NHL'94 Forums

Gordie Howe - "Mr. Hockey"

halifax

My Granddad's favourite player

His last goal in the NHL:

That backhand sounds like a gunshot.

Howe was ambidextrous and used a flat stick, and could actually switch his handedness depending on the situation. There wasn't much of a difference between his forehand and backhand shot.

Lefty Howe, Righty Howe! :

Trhg3mR.jpg

Also, freakishly ripped

howephysique.png

http://www.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2016/06/10/howephysique.png

His shots definitely weren't that hard. Guys like Crosby can definitely backhand it way harder than Howe could ever dream of.

The goalies back then were real bad. Go back and watch any highlights from even the late 90s and it's painfully obvious how much worse the play is.

Edited by Premium

It's not necessary to point that out in his remembrance thread.

Everyone knows the goalies sucked, but you don't score 801 goals and lead the league in goals 5 times by being just ok

Give Howe modern equipment and training and he'd have been even better, of course

Watch that clip, zero-windup backhand by a 50-year-old man. Tipped or not, bad goalie or not, that was no flutterball. I didn't say he was Bobby Hull, I said his backhand was about as good as his forehand. Crosby's backhand is noted as being uncommonly good even today.