NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2016 Deadline 1.1 by Naples39

naples39

BOOM!

thanks for doing this bud.

http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2016/06/19/nhl94-2016-update/

"when I’m not writing about Philadelphia Flyers hockey on the internet, sometimes I like to nerd it up playing old school video games. I am of the age when NHL 94 for Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were king, and to be honest, I’ve still never had as much fun with the new releases as I did playing with my friends way back then.

For any like-minded folks out there, NHL94 still lives on through the fan site NHL94.com. I am one of multiple game editors there, and I finished up a rom “hack” of the Sega Genesis game. This hacks and others like it update just about everything about the game: the teams, the logos, the uniforms, the lineups, the graphics…etc. There are even on-going online leagues for the faithful.

It’s pretty amazing stuff in my opinion."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, man. I've been sort of "in and out" of the community over the years, downloading some stuff here and there to get my old-school fix, but never really participated in any discussions. Mainly because I'm mostly clueless when it comes to editing things. First off, I want to say AWESOME job with this updated project. It's absolutely amazing everything you've done with a 20+ year old game. Second, I'm a huge Pens fan and was trying to update the uniforms to reflect the real world, where as of this year's playoff run, the home jerseys are now again the throwback style (and the away ones will match next season). I changed them in NOSE, but realized right away that this also changed the colors of the logo at center ice, which made the whole thing look terrible. I guess I'm asking 1. is there a way to change jersey colors (for a modding noob) without changing the center ice logo? Or really 2. Is there a quick way you can change the Pens' home uniforms to the beautiful (then-away) ones you have on your '92 deadline mod? I know you said you were done with updates until the World Cup and then 17, but I was hoping that since they did wear those throughout the playoffs, maybe an expert like you could make one quick fix. Anyway, I downloaded all of your past "deadline" mods last night and was literally up until almost 3 am playing around with them. Awesome, awesome work, man. Not gonna lie...I selfishy wish there was a deadline ROM for every year in history! Amazing stuff. Thanks for any help.

I like your version better than the other one because I felt the other one played too fast and arcade-like and I was scoring way too much. As with the above poster, I am also a Pens fan, and now they have gone back to their older 1980s/early 1990s uniforms for both home and away, and would like a way to be able to change it in the game to reflect this.

Cool. Just wanted to mention if you didn't hear already, that the Pens are going back to their 1980s/early 90s uniforms. They are making the black/yellow ones permanent home jerseys (only used for a dozen regular season games and playoffs this past season), and was announced just a couple weeks ago that they are going back to their white/yellow road jerseys of old (substituting the yellow for the cream color they used the past decade). Just wanted to throw that out there :)

I like your version better than the other one because I felt the other one played too fast and arcade-like and I was scoring way too much. As with the above poster, I am also a Pens fan, and now they have gone back to their older 1980s/early 1990s uniforms for both home and away, and would like a way to be able to change it in the game to reflect this.

So what I'm hearing is: you want to make sure the both of these modders know that the Penguins have new jerseys. ;)

So what I'm hearing is: you want to make sure the both of these modders know that the Penguins have new jerseys. ;)

Haha sorry! I got the modders mixed up and my first post was supposed to be for the modder in this thread (naples39). I realized this later, and posted in the correct thread.

I'm already doing some work on a NHL17 opening day ROM and already changed the Pens jersey colors for that version along with all the other updates. I like those retro colors much better too! I could send you guys a custom ROM if you guys really can't wait ~3 months for the new ROM, although it would technically be inaccurate for 16 so the ugly colors stay in the 'official' ROM.

Changing uniform design is pretty simple, but the uniform uses the same palette as the center ice logo. Thus when you change the jersey colors you have to re-import that center ice logo to match the revised palette. It's a 3 minute task.

I'm glad you like it. I chose to stick with the original player rating scale--only all-star forwards get above mid-70s rating, and damn few get above low-80s. 'Solid' players will usually be between 68-71.

I'm already doing some work on a NHL17 opening day ROM and already changed the Pens jersey colors for that version along with all the other updates. I like those retro colors much better too! I could send you guys a custom ROM if you guys really can't wait ~3 months for the new ROM, although it would technically be inaccurate for 16 so the ugly colors stay in the 'official' ROM.

Changing uniform design is pretty simple, but the uniform uses the same palette as the center ice logo. Thus when you change the jersey colors you have to re-import that center ice logo to match the revised palette. It's a 3 minute task.

