NHL'94 Forums

VHL3 Announcement

skip

Hey guys, great season once again, thanks to all for playing VHL2! This was a tough season with GDL running concurrently, but it's been really competitive again.

UPDATE: VHL3 will be open with the next draft sometime during the SUMMER.

**Changes for VHL3**

We will move back to a ~44 game season, regardless of # of A guys in a division. 50 is too much.

Draft will not be a snaking draft any longer. Instead, we will go to a true NHL style draft where we start from #1 pick again in Round 2, etc. This should allow for better competitive balance, while also rewarding players who play all of their games.

We will move to quarterly deadlines, and there will be harsher penalties for missing deadlines. If you miss the first 2 deadlines, you will likely be removed without a chance to catch up in quarter 3. We'll discuss more as a group together, but playoff point docking/draft position drop are options, and I will consider a concrete method to handling this, penalty wise.

I am floating this one, possibly for a league vote: Playoff seeding will be separated from playoff qualification. We will move towards a more classic-style playoff system where win % does determine your seeding. For example, my Bruins (3rd seed) had to play Labs (6th). Labs had a higher win % than J&J (5th). So who should have been 5th? This is my question.

And finally, Lupz....come back! :-)

-Skip

Edited by skip

Draft will not be a snaking draft any longer. Instead, we will go to a true NHL style draft where we start from #1 pick again in Round 2, etc. This should allow for better competitive balance, while also rewarding players who play all of their games.

Cool, I'm interested to see how that works out.

I am floating this one, possibly for a league vote: Playoff seeding will be separated from playoff qualification. We will move towards a more classic-style playoff system where win % does determine your seeding. For example, my Bruins (3rd seed) had to play Labs (6th). Labs had a higher win % than J&J (5th). So who should have been 5th? This is my question.

Blitz worked this way (at least when I ran it). Otherwise, when you punish the slacker for slacking by giving him a tougher matchup, you punish his opponent, too.

Sounds good, Skip.

Good to hear you tweaking things and trying new approaches. VHL is fun, but maybe these tweaks (especially quarterly checkpoints) will make it even better!

Looking forward to it!

I'm going to try to run GDL on a renewing schedule, so barring a lack of will by the masses to keep renewing, fill the 24 coach count, etc, I'm assuming running every 3 1/2 to 4 months.

IF we get tighter on the drafting/lottery/renewals, etc during the playoffs, maybe could do every 3 months.

Going to "weigh" supply/demand end of next week. The goal being guys who KNOW their schedule will "suck" for a few months just DROP ahead of time knowing they will be able to get back in again without having to wait a full year type thing because the rotation continues on new seasons.

Will stay in contact if this effects when you start VHL.

Lupz will be back, Skip we gotta do something about the 3 trades. I propose 3 trade max during draft, and 3 max post draft, or something like that.

And I'm gonna really get the shafts here wth the new draft format I see, last pick every round ugh.

ok, so no summer break for GDL?

Doesn't look like it. Above Brutus says he will keep rotating GDL every 3-4 months (if the participation is there) and in this thread http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17490-gdl-xv-season-season-ends-wednesday-june-8th/he says:

Next draft lottery to run after Round 1 playoff series, AROUND 4th of July!!!

And I think this is awseome! Having to wait until Fall for my NHL94 league fix would suck, plus this time around I really know what I am doing as far as drafting is concerned, finally! (Note: I think that every time!. Bottom line, I can't wait for the draft to start!)

Ive been in favor of every round being drawn for. add the finish early, season standings weights you want, then draw the order for R1. Then R2. Then R3. etc. Adds a bit of change to each round, factoring in a little luck, but still weighted based on the parameters you would use anyways.

Hey guys, I'll be sitting vhl3 out and handing the NYR reins back to Lupz. Maybe I'll jump back in for vhl4 but I gotta free up some time. Amazing season though, skip. Well done as always

OK, we will begin VHL3 Draft in a few weeks then. Look for an announcement soon on the chat and on here

So like GDL you are going to keep cycling without a break? (I thought waiting for the Fall like Classic sounded like a good idea?)

Or.... If GDL draft starts July 4, and the season kicks in a week or so after that, and then there is a big flurry of activity for the first month which dies off, that lull is the ideal time to start VHL. Like the 2nd week in August?

yeah I was thinking like early August for draft and then start league in September, I think we'll do that still.

We'll miss ya Jack!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I figure now that GDL draft is over we have a better idea of when we can get the draft going for optimal dead-time coverage.

The VHL 3 Draft will begin on Saturday, August 20th at 10am Eastern Time. We'll have a "soft start" prior, but we've normally got the entire draft finished in ~6 days.

I'll post more about the ROM, which I was working on heavily up until a few weeks ago. I figure I'll do some edits as the summer goes on, and we can start drafting off of what I have at that time.

I'll also post the GM's so far, and let you all know the order as well. Order is based on last year's standings (with DNPs).

Let me know if you have questions, or if you want to join.

-Skip

Solid group of guys in this league make it fun.

I don't like blitz roms as much & not a fan of all the jacked up goalies & high defensive awareness in this ROM but it's still a ton of work by skip & much appreciated effort.

However, as in before, if you need me to fill out the league, I'm good for that. You can also put me last for drafting. I don't mind the challenge & half the guys I like go late anyhow.

If a hungry new guy wants in, give him my slot & I can always be relied upon as a sub, otherwise I look forward to another season.

I'll also post the GM's so far, and let you all know the order as well. Order is based on last year's standings (with DNPs).

Can you elaborate on how DNPs affect Draft Order?

Do they count as wins, which would give the offender a higher finish, therefore a worse draft pick?

(Surely they can't count towards a worse finish, which would entitle them to a higher draft pick?)

Edited by aqualizard

• 3 weeks later...