NHL'94 Forums

GDL XVI Setup Notice + Possible Fix

Premium

I noticed a couple of potential flaws with the new GDL A/B setup.

Usually 16 teams make the playoffs. Would the new format have Top8 from A and Top8 from B qualify? If so, then that is a problem. The worst coach in A is supposed to be better than the best coach from B, so it makes no sense to not have the A coach qualify.

If 16 coaches do qualify, it would have to be the top 12 from A and the top 4 from B, which is more or less the same as the current format. If the finals is to feature the winner of A and the winner of B, then that would mean there would only be a 4-man playoff en route to the finals for a B player. That doesn't make any sense.

If the A/B thing is to happen, then the playoffs HAVE to be separate. There would need to be a GDL "A" champ and a GDL "B" champ, that's it, that's all. Having the "A" champ and the "B" champ play in the finals would mean that one of the finalists had an uneven path to the finals relative to the seeding. First round in the "A" playoffs would feature the 4th and 5th best teams playing each other as well as the 13th and 20th best teams playing each other while the 9th-12th best teams would fail to qualify.

Not only that, but it would be corny for the finals to be the top A player vs. the top B player. The A player probably wouldn't even want to play and it's just silly for the runner-up to always be a player who is supposed to be in the bottom-half of the league in terms of skill.

--------------------------------

Since you want the bottom 4 coaches in A to go down to B and vice versa, the ideal way to set this is up is to have everyone play an even schedule and have the top 16 qualify. The top4 coaches would be "A", the bottom 4 would be "B", and coaches 5-12 would qualify for the wild card.

Round 1 would feature all the wildcard coaches.. so 5v12, 6v11, 7v10 and 8v9. The winners of the wildcard round would qualify for the "A" playoffs as the bottom seeds and the losers would qualify for the "B" playoffs as the top seeds.

A vs B in finals is sooooo lame. I know your intentions were to be nice Brute. But this is a joke IMO. This is supposed to be a big boy league, best of the best. I appreciate everything you do, and this isn't a personal attack in any way. I just can't not voice my opinion here. It's Brutal Brutus, goes against everything that elite competition is about. Why wasn't this put up for a vote? The lower A guys that will miss playoffs are still better than he B guys that will make it.......This is supported by stats. Plus they have a drastically more difficult schedule, by playing each other the vast majority of games.

It doesn't make sense, other than for the purpose of mixing things up just for f*cks sake, and to give lower guys a chance. Sorry if I offend any B-guys, not my intent. But no one in their right mind can agree that IF you want the cream to rise to the top, this is not formula. It's extremely flawed. I like that you make a lot of fast decisions to get things moving and are authoritative. But you made a blunder here, you're only human. Heineken takes some of the blame here. But only you can fix it.

Behind every complaint is a suggestion, as some wise man once said. I think it should be reversed. Or you just have an A champion and B champion, something I've ALWAYS been a proponent of and consistently heard the reply from vets that "GDL is the big show, that's how it's always been". So no one can accuse me of being elitist here or anti-B guys.

Two A guys have always risen to the top and faced off in finals. Now only 1 gets that chance? Crazzzzzy, and look at that face of mine, I know goofiness.

A vs B in finals is sooooo lame. I know your intentions were to be nice Brute. But this is a joke IMO. This is supposed to be a big boy league, best of the best. I appreciate everything you do, and this isn't a personal attack in any way. I just can't not voice my opinion here. It's Brutal Brutus, goes against everything that elite competition is about. Why wasn't this put up for a vote? The lower A guys that will miss playoffs are still better than he B guys that will make it.......This is supported by stats. Plus they have a drastically more difficult schedule, by playing each other the vast majority of games.

It doesn't make sense, other than for the purpose of mixing things up just for f*cks sake, and to give lower guys a chance. Sorry if I offend any B-guys, not my intent. But no one in their right mind can agree that IF you want the cream to rise to the top, this is not formula. It's extremely flawed. I like that you make a lot of fast decisions to get things moving and are authoritative. But you made a blunder here, you're only human. Heineken takes some of the blame here. But only you can fix it.

