NHL'94 Forums

Maximizing Efficiency for Scheduling Games - FB Messenger

Premium

I recently noticed that the most effective forms of communication via Internet have something that never has to be signed out. All group chats today are done through Text Messaging or FB Messenger. This is because guys are ALWAYS connected or signed in to their Text Messaging/FB Messenger. AIM is a good way to message people, but it's not efficient for group chats. AIM is an application that makes more sense for exis. You sign in when you feel like chatting or playing a couple of games then sign out when you are done. Something like a league requires people to be connected as much as possible in order for it to run at an optimal level of smoothness. It's very easy to go a whole day without signing into AIM but it's nearly impossible to go even 8 hours without seeing a text or Facebook message.

If we could come up with a way to get a group chat STRICTLY for scheduling games using an application that you never have to sign out of and is always running provided there is an internet connection I think there would be a decent increase in games played. We could leave the general chatter to AIM or a second group chat and have the main group chat for those looking to play games. This way the players who don't like the spam can mute all the unnecessary chat and just look for games.

I have seen some guys suggest WhatsApp, but I think using FB Messenger is the best way to go:

• Free
  • No Phone Required (unlike WhatsApp)
  • Can be registered and connected with phone number (No Facebook Account Required)
  • Can be registered without a phone number but with a Facebook Account (for those who don't want to give out their phone numbers)
  • Has an app available to all countries
  • Has a browser version

Thoughts?

I like the idea of a group chat dedicated to STRICTLY scheduling games & not being tied to AIM is probably a positive, since guys mentally dont check in wanting to avoid all the chatter at times.

I will note that by Pm'ing a guy or emailing him, 99% of guys in the community receive this message same way as a text message. Email notices go to our phones, maybe not as "instant" as a text, but we do see them within a short time period.

The only reason this never catches on is guys ignore it. In a group setting, there is proof you are calling out/asking for games & sadly, at times, it seems you almost need this proof to shame some people into responding.

Plus, there does exist more pressure to respond to a text than an email.

I'd be willing to try something else for GDL XVI or something in addition to what we have.

I suggest people just link their mobile to their AIM account like me, VC, Bok, EA, Evan, etc. have done. You can text that way, and since we already have AIM, there's nothing much else to do but link your phone.

That would be a good solution but like Brutus said, some guys deliberately avoid AIM because they want to avoid the extra chatter sometimes so it would probably be beneficial to use something other than AIM!! Also us Canadians can't access AIM on mobile.

That would be a good solution but like Brutus said, some guys deliberately avoid AIM because they want to avoid the extra chatter sometimes so it would probably be beneficial to use something other than AIM!! Also us Canadians can't access AIM on mobile.

I am Canadian and I have AIM on my phone. I will post how to do it in a suitable thread when I remember how I did it. (Atomic Raven clued me in.)

That said, I do not think non-American's can link mobile #s like Raph suggested.

read the third bullet dummy :grimace:

I'm not giving Facebook my phone number.

I mean, how could you be a grown man with kids on AIM with a name of "Lupz27" but be so against using Facebook? How cool do you think you are? lol!! What kind of grown man uses AIM and bashes Facebook... Grow up and get a fake account f**k. I'm sorry you're too good for Facebook.

Edited by Premium

I post a few videos a year plus my cell phone regularly and offer to hang out/meet up with anyone in town, and find I'm one of the few non-private guys on the site.

I think because guys see who I am and trust me not to be some psychotic flamer pounding their cell phone if we had words is why I probably have most guys cell phones on this site.

However, at least 1/4th of the site is VERY VERY reluctant to reach out from behind the internet's curtain. Can't say they are wrong. But, the more I look at this, the more I realize that trying to go OUTSIDE of AIM, just is NOT going to happen.

Last GDL, we had almost 100%. This season, compared to many of the past, would still be a success.

Aside from me replacing BOK w/ Sebe, who then apparently didn't understand that if your wife is about to POP out a baby, you shouldn't be trying to be a SUB that needs to play 20 plus games (I laugh just thinking about this), we have a very HIGH success rate.

So, I wished BOK had played JUST a few more games and I honestly feel we'd have everyone at 46 games plus by the end of the season.

In all reality, Classic fall is always great. Classic spring always sucks. GDL is running strong. Aside from some fun conversations, it's not really a "problem".

I mean, how could you be a grown man with kids on AIM with a name of "Lupz27" but be so against using Facebook? How cool do you think you are? lol!! What kind of grown man uses AIM and bashes Facebook... Grow up and get a fake account f**k. I'm sorry you're too good for Facebook.

Yeah great idea to give your cellphone number to a company known for selling the #'s to telemarketers you f**king walnut

Yeah great idea to give your cellphone number to a company known for selling the #'s to telemarketers you f**king walnut

Because you missed the part where I said you don't need a phone number!!! lol. Millions of people on Facebook don't have a phone.

FB and Messenger are DIFFERENT. Facebook is to AOL as Messenger is to AIM. Using AIM requires an AOL account but I'm sure most of you guys never use AOL.

I thought a fake account wouldn't be a bad idea since people were willing to go on AIM of all things with fake identities anyway. Why not just make an account for messenger named Flaming Pavel Bure?

Edited by Premium

I am against the idea of social media so clowns like premium Plabax can go stalking everyone, and find out all their personal info. I tell people I want to know about my personal s**t including a bunch of people on this site, but Facebook to me is the f**king devil.

I am against the idea of social media so clowns like premium Plabax can go stalking everyone, and find out all their personal info. I tell people I want to know about my personal s**t including a bunch of people on this site, but Facebook to me is the f**king devil.

You are misunderstood. I'm not proposing we use the actual Facebook.. I'm proposing we use Facebook Messenger. You wouldn't be using Facebook, you would just have a fake FB account similar to how you have some random s**t for AOL. You don't need any personal information to use it..

You can always restrict access to your profile so only 'friends' can see it, and you make a special groups for certain people you want to have reduced access etc etc

It's actually the Facebook company itself you should be worried about ("if you're not paying, then you're the product" as the saying goes)

However, at least 1/4th of the site is VERY VERY reluctant to reach out from behind the internet's curtain. Can't say they are wrong. But, the more I look at this, the more I realize that trying to go OUTSIDE of AIM, just is NOT going to happen.

This.

I think Plabax has a good idea here. And I am on Facebook and couldn't care less if they have my phone number, so I would be ready to implement Plabax's idea.

BUT.

It is obvious there are too many people who do not want to have anything to do with Facebook or probably any other method for this to work. People don't want to install *another* app.

We need to:

1. Stick with AIM, or

2. Find a better replacement that does everything we want it to

And, it is way easier to just stick with AIM. It is crap, but it is good enough. Just like the Slacker issue, ultimately the problem is the users, not the system or software.

And, it is way easier to just stick with AIM. It is crap, but it is good enough. Just like the Slacker issue, ultimately the problem is the users, not the system or software.

It's a mix of both. I haven't seen Zalex in 4 whole days. Unless he died or is hospitalized in some way, I believe he would have seen my attempts to contact him with a separate app from AIM. He has his AIM set so he can't recieve offline messages and he doesn't even check the forums. If we forced him to be connected at all times then I don't think he would be able to ghost.