2016 Spring Classic Playoffs

chaos

Playoff Page - 2016 Spring Playoffs

Deadlines

Round 1 - Friday, June 10th

Round 2 - Friday, June 17th

Round 3 - Friday, June 24th

Championships - Friday, July 1st

Deadlines will be enforced. FF wins will be awarded at commissioners discretion.

Please make sure you have the 99 min. OT Playoff ROM. If you have downloaded the Gens or SNES Package from nhl94online.com's front page, you should be set. If not, they can be downloaded separately from the website.

Schedule your games with your opponent!!! We will make exceptions only if you notify us ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good gentlemen, we have completed all of round 1 with the exception of LABS/Darko in GENS B. They are scheduled to play late tonight, they have been actively trying to set a schedule, which is why I let it go.

Round 2 deadline is this Friday, the 17th. I understand the weekend may be a better scheduling time, but let's just make sure we are active. GENS folks, keep me up to date via PM/IM. Btw, my series vs. Zalex is scheduled for Wednesday night.

Koke and I are scheduled for tonight.

I'm scheduled to go at Seth on Saturday evening.

I leave town next Thursday for a week. If I make either final id love to play zalex or an Annatar before then.

Annatar showed yet again he is the team to beat and an elite player. All the winning and experience I gained this season didn't mean much in our series. Once he figured me out it was all but over cause my team got checked around like a bunch of sissies. I need to start diversifying the way I score and move the puck better, as it always kills me come playoff time. Great players make game time adjustments, something I can't figure out for some reason.

Congrats again! Back to the drawing board for me

Thanks for the kind words and I know you'll be back next time with something to prove. With a better team in your hands I think you'll be a really tough out - in the end Winnipeg is just a little too small compared to St. Louis and that was the difference.

Congrats on a hard fought series bud! We'll have exis soon.

Koke/angryjay: I will be available Sunday onwards so should be able to get this done early next week. Good luck in your semi!

Thanks for the kind words and I know you'll be back next time with something to prove. With a better team in your hands I think you'll be a really tough out - in the end Winnipeg is just a little too small compared to St. Louis and that was the difference.

Congrats on a hard fought series bud! We'll have exis soon.

Koke/angryjay: I will be available Sunday onwards so should be able to get this done early next week. Good luck in your semi!

Im thinking either Sunday night or probably better, Tuesday night.

ggs Koke. got by Bob and played me tough for sure.

Congrats to AJ and Annatar on another finals appearance. Should be a good series. Annatar looking to continue his dominance and AJ looking for his first SNES Classic title in a long time.

Koke is a really solid player. I didn't know much about him going into his series but the way he used mogilny was Bok like. I didn't have an answer for it. If he used manual goalie, he could be a top, top player. Koke- keep it up bud! SNES will continue to thrive with players of your caliber.

I want to congratulate Seth on a great series and an absolute slug fest between a couple of premier heavyweights. Could have just as easily been him playing for the cup and it would have been more than justified after a hotly contested final between he and I last season.

Zalex I'm not sure if we can get this series in before I leave town on Thursday morning. Maybe Monday around 5 or 6 EST? Please let me know your availability, Im actually pretty flexible during day time hours early this week. Mon, Tue (because im playing annatar) & Wed later evenings are all bad for me unfortunately.

Two seasons in a row, AJ has made it to both the GENS A finals and SNES A finals. Pretty amazing stuff bud.

That looked like a great series.

Seth up 2 games to 0, and ties the game with 2 seconds left in game 3. You'd have to be be thinking IT'S OVER for Vancouver.

AJ shows his toughness, wins that game, still goes down 3 games to 1, and find a way to win 3 straight.

Yeah it was a high-octane series. I gave AJ his props last night. That game 3 was pivotal and we both knew it. It's always an uphill battle going up against Detroit. But when facing Vancouver against a coach who is comfortable with all that speed, it too is constant assault to defend against. He definitely had to earn it and luck didn't play into the series at all from my perspective. I didn't see penalties or bounces going all to one coach or the other. No major mistakes either, like goalie passes to the opposing team leading to goals. I had one game where I felt I played bad, game 6. He won a string of faceoffs early in that one and got off to a big lead while I was pretty flat.

Congrats to Zalex too, for that monumental sweep of Raph. I think those results shocked everyone. Should be an exciting final. Can't wait to watch it. Wish we could view it live.

Edited by Uncle Seth

SNES is in the books boys and I want to congratulate annatar on a repeat performance this season. The guy put on a master class during the season with the Blues and beat everything in his path during the playoffs. His ability to squeeze out tough games is second to none on the snes side as his 2 OT wins in our series will attest to.

It hurts to lose but Annatar is a class act who plays the game the right way. I tip my cap to the SNES champion, well played sir.

Awesome series buds. Congrats to Annatar! Crazy to see the road team win every game that series.

Thanks buds!

I love playing with you guys. Congrats to everyone who came out on a great season.

AJ - dude was on a mission. Sometime between my win in game 1 and the start of game 3, he found another five or six gears. Didn't make any mistakes. I haven't lost as badly as I did in game 3 in a long time, and game 4 wasn't much better. Lebron James style domination, without the fairytale ending.