Behind every complaint is a suggestion, as some wise man once said. I think it should be reversed. Or you just have an A champion and B champion, something I've ALWAYS been a proponent of and consistently heard the reply from vets that "GDL is the big show, that's how it's always been". So no one can accuse me of being elitist here or anti-B guys.

Two A guys have always risen to the top and faced off in finals. Now only 1 gets that chance? Crazzzzzy, and look at that face of mine, I know goofiness.

+++.

Not sure I'd actually play that final. We'd still all know who the champion is

+++.

Not sure I'd actually play that final. We'd still all know who the champion is

I would think if an A guy won it, there would be a giant asterisk next to the title. Because simply you didn't beat someone in the finals, who was one of the best.

Another idea, maybe make the fringe guys (low A and high B) play each other in a wildcard matchup to see who gets those final playoff spots.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I rarely comment on these posts, however...

I did like the changes suggested. GDL is brutal. Though I wouldnt want it to be separate leagues, I still want to play A guys and have them destroy me, as i need those games. But, I do know when I get to the GDL playoffs I have no chance of winning a series and probably even a game. It would be nice to have a little more to play for.

BUT, its unfair to the bottom four A guys. Well I made the playoffs with a 17-37-2 record one year, not because I should have, but because people didnt play their games. Typically these bottom four are hurt by poor participation, hard to feel bad for them.

BUT, this is the "big boy league, best of the best" and now its diluted BUT the A guys "have a drastically more difficult schedule". These are conflicting statements, is it to hard for A guys or too easy? If its the best of the best, why have 16 teams make the playoffs to begin with? You have pretty much straight chalk in round1 anyways, why play those games?

I think we all know the A conference champ is the champ ill apologize in advance if it is beneath you to even play the B conference champ, "Not sure I'd actually play that final." - Umm Thanks?

(And to unbias myself from these comments, I will switch from B to A with Brutus or another A guy who feel violated by possibly being in this unfair bottom 4)

I rarely comment on these posts, however...

I did like the changes suggested. GDL is brutal. Though I wouldnt want it to be separate leagues, I still want to play A guys and have them destroy me, as i need those games. But, I do know when I get to the GDL playoffs I have no chance of winning a series and probably even a game. It would be nice to have a little more to play for.

BUT, its unfair to the bottom four A guys. Well I made the playoffs with a 17-37-2 record one year, not because I should have, but because people didnt play their games. Typically these bottom four are hurt by poor participation, hard to feel bad for them.

BUT, this is the "big boy league, best of the best" and now its diluted BUT the A guys "have a drastically more difficult schedule". These are conflicting statements, is it to hard for A guys or too easy? If its the best of the best, why have 16 teams make the playoffs to begin with? You have pretty much straight chalk in round1 anyways, why play those games?

I think we all know the A conference champ is the champ ill apologize in advance if it is beneath you to even play the B conference champ, "Not sure I'd actually play that final." - Umm Thanks?

(And to unbias myself from these comments, I will switch from B to A with Brutus or another A guy who feel violated by possibly being in this unfair bottom 4)

What I meant by that is that I would not make the same length of effort. I would not go out of my way to not play it, but neither would I make the regular efforts and sometimes sacrifices to real life that are made to play reg. season or real playoffs, If the objective is to roll out 3 GDLs per year there should be little time in between real finals and draft. I don't really understand how you can simultaneously complain that your playoff trip is futile and you have no chance of winning and at the same time get all upset when we agree with you. I'm sure you bore no ill will but if we want to act rhetorically why should you get to be above all other A players and play for all the marbles without making the trek? Do you deserve it more than they do?

It's diluted because you basically take the obstacle of the first round out of the plan and you make regular season even more meaningless. Before you'd get the reward of a top seed by getting somebody that could not really defeat you in the 1st round (well in more recent GDL's at least). Now it literally won't matter because top 4 seeds won't miss the playoffs, maybe 1 will. It has happened 1 time a top 4 has fallen out of it without outright leaving in the last 7 seasons. It won't make it harder for the top guys (because they have the same amount of ''real'' rounds to play) it will only make it easier for the 3-4 seeds who now don't risk anything in the now inexistent 1st round.

