NHL'94 Forums

[Sept 24 2016 - Green Bay, WI] Official signup and rules thread for Blades of 94

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ is in the finals after winning the semis 2-0...in some close games...12-1 and 13-1.

I am decompressing after the weekend so I'd have to check the sheets to be exact, but I think his +/- on goal differential was +68 in 7 games.

that is stellar!

So was the Poutine, I can't believe I didn't take a picture of it. They added thinly shaved sirloin to the equation. So amazing. Just an FYI I am trying to get some carved up segments of the tournament to get uploaded. I will work on breaking apart the individual games and put them into a youtube list. I can be found as Troy GBLAN or trojan1979 on Youtube. I will post links on this thread.

I am decompressing after the weekend so I'd have to check the sheets to be exact, but I think his +/- on goal differential was +68 in 7 games.

I guess no one will want him to come back next year? ;)

side note: I thought there was an 8 game round robin plus playoffs. the tourney got trimmed down a bit?

Sounds similar to when he comes to my house/tournaments except he does it with San Jose, Tampa, and Ottawa.

Did he play any TSB?

Yes he did, and I took him to the woodshed, and he took it like a champ. I'll get some footage uploaded for you.

I'm there to challenge AJ next year for that awesome manly cup! Congrats AJ, and to Troy on a successful inaugural tournament.

Thanks for the proper exposure, and I've already got you two signed up ;) We just have to work on the date. Look for an announcement next spring!

To anyone who watched the event via the stream, or attended in person, if you could please take a few moments and reflect on your experience by writing a Facebook page review for us, we would greatly appreciate it. Please make sure to make it from your perspective, viewer, or participant.

https://www.facebook.com/gbnhl94/

Thanks for the proper exposure, and I've already got you two signed up ;) We just have to work on the date. Look for an announcement next spring!

I am very interested, too. Especially if, once again, the Packers have a home game the next day.

Cost was prohibitive for me this time around, but next year I should be in better shape. (Just got a credit card that gave me 25,000 Air MiIles as a bonus, so I have a "free" return flight anywhere in U.S. or Canada, supposedly.)

Final note: What you have done looks inspiring! Especially that Manley Cup. Hats off to your effort. I do believe in a "Field of Dreams" approach: if you build it, and put real effort in -- like you obviously have -- they will come! And I will, too! I salute you, Troy! Nice work! :)

Can you post the players who won prizes, and the amounts? I'll update the tournament earnings page

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/416-nhl-94

I need their: name (first name + last initial is ok, maybe check with them to see if they want their full name on the site), nickname (optional), finishing position, prize money.

Final note: What you have done looks inspiring! Especially that Manley Cup. Hats off to your effort. I do believe in a "Field of Dreams" approach: if you build it, and put real effort in -- like you obviously have -- they will come! And I will, too! I salute you, Troy! Nice work! :)

This! I suspect maybe you're disappointed with the 15 player turnout, but I believe the effort will pay off and next year will be big. Being able to point people to a website that shows pictures and videos from a previous tourney I think really takes the questions/uncertainty out of people's minds and they'll sign up.

I guess no one will want him to come back next year? ;)

side note: I thought there was an 8 game round robin plus playoffs. the tourney got trimmed down a bit?

We had 22 signups, with 15 actually participating. We trimmed down one game so that each side played each other once. Group 2 had an automatic forfeit win when the kitchen manager was forced to work after an employee no showed. The kitchen manager was going to be playing, as he's a big fan of us, and the game. We ran it by the group and no one took issue. Everyone played 8 games or more total when the bracket was figured in, and the timing of everything couldn't have worked out better than it did.

I am very interested, too. Especially if, once again, the Packers have a home game the next day.

Cost was prohibitive for me this time around, but next year I should be in better shape. (Just got a credit card that gave me 25,000 Air MiIles as a bonus, so I have a "free" return flight anywhere in U.S. or Canada, supposedly.)

Thank you! We do this for the gamers. I'm proud to be welcomed into such a supportive retro community, and I didn't want to let down the good faith. Now the ground work is laid, the foundation has been poured. Now it's time to build to the top! If you handle things like AJ93 did, the flight into MKE seems to be the most reasonable approach, followed by a rental to GB.

