NHL'94 Forums

GDL XVI - State of the Union **Season ends Oct 2nd**

Brutus

• 2 weeks later...

As of right now, I'll be replacing more than 2 coaches on Tuesday morning.

Aqua, VC, Labs, Zalex, & Darko are below the minimum mark.

I *bumped* the wait list. Please join in to take over one of these teams come Tuesday morning if they are still below 28.

Probably the last shot at GDL for a while, as due to low participation, I won't be re-doing it for some time.

There's literally nobody online these days for games. This is likely because well its the end of summer. 94 usually begins its peak period in October, and all along winter coinciding with the NHL season. Summer months are usually pretty bad, this last month though has been particularly terrible for participation.

I agree with Ice, another one in mid to late October should be fine, and it can wrap up by December.

I agree with Brutus on this one. I think GDL needs a long hiatus, or should just die altogether even. Make a new league at a later date, with a new format. Never thought I'd say it, but time to pull the plug IMO.

You're nuts.

We're about to knock off 3 GDL's in one year. There's nothing wrong with it just summer die down.

I agree with Brutus on this one. I think GDL needs a long hiatus, or should just die altogether even. Make a new league at a later date, with a new format. Never thought I'd say it, but time to pull the plug IMO.

This seriously makes no sense. Die altogether?? Thats so stupid, we've done three GDLs in a year. You are one of the sources for the problem, rarely seen you online since the league started. Maybe just don't join instead?

Totally agree with FPB. I've been on this site for a decade and can confirm summers are always s**t, people spend time outside and with people rather than at home playing 94. This season has been solid overall.

You are one of the sources for the problem, rarely seen you online since the league started. Maybe just don't join instead?

I got about 20 games in early in the season while you were MIA and had zero GP. Then I went weeks of not finding the hard to find coaches. It's a domino effect, some people don't see others on often so they don't log on themselves as much. Lots of guys waiting till around the time of the checkpoint either because of procrastination or because they know that's when they'll likely find the others. If there were a new league with different rules, I'd be out of GDL in a heartbeat. It's become annoying, too much of a chore IMO. So, yes, I think it does need to just die. I think the system is flawed. I'm allowed an opinion. By the way, you'll get your games w/me, don't worry.

I actually feel bad for Brutus. He put in so much time and work into the draft. Only to have to replace multiple guys and still be on the lookout for more replacements with so many others not getting their games. I could totally see why he isn't interested in commish'ing another GDL for a while.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I got about 20 games in early in the season while you were MIA and had zero GP. Then I went weeks of not finding the hard to find coaches. It's a domino effect, some people don't see others on often so they don't log on themselves as much. Lots of guys waiting till around the time of the checkpoint either because of procrastination or because they know that's when they'll likely find the others. If there were a new league with different rules, I'd be out of GDL in a heartbeat. It's become annoying, too much of a chore IMO. So, yes, I think it does need to just die. I think the system is flawed. I'm allowed an opinion. By the way, you'll get your games w/me, don't worry.

I actually feel bad for Brutus. He put in so much time and work into the draft. Only to have to replace multiple guys and still be on the lookout for more replacements with so many others not getting their games. I could totally see why he isn't interested in commish'ing another GDL for a while.

U actively dodged anybody good in the first weeks so don't pin s**t on habs lmfao

Totally agree with FPB. I've been on this site for a decade and can confirm summers are always s**t, people spend time outside and with people rather than at home playing 94. This season has been solid overall.

I also agree with this! And hope Brutus keeps being commish, cuz he runs things well. (Love the mid-deason checkpoint addition, too, which had a big impact on me, personally.)

Next summer, if I have a big vacation overlap, I may not play any leagues. Now I know. I didn't realize how big an impact summer (and vacation) would have on me and others.

All things considered, we just have to lower our expectations in summer. Or maybe just make smaller, lighter leagues? Or just do exis?

But I think, all things considered, this summer GDL league is going fine.

Guys like Ice, FPB & Habs have been on this site WAY WAY longer time than me, so I would rely on their input even over my own observations.

I think last summer we had decent activity, along with Raph and a few other guys stating they felt summer "lag" was over-stated. The case for this being true seemed to be accurate. But, this summer, there is CLEARLY a lack of activity. I think the whole Toronto GO - NO GO thing took the steam out of a lot of guys sails.

Now, whether it's just the site's activity is DOWN period, or it was due to summer, time will tell.

As far as me being a commish, I am one of the few guys actively doing it, and along with the videos, and communications, I think guys like playing in leagues I run. SO, couple of points.

#1. GDL would not be "killed". The rules for GDL are clear. 24 coaches, long tradition of records/rules, so the core of GDL requires 24 ACTIVE coaches.

#2. I might run a different league with a lesser amount of coaches, so those of us tired of chasing 6-8 inactive coaches can maybe get a mental break from it.

And, then in the future, not run GDL in the summer for sure. Maybe like January & April, with drafts going around December & March.

EITHER WAY, SEASON ENDs still end of September, playoffs will take October to finish. We have time to see if exi activity picks up to warrant starting GDL in November instead of something else.

For the record, there are 16 coaches with SKILL and a hunger for a decent pace of games that are ON & ACTIVE.

There is a plus/minus on this number of 1-2 coaches.

A guy like Zepp likes a more paced approach. A guy like Tex loves to crank out 56 games in 2 weeks, but both can do 56 games in a month & half type league easily.

So for me, I'm leaning to doing a draft with the core guys of GDL for November with a few tweaks to get rid of the repetition/ monotony of the GDL draft.

Top current idea is to use GDL ROM, no additional tweaks to the ROM, but in the draft, to enable selecting a forward to play defense, or defenseman to play forward.

So, you could have Housley/Coffey/Bourque on the wing, or have Gretzky at left defense!

If the league only had 16-18 coaches, would probably go with a classic style schedule where you play each coach 4 times.

Anyhow, DEADLINE tomorrow morning on GDL. Season ends at the end of September.

***Season ends Oct 2nd, SUNDAY night. So, that means come Monday morning, any games not logged (say 7 am eastern), will not count.

Playoffs will then start.

As commish, I will be the one ASSIGNING the DNP's. It WILL BE based on my judgement.

Likely not to give double DNP's for the guys who have been on all season, but in some instances, both coaches will be penalized their DNP's.

DNP's affect WHO makes the playoffs, but not the playoff seeding. This is based in tradition by winning percentage, and no re-seeding, as is tradition as well.