Anyhow I'm sure I'll get told to go f**k myself and make my own things by tomorrow :P

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I want to voice my opposition. I'm sure many of the points have already been made, but here it is in my estimation.

- I love GDL because its open season, and it gives me the chance to play the ELITES and make my game better. I, personally, ENJOY being matched w an elite in the 1st rd of playoffs

- We already have that set up in classic, and if you notice, A vs. B championship is EXI ONLY. it does not determine the ultimate champ for classic, and I think theres a reason for that…. which is my next point.

-I think its pretty fair to say that the B champ would PALE in comparison to the runner up, 3rd, and 4th place team owners from A.

I want GDL to be an all in league. Its LITERALLY the only chance I have to seriously play elites in games that matter. If you take this away from me, you're taking away my only shot at playing top guys in important games. I firmly disagree with this.

GDL is THE BEST of THE BEST. Please keep it that way.

And to anyone who supports this…… if you think GDL is hard, thats because it is. Thats the REASON why its awesome. You want a crown? Step your game up then. Don't "Hillary" the rules to make winning easier.

Edited by JackVandal

I think Plabax offers a decent counter offer.

I can't really follow the clowns logic cause I'm not wearing my makeup, but I'll try to re-read those rants another time. Maybe I'll wait for my period then I can understand both Fpb's & the clowns all at once!

I am tired of pretending 16-18 coaches live to serve the top 4-6 like some fodder. There is a reason to try to make the season & playoffs fun without pretending your panties are too ruffled.

ill concede the A vs B finals after thought that was more meant to be silly & pretend not to insult your greatness again with it again.

Probably should make it all one league but have top 6 coaches just pick 19th through 24th moving forward , non-snake for those 6. Then you can marvel us with your handicapped greatness.

Probably should make it all one league but have top 6 coaches just pick 19th through 24th moving forward , non-snake for those 6. Then you can marvel us with your handicapped greatness.

which would completely negate all the efforts of those of us who got our games in on time the previous season, in which we earned better chances in the draft.

I think Plabax offers a decent counter offer.

I can't really follow the clowns logic cause I'm not wearing my makeup, but I'll try to re-read those rants another time. Maybe I'll wait for my period then I can understand both Fpb's & the clowns all at once!

I am tired of pretending 16-18 coaches live to serve the top 4-6 like some fodder. There is a reason to try to make the season & playoffs fun without pretending your panties are too ruffled.

ill concede your A vs B after thought that was more meant to be silly & pretend not to insult your greatness again with it again.

Probably shroud make it all one league but have top 6 coaches just pick 19th through 24th moving forward , non-snake for those 6. Then you can marvel us with your handicapped greatness.

Well I guess JV's an elitist douche like us.

I don't get why you have to act like we're spitting in your face when we're just voicing discontent. I'm sure we were on fairly convivial terms I'm not sure what made you turn heels here. None of us ever implied that our discontent in this matter made us unappreciative of your work.

I like Plabax's idea better as well.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

our panties aren't ruffled, it seems like you and Tex are the only ones with hurt feelings. If your goal is to make it more "fun" at the expense of true competition, then your setup is perfect for anyone who believes that fun trumps a pure talent/performance-based system.

GDL feels like "the pros" to me because its set up like pro sports. Sometimes the tampa bay bucs just suck all season. If they want the lombardi, they have to do the work. I think thats the most fair possible. AND didn't we have a rd 1 upset this time????? I know its decently predictable, but thats because its a real, true test of skill.

this isn't about elitism, it's about protest of a flawed formula. To assert I am an elitist in any sense, is flat out nonsense. Facts don't support it either, given how I play everyone on here, all the time, always have. And any noob or B guy can vouch for it. To brush off disregard mine and FPB's arguments is a bit toxic. We are being logical, not emotional.

