along with the slackers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea that just occurred to me.. had to write it down before I forget.

I'm thinking about Classic here - or more specifically about the NHL94online site.

1. Make a league night, vote on it - or declare it so.. Tuesday nights are NHL94 League nights. People that work or have other activities can now plan their winter weeks with an evening left open for some NHL94.

2. On league night, you will hopefully maximize your games played - simply because there will be more people around to play their games.

3. The site would keep track of league-night attendance, both by league games entered - but also by uploading an exi. (Assuming this functionality would be possible). Making league night a great time to simply play.

4. This would give the commishes another bullet by which to identify slackers, if they aren't getting games played AND aren't in attendance on league night - then they should be the ones actively hunting games down. No more of the active guys having to hunt down games with slackers.

5. DNPs could now be calculated based on complete league activity, and award guys for making themselves available - and punish guys who simply can or don't make the effort.

Disclaimer - I haven't had time to thoroughly think this through.. just point form obviously.