NHL'94 Forums

Best Coaches that Don't CB or Pass Shoot?

However, I do think all top coaches could play without the CB or pass shot at a very high level. CB/Pass Shot aren't essential tools to being a great player.

This.

Yeah people are emphatic about that. CB and Pass shots don't make someone elite. The best players have a solid foundation without the tricks.

But, I am surprised that (it seems) everyone that is an elite A level is proficient in CB, and most (except KG) are also proficient at Pass Shooting. I was fully expecting, when I started the thread, that KG did not CB at all, and that there would be a few other names to add to the list.

But, I am surprised that (it seems) everyone that is an elite A level is proficient in CB, and most (except KG) are also proficient at Pass Shooting. I was fully expecting, when I started the thread, that KG did not CB at all, and that there would be a few other names to add to the list.

Could be because there are plenty of ways to score, but the best way to defend is to steal the puck back, which generally means knocking the guy over, and the CB check just gives you a way to use a heavy player to knock down a light player from a greater distance than a B check.

Other defence techniques, all I can really think of are: have great goalie control, or be good at forcing guys to make bad / low percentage shots that the AI can stop. i.e., have the goalie steal the puck back.

Other defence techniques, all I can really think of are: have great goalie control, or be good at forcing guys to make bad / low percentage shots that the AI can stop. i.e., have the goalie steal the puck back.

Don't underestimate getting in the way of somebody and causing traffic. Many times the puck will get knocked loose. It's pretty damn effective. Makes sure you don't lose position. Big risk is if the puck doesn't get knocked away, you look like an ass just standing there while your opponent barrels through for an easy deke goal.

Don't underestimate getting in the way of somebody and causing traffic. Many times the puck will get knocked loose. It's pretty damn effective. Makes sure you don't lose position. Big risk is if the puck doesn't get knocked away, you look like an ass just standing there while your opponent barrels through for an easy deke goal.

An effective way to knock a puck loose is to try and aim your stick-blade to the puck. You can just move without pressing any buttons to try and line up the stick with the puck.

Another defensive technique is to keep your stick in the passing/shooting lanes. If you have good vision for the lanes you can intercept many passes, block pass shots and block low shots.

Yep I kind of lumped that in with forcing a bad shot. Definitely a technique I employ.

An effective way to knock a puck loose is to try and aim your stick-blade to the puck. You can just move without pressing any buttons to try and line up the stick with the puck.

Another defensive technique is to keep your stick in the passing/shooting lanes. If you have good vision for the lanes you can intercept many passes, block pass shots and block low shots.

I use the B-pokecheck a lot in 2on2. It feels great when you steal the puck with an actual stick-to-stick pokecheck.

I've never consciously done the passing lanes, I'll have to try to think of it from now on. I use it in table hockey (always try to leave a player in a place and orientation where he can block passes)

this is one of the least talked about parts of 94 that is absolutely great.

in the offensive zone im pretty sure saucer passes dont happen, so if your blade is in the right spot youll always intercept it (without having to press any buttons). Other nhl games often allow you to force passes through defenders. Its just another thing that was better in 94 somehow

Edited by TomKabs93