Awesome! Would love to check out the custom ROM you mentioned if it's no trouble. Also, I'm kinda new modding and such, but downloaded NOSE and used that to edit previous ROMs a bit. I was just wondering if it's difficult to edit each team's organ music? The Pens default one seems to be the St. Louis Blues song and I just wanted to change that back to the original one from the original NHL '94 game, as that one is the one still in use. I downloaded a hex editor, so will try to figure that out.

Awesome! Would love to check out the custom ROM you mentioned if it's no trouble. Also, I'm kinda new modding and such, but downloaded NOSE and used that to edit previous ROMs a bit. I was just wondering if it's difficult to edit each team's organ music? The Pens default one seems to be the St. Louis Blues song and I just wanted to change that back to the original one from the original NHL '94 game, as that one is the one still in use. I downloaded a hex editor, so will try to figure that out.

Editing the music is a whole different beast, and none of the NHL editors do it. The organ music is wrong for teams because I never even tried to change it! About the only thing I left alone.

Naples, your roms are excellent.

Naples and/or Brad,

Here is how to fix the music.

All you need is a Hex Editor and follow this post.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/11307-how-to-change-and-view-nhl-94-sound-effects-and-music/

I fixed it in all my Historic roms and to me is a must fix.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17378-all-decade-roms/

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17523-classic-and-wbf-plus-94-world-cup-roms/

PM me if you have more questions.

Here are the pointers for the songs.

2c824 = Team 1, 9, 16

2c70c = Team 2

2c718 = Team 3

2c71c = Team 4

2c728 = Team 5

2c770 = Team 6

2c734 = Team 7

2c740 = Team 8

2c748 = Team 10

2c754 = Team 11

2c784 = Team 12

2c788 = Team 13

2c764 = Team 14

2c798 = Team 15

2c7a0 = Team 17

2c7ac = Team 18

2c7bc = Team 19

2c7c4 = Team 20

2c7e4 = Team 21

That is where my notes stop.

But you can follow post #8 in this thread from there.

As you can see some teams share a song and you just have to deal with it.

Whoever is in in the #1, 9, and 16 slot will have the same song.

I think a couple others after that do also.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

First off, great job naples! Downloaded and played your custom ROM, love the new & updated graphic hacks!

I was then going to update the rosters with the current free agent signings & trades with Nose but all I get is that it doesn't read the .bin file (i tested other custom ROMS right after and it booted them up to customize. Curious if I was missing something or it's a glitch on my part, and if anyone else had issues trying this?

UPDATE: I deleted and reinstalled Nose and it works now. Had an older version (the 1.0 instead of the 1.2b). All's well that ends well, cheers!

Edited by Fiddz

For you Pens fans, here's a custom ROM that's my NHL 16 deadline ROM, but with the retro jerseys the Pens will be wearing next season (both white and black are in retro style/color).

Thanks naples39! Btw, I saw that you're a Flyers fan if I'm not mistaken. Well my first hockey jersey I bought was a Flyers one when I was 10 years old at a local store here in Pit. I wanted a jersey so bad, and the store only had Flyers and Canucks left (this was in days before the internet), so I bought the Flyers one. :)

For you Pens fans, here's a custom ROM that's my NHL 16 deadline ROM, but with the retro jerseys the Pens will be wearing next season (both white and black are in retro style/color).

You, sir, are the man! Thanks a lot! Just curious here...why'd you choose to "redesign" the Pens' jerseys here, versus what you used in your throwback ROMs? Admittedly, their jersey is impossible to perfectly recreate in NHL 94. Just my two cents here, (other Pens fans add your opinions?) but I liked your previous versions with the gold shoulders, rather than these ones with them absent. Of course the real ones don't have gold on the shoulders, but in my opinion, in the throwback ROMs, it looks better that way, because there is a ton of gold on the new/throwback jerseys, just on the sleeves and the body, not the shoulders. You did this in the original 16 ROM with the Pens, making the shoulders black/white, despite it being down the sides on the real ones. Regardless, you are the absolute master of these projects, and thank you for working so hard on them! Just throwing my opinion out there, since I suck at editing on my own!