I told him after I wished we'd been recording the games. Now that I think of it, I'm glad we weren't, so nobody can find out how to beat me. :lol:

Seriously, amazing series and you played great. I know it's a tough pill to swallow. Game 7 OT loss - been there done that. This time I came out on top.

If it's boxing, AJ wins by unanimous decision. OK, maybe a split decision. :)

But it's not boxing, so the Cup is coming home to Missouri!

Edited by annatar

How come the players who can win GENS classic can never perform as well in draft leagues? Flasox, Depch and with what is happening with Zalex has brought this thought to my mind.

I just don't understand how players like Freydey were never able to win classic but win five draft league while players like Flasox and Depch have classic titles but zero draft titles. Not disrespecting the players I mentioned, but something definitely is up with the Classic system. The game does not reward skill like it should. I lost a playoff series to Zalex after outplaying him in all seven games, scoring more goals and having more shots for the whole series while Raph got swept by him. How could the current GDL champion get swept by a player who has never been able to win a GDL and lost in round 1 of GDL XV? How could Freydey win Survivor 2x in a row, Blitz 2x in a row, GDL 2x and lose in classic finals 3x?

The last time the best player in the GENS community was the GENS-A champ was arguably Carse in 2012.. but even then it seemed pretty clear that Freydey was the better player... I dunno, I'm just sick of having the lower-level players kick the s**t out of the top guys in classic.

Edited by Premium

How come the players who can win GENS classic can never perform as well in draft leagues? Flasox, Depch and with what is happening with Zalex has brought this thought to my mind.

I just don't understand how players like Freydey were never able to win classic but win five draft league while players like Flasox and Depch have classic titles but zero draft titles. Not disrespecting the players I mentioned, but something definitely is up with the Classic system. The game does not reward skill like it should. I lost a playoff series to Zalex after outplaying him in all seven games, scoring more goals and having more shots for the whole series while Raph got swept by him. How could the current GDL champion get swept by a player who has never been able to win a GDL and lost in round 1 of GDL XV? How could Freydey win Survivor 2x in a row, Blitz 2x in a row, GDL 2x and lose in classic finals 3x?

The last time the best player in the GENS community was the GENS-A champ was arguably Carse in 2012.. but even then it seemed pretty clear that Freydey was the better player... I dunno, I'm just sick of having the lower-level players kick the s**t out of the top guys in classic.

Stop trying to justify the fact you suck monkey dick in classic

Stop trying to justify the fact you suck monkey dick in classic

Hey.. I have a classic title :P

Looks like going to the finals in 8 draft leagues in a row doesn't justify me wanting to be able to win against guys who never come close to winning against me.

How come the players who can win GENS classic can never perform as well in draft leagues?...

Not disrespecting the players I mentioned, but something definitely is up with the Classic system. The game does not reward skill like it should. I lost a playoff series to Zalex after outplaying him in all seven games, scoring more goals and having more shots for the whole series while Raph got swept by him...I dunno, I'm just sick of having the lower-level players kick the s**t out of the top guys in classic.

This rings hollow. You could use the same "logic" to argue that the Classic results indicate who is most skilled, and wonder why the "lower level players kick the sh*t our of the top guys in GDL". In other words, the exact opposite of what you are claiming.

Observing that top Classic Players and top GDL Players rarely overlap is interesting (if it is true). Inferring from this that the guys that do well at Classic are actually crap ("lower-level") is ridiculous.

Finally, this thread started out with Chaos and Raph keeping things moving, then had post after post of people posting results of the playoffs and congratulating their opponents. Was a kind of "feel good" thread. Then you come along and piss in everyone's cornflakes. What the...?

Edited by aqualizard

I think the combo of home/away advantage for each team not being set to neutral can create more swings in momentum that some coaches adapt better to.

We've all played games in '94 where the CPU has pretty much predetermined you are going to struggle. I think in Classic with the larger momentum swings, you see more of these moments.

Also, when playing draft leagues, we rarely get to play our opponents team that often (2-4 games in season plus a few exi's). In Classic, I've played vs my opponents team 1,000 plus times. The only wrinkle is perhaps that team with that coach.

But to me, I disagree with Plabax that it's the lesser Coach. It's a different strategy & one AJ has certainly excelled at. Watching KG live at it was similarly impressive.

I think at least in the more recent era, the guys winning Classic have played as good or better during those championships as guys in the draft leagues.

Some guys make bad GM's maybe but the leap in logic to say the classic rom enables the weaker to win is a LARGE leap, jumping past many common sense barriers, not that it ever stopped Plabax from doing that before.

Also, great series between cbk & Tex in Gens B. GAME 7 OT winner!!

Chicago vs Detroit. Doesn't get any bigger than that.

JV & I are playing Sunday. Hopefully Tex & ba55i5t get their series in so we can get Gens B to a Final Series.

Yeah, I don't totally agree with this argument as we have similar results in classic vs draft leagues. You'd have to go case by case, but there is not a strong pattern here. BUT home/away advantages are definitely more impactful in classic vs. draft leagues due to those settings, and teams are not as balanced as draft leagues, so you can see more upsets.

Lot's of great 7 game series leading to the finals in all leagues! Great stuff, it's what makes playoffs the best!