So we have 2 A-coaches and 2 B-coaches completely against it. Seth, FPB, Lupz (earlier on aim) & Jack V. And Plabax, who despite some (aka many) of his trollish posts, is truly being logical here and is standing up for the league integrity.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I just know that if I won B playoffs, and somehow beat the A champ (unlikely, but hypothetically)

I wouldnt FEEL like i was the true champ
because my path to the cup would have been easier

I would think if an A guy won it, there would be a giant asterisk next to the title. Because simply you didn't beat someone in the finals, who was one of the best.

Another idea, maybe make the fringe guys (low A and high B) play each other in a wildcard matchup to see who gets those final playoff spots.

I think the fact you came out of A and the top 8 would kill this asterisk Seth. The A/B final would be a formality.

We've had 15 seasons of GDL to date with 24 teams. If people want changes there's plenty of room for more leagues.

I'm a fan of new ideas and concepts but not at the risk of compromising traditions of the best existing league left.

If you're actually considering doing that, please let us know soon. I would be pumped about the challenge. You know I love scrubs. But the league should be definitely be renamed. I like what FPB came up with, AADL (Affirmative Action Draft League).

Edited by Uncle Seth

1) so gdl has changed recently, scrambling the draft order and giving A players top picks now, when before they would always pick at the bottom of R1, why is that change not controversial? (I do think this has been a "fun" change by the way)

2) everyone still plays everyone, its not separate leagues, so you do still get the games vs "the best of the best", that doesnt go away. i definitely dont want separate leagues which seems to be have been a suggestion around here for years.

3) dont play the a/b final then if it is such an insult.

4) "It's diluted because you basically take the obstacle of the first round out of the plan and you make regular season even more meaningless. Before you'd get the reward of a top seed by getting somebody that could not really defeat you in the 1st round"

>>>I cant wrap my head around this logic. you need that game against someone "that could not really defeat you" to make the playoffs about the best-of-the-best more challenging?

5) people dont like change. dont ever touch or alter something sacred in the name of traditions (even though it already has).

6) im done with this, again my apologies for being grumpy, probably cause my mother is in town and staying with me these past few days and trying regulate everything i eat and do.

Edited by TexasPachyderm

I'll stop doing the butt hurt routine.

I'll post a poll to get league feedback on 3 options.

#1 get rid of my A/B idea

#2 use Plabax interesting playoff setup

#3 try the A/B but no A vs B finals

No need to vote here cause ill do a poll in an hour or so. 6 yr old climbing on me so I barely got this in.

I'll post a poll to get league feedback on 3 options.

#1 get rid of my A/B idea

#2 use Plabax interesting playoff setup

#3 try the A/B but no A vs B finals

Ok, first, I appreciate what Brutus does, and also appreciate his innovative efforts. He is not afraid to mix things up, and to me, that is a plus.

To be clear, option #1 is the same thing as "Do nothing. Keep things as they were last GDL," right? (I am pretty sure this is the case, but want to make 100% sure so I don't mis-vote. And yes, my vote will be to not change things, although my panties will not be in a knot either way.)

1) so gdl has changed recently, scrambling the draft order and giving A players top picks now, when before they would always pick at the bottom of R1, why is that change not controversial? (I do think this has been a "fun" change by the way)

2) everyone still plays everyone, its not separate leagues, so you do still get the games vs "the best of the best", that doesnt go away. i definitely dont want separate leagues which seems to be have been a suggestion around here for years.

3) dont play the a/b final then if it is such an insult.

4) "It's diluted because you basically take the obstacle of the first round out of the plan and you make regular season even more meaningless. Before you'd get the reward of a top seed by getting somebody that could not really defeat you in the 1st round"

>>>I cant wrap my head around this logic. you need that game against someone "that could not really defeat you" to make the playoffs about the best-of-the-best more challenging?

5) people dont like change. dont ever touch or alter something sacred in the name of traditions (even though it already has).

6) im done with this, again my apologies for being grumpy, probably cause my mother is in town and staying with me these past few days and trying regulate everything i eat and do.

Trying to shorten this

For 1 and 2 Seed ---> Nothing changes as they play 3 rounds instead of 4, with the 1 removed being 99% win

For 3 and 4 Seed ---> They get a free bye without facing the dangerous 5th or 6th seed

So it just makes it easier for the 3 and 4 seed overall without making it harder for anybody else