You, sir, are the man! Thanks a lot! Just curious here...why'd you choose to "redesign" the Pens' jerseys here, versus what you used in your throwback ROMs? Admittedly, their jersey is impossible to perfectly recreate in NHL 94. Just my two cents here, (other Pens fans add your opinions?) but I liked your previous versions with the gold shoulders, rather than these ones with them absent. Of course the real ones don't have gold on the shoulders, but in my opinion, in the throwback ROMs, it looks better that way, because there is a ton of gold on the new/throwback jerseys, just on the sleeves and the body, not the shoulders. You did this in the original 16 ROM with the Pens, making the shoulders black/white, despite it being down the sides on the real ones. Regardless, you are the absolute master of these projects, and thank you for working so hard on them! Just throwing my opinion out there, since I suck at editing on my own!

Yeah, at some point designing the jerseys with the all the limitations in 94 is more a matter of feel than accuracy. Like one version could be closer to actual arm stripes or whatever, but when on the ice it doesn't 'feel' like there's enough yellow in it, or whatever. I'll keep fiddling on the way NHL 17 release.

Yeah, at some point designing the jerseys with the all the limitations in 94 is more a matter of feel than accuracy. Like one version could be closer to actual arm stripes or whatever, but when on the ice it doesn't 'feel' like there's enough yellow in it, or whatever. I'll keep fiddling on the way NHL 17 release.

I think the Pens jerseys you have in your '89 and '92 Deadline ROMs were spot on. Same with the banner. I tried copying the hex code for those jerseys into the latest Deadline one, but the center ice logo was a bit discolored. Oh well. As far editing them for the '17 release, you can just lift everything from one of those 2 ROMs and good to go. I don't think it needs edited any more. Just wanted to mention also, the Washington Capitals logo with "Capitals" spelled out in center ice is the better one and the one most recently used.

Okay guys, new ROM. I'll call it 1.2

-Pens uniforms - Black/home is retro style from my 89 ROM, white/away is modern style with pale gold

-Pens logo - still modern style with pale gold in menus (officially changes in 17!)

-WSH center ice logo - used the capitals text logo from my 89 rom

Thanks for the comments. I know the Caps text logo is what they use now on center ice, but I tried and failed to use it before. Didn't even think to check my old ROMs if I had acceptable version in there.

nhl2016-deadline1.2.zip

-Pens uniforms - Black/home is retro style from my 89 ROM, white/away is modern style with pale gold

-Pens logo - still modern style with pale gold in menus (officially changes in 17!)

Thanks for the comments. I know the Caps text logo is what they use now on center ice, but I tried and failed to use it before. Didn't even think to check my old ROMs if I had acceptable version in there.

Looks good! Didn't expect a final update, so this was a surprise to see. Many thanks! I think the 89/92 ROM Pens aways jerseys are very accurate, so when the time comes for the '17 version, just need to use the code for those.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much, man! I kind of forgot that I had left this comment out there, as I haven't been on here in awhile. I've still been playing through the retro ROMs, but I'm definitely playing through the playoffs with this one! Thanks for listening, as I suck too bad at editing (outside of basic NOSE edits) to help myself. Can't wait for the WC and 17 ROMs. You're killing it, project after project.

Thanks so much, man! I kind of forgot that I had left this comment out there, as I haven't been on here in awhile. I've still been playing through the retro ROMs, but I'm definitely playing through the playoffs with this one! Thanks for listening, as I suck too bad at editing (outside of basic NOSE edits) to help myself. Can't wait for the WC and 17 ROMs. You're killing it, project after project.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad some people are enjoying it, and it's this weird hobby I've kind of adopted.

WC rom is ready to go once we get some more info on uniforms numbers, maybe line info. And I'm still not 100% clear on pants/helmet color for Czech and Russia.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad some people are enjoying it, and it's this weird hobby I've kind of adopted.

WC rom is ready to go once we get some more info on uniforms numbers, maybe line info. And I'm still not 100% clear on pants/helmet color for Czech and Russia.

Awesome. I'm fired up for it. Keep up the great work! I wish you taught a class on NHL 94 editing. I'd probably pay tuition. haha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How's everyone been. Sorry I have not been on in awhile. I was wondering is the NHL 2016 season rom for the upcoming 2016-2017 season or is someone making a new 2017 rom. I was just curious thanks.

I'll release an NHL 2017 rom (for 16-17 season) a week or 2 after the season starts. The graphics and stuff are already done, but I'm waiting for teams to finalize their rosters, have some semblance of lines....

Edited by naples39

Thank you Naples that's awesome. Your roms are really good. I wanted to edit ether 93 or 94 and make An AHL one and a Movie teams one but I am horrible with trying to learn how to edit

The game. I had someone walk me thru it and it was still really bad. I give you guys that make these roms all the credit in the world.