NHL'94 Forums

reverse engineering

for context (use your words, bud)...

1st link:

By the end of the first year of the Genesis’ life span, it had already been reverse engineered by two companies, Electronic Arts and Accolade, the former believing that Sega’s new console would be an ideal platform for its games, since the 16-bit 68000 processor contained within was the same as its programmers had used on several home computers. This meant that it would be a simple task for Electronic Arts to port its PC games, and original titles would face faster development time due to familiarity with the hardware. Company president Trip Hawkins was well aware of the security chip issues that had brought so much controversy to the NES, and he decided to wait and see if the lockout-free Mega Drive architecture would undergo any revisions when brought to the U.S. When the Genesis was released in 1989 virtually identical to its Japanese counterpart, Hawkins saw his opportunity to develop for it.

2nd link:

(about tools for converting a ROM to c++ code, which I don't think would be very useful unless you wanted to create a C++ version of the game (but you'd still need to figure out all the graphics etc))

3rd link:

(nice site for learning about assembly code, would be a good read for anyone looking to get into hacking the game)

the former believing that Sega’s new console would be an ideal platform for its games, since the 16-bit 68000 processor contained within was the same as its programmers had used on several home computers. This meant that it would be a simple task for Electronic Arts to port its PC games,

so the code is in NHL Hockey and NHL 95 for PC

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/nhl-hockey-29y

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/nhl-95-38f

maybe its time we quit fu cking around with roms, and take a serious look at the PC version

Edited by 77

so the code is in NHL Hockey and NHL 95 for PC

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/nhl-hockey-29y

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/nhl-95-38f

maybe its time we quit fu cking around with roms, and take a serious look at the PC version

People could certainly start looking at the PC versions (they've done amazing things with 2004 for example)

But the 68000 code in personal computers they are talking about, that's not compatible with modern Intel/AMD CPUs. That's the old Macintosh and Amiga computers. They used the same CPU as the Sega, so the code is the same. 68000 code is exactly what I used for my code hacks (weight bug fix, 0-15 ratings, improved 3-stars, fixing the edit lines ratings, etc)

The PC games would have been re-written in Intel code (probably not even C/C++, just intel assembly).

I think maybe I'm not interpreting you correctly?

nevermind... snooping around in the hex editor

i see no fighting in "NHL Hockey" or "NHL Hockey 95"

cool penaltys though, abuse of an official, checking from behind, ect...

It does explain why nhl hockey (based on 92-93 season, which I kept equilevant to nhl94) and nhl95 (based on 93-94) are so similar to sega versions. Just that I think that the pc versions spun off from nhl93 because there is no manual goalie and nhl95 got a major change in rink size, which is why I prefered nhl hockey and thus like the sega nhl94.

If there was a way to play online head to head on pc versions, it could be worth a try, especially if manual goalie could be ported in. But untill then I see the sega nhl94 reign supreme (especially since it brings players of two different platforms together).

nevermind... snooping around in the hex editor

i see no fighting in "NHL Hockey" or "NHL Hockey 95"

cool penaltys though, abuse of an official, checking from behind, ect...

I remember chasing the ref around after stoppages in order to get an "abuse of official" penalty. Fun times...

Sadly, the first two EA NHL games did not have fighting. NHL Hockey on PC was technically NHL 94 and NHL 95 was an upgraded version of it. They brought fighting back in NHL '96 and that was their first foray into 3D pixelated graphics.