NHL'94 Forums

Does anyone else think right-handed players are faster or quicker?

Premium

I am convinced that right-handed players are faster than the left-handed ones. Obviously we can test this but in my head it just feels like the left handed skaters are clearly worse at skating. I wanted to know if anyone else has felt this before there is an actual test.

Klima/Gartner seem faster/quicker than Courtnall/Modano. Davydov seems faster/quicker than Sanderson/Reichel/etc.. Oates seems faster/quicker than Fedorov.

Now this could very well be untrue but we do know for a fact that right-handed players do move differently from left-handed ones, so I think it is possible that the speed or agility is affected as well.

Thoughts?

I am convinced that right-handed players are faster than the left-handed ones. Obviously we can test this but in my head it just feels like the left handed skaters are clearly worse at skating. I wanted to know if anyone else has felt this before there is an actual test.

Klima/Gartner seem faster/quicker than Courtnall/Modano. Davydov seems faster/quicker than Sanderson/Reichel/etc.. Oates seems faster/quicker than Fedorov.

Now this could very well be untrue but we do know for a fact that right-handed players do move differently from left-handed ones, so I think it is possible that the speed or agility is affected as well.

Thoughts?

Not being argumentative. You seem very studious and more likely to have watched/recorded even, replays.

BUT, in my experiences for playing AGAINST righty/lefty, I feel like lefties are faster, ESPECIALLY when playing Ice. Haven't played him in a while, so it's a cloudy memory right now.

As for handling on my own, I like a fast lefty as much as a righty. Shot accuracy is bigger to me than handedness.

way to test this:

make a 1 on 1 ROM

Use NOSE to make the centers on two teams exactly the same except for handedness.

Run the game in two player mode

Set up controls for both players.

In a game, get both players beside each other at the south end of the rink.

At the same time, press and hold up fit both players, and see who wins the race

Top speed they are the same, but they definitely move differently agility-wise. The 7/5/5 setup of Klima/Gartner skate better than Geoff/Modano. 7/5/4 combo of Oates skates better than Fedorov. 7/4/4 of Sundin/Falloon>Larmer/Roberts. Same thing for the 6/4/4 of Davydov/Amonte skating better than Sakic/Sanderson/Reichel. And so on. Righties simply move better in terms of turning and quick directional changes. A straight line race would not show this IMO.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I know why... Had to travel to California to get the answer. All I will say is Premium you are right but you are asking the wrong question.

Sorry about trolling lol

I don't think this topic has enough meat to make it into the final film. But i'll do my best to have an un-cut interview in the itunes extras that covers a lot of these little tweaks that make this game so good and keeps us talking about almost 25 years later.

I know why... Had to travel to California to get the answer. All I will say is Premium you are right but you are asking the wrong question.

Sorry about trolling lol

I don't think this topic has enough meat to make it into the final film. But i'll do my best to have an un-cut interview in the itunes extras that covers a lot of these little tweaks that make this game so good and keeps us talking about almost 25 years later.

Mikey you're the man!

What you got to say now Ice & AJ? Oooooooh!

Sorry about trolling lol

Geeze I feel like we missed an opportunity here. I remember when Mikey solicited questions for Jim Simmons and Mark Lesser interviews. These two could have cleared up all sorts of conspiracy theories, like the long and short stick thing, what all the stats really do (some appear to have no function, and I have even heard some people says there are hidden stats that are undocumented), are righties really better dekers and can they turn quicker, etc., etc...

Anyway, it sounds like maybe Mikey got some of this info all the same. Can't wait for the doc.

Sorry Uncle Seth, Im not saying right handed players are faster the lefties...

I meant its wise of Premium to believe that he mite be having a different experience then other players. He reached out to ask not of the facts, but other peoples "thoughts".

That is a major clue to get inside the head of the programers.

Sorry Uncle Seth, Im not saying right handed players are faster the lefties...

I meant its wise of Premium to believe that he mite be having a different experience then other players. He reached out to ask not of the facts, but other peoples "thoughts".

That is a major clue to get inside the head of the programers.

Gulp

So are we going to learn the ins/outs of the mysterious momentum?

Will we learn that there is a team momentum meter (there were in subsequent games) that changes your player stats in game, based on hits, shots and goals?

Perhaps there are clues within the game, music? Crowd noise?

So are we going to learn the ins/outs of the mysterious momentum?

Will we learn that there is a team momentum meter (there were in subsequent games) that changes your player stats in game, based on hits, shots and goals?

Perhaps there are clues within the game, music? Crowd noise?

You will hear the answers from the guys themselves. But just a heads up, its simple answers.

If there is an ingame momentum it's meter could be the crowd. Would like to know what contributes to that and is it always in favour of the home team. But one thing I dont get is that how it could affect lefties and righties differently unless there is a bug involved.

For Mikey I understand the need to protect an investment to make us wait for the release, but I think majority of the active adults on the forum with income will support your product regardless was the information released or not beforehand. This is not meant as offensive, just my view and I do understand why to struggle with that decision.

For Mikey I understand the need to protect an investment to make us wait for the release, but I think majority of the active adults on the forum with income will support your product regardless was the information released or not beforehand. This is not meant as offensive, just my view and I do understand why to struggle with that decision.

I understand your point fully. I struggle with the decision because I believe most forum people would like to go on the same journey as I did to discover the answers. If I give spoilers or answer questions the movie can loses meaning. Just like diehard fans don't like spoiler reviews before they watch the movie.

Edited by McMikey