Can you post the players who won prizes, and the amounts? I'll update the tournament earnings page

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/416-nhl-94

I need their: name (first name + last initial is ok, maybe check with them to see if they want their full name on the site), nickname (optional), finishing position, prize money.

This! I suspect maybe you're disappointed with the 15 player turnout, but I believe the effort will pay off and next year will be big. Being able to point people to a website that shows pictures and videos from a previous tourney I think really takes the questions/uncertainty out of people's minds and they'll sign up.

I have to double check the sheets, but I think Angryjay93(Stockton, CA) took home $153, and 1st place, Tim Ubick(Menasha, WI) took home $63, and Kevin Cabarello(Columbus, OH) took home $40. We ended up rounding to the nearest dollar. I gave Kevin $2 extra because I didn't feel like breaking my $10's. Over 100% of net entrance fees were payed out in prize money. Prize money collected per person varied based on prepay or not, console contribution or not, and there were a number of services that comped entry fees(photography, trophy, etc) Kevin Cabarello also won the Sega CD version of NHL 94.

Yes we were disappointed that so many folks insisted after multiple follow ups that they were in fact coming, in their words, "100%". When approx 1/3 of the field drops out day of the event, it certainly took us by surprise. We expected possibly 2-3 flake outs, but nothing like this from folks we have interacted with for weeks or months in advance.

To potentially counteract this problem I've put some restrictions on the participation of the local free get together practices I put on. We've had folks that only show up to those, and won't show up to a pay to play tournament. They can start freeloading somewhere else, or start showing up at local events.

What I can tell you is that the 15 that were there seemed to be having an amazing time. We also had some walk ins that we invited to play with us during the after party phase that will likely join us next year.

We have plans to grow the father son combo. We offered a $40 package for a father and a junior(under 18) to participate. We would like to have a separate bracket for the juniors after the normal bracket concludes, with their own unique prize on the line.

The setup party and after party were very memorable, as much as was the tournament. The stream went over 13 hours straight yesterday, and gaming occupied most of that time. I haven't had that much fun since the last time I played in a retro game tournament.

I am awaiting the photos and video from Nick Wautier, who was an amazing help, and is on the Ideas By Elliot Podcast here in Green Bay. I will get links us as soon as possible.

I am trying to figure out how to get the FB page to allow user reviews, so stay tuned for that. I will ask that if you watched the stream, or participated in the event, that you leave some feedback on our facebook page, facebook.com/gbnhl94, and please give us a like there if you haven't yet.

Here are a few casual video links

https://www.youtube.com/user/tfrisque1979

I've begun uploading videos from our stream exports. The last 3 are from some of the casual action. I want to use the locally recorded footage for the actual tournament due to some of the frame skipping in play. Please be patient as we try to go through and edit this.

Just a quick little blurb for now.

Just want to thank trojan for hosting the event as well as myself at his house. That made the trip a bit more feasible logistically for me which I appreciate because he's a great host and he put on a great tournament that I wish more of us could have experienced.

Also, I did lose a game of 94 in Wisconsin. Tim beat me Friday night and played me tight in a couple others. He gave me the wake up call I seemed to be in need of to be ready for the tournament.

I have to double check the sheets, but I think Angryjay93(Stockton, CA) took home $153, and 1st place, Tim Ubick(Menasha, WI) took home $63, and Kevin Cabarello(Columbus, OH) took home $40. We ended up rounding to the nearest dollar. I gave Kevin $2 extra because I didn't feel like breaking my $10's. Over 100% of net entrance fees were payed out in prize money. Prize money collected per person varied based on prepay or not, console contribution or not, and there were a number of services that comped entry fees(photography, trophy, etc) Kevin Cabarello also won the Sega CD version of NHL 94.

Thanks, it's updated:

WI tourney: http://www.esportsearnings.com/tournaments/19785-king-of-94-wi-2016

All tournies: http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/416-nhl-94

Thanks for updating bud. Sean Y. needs to be switched to CAN.

Just at note, I only used their last initials on the tourney earnings page, just in case they for whatever reason object to their name appearing. If they confirm they want their last name there, I can update it. :)

If the Canadian contingent was present, I would have busted this anthem out. Here's more of the after party game action. We get down with more than just hockey, because we can.

Edited by King of 94' WI

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...