NHL'94 Forums

GDL Schedule Game Windows

HABS

Here's an idea.

Let's have a couple of 4 hour windows each week where coaches can TRY to come online and catch other coaches for games. This wouldn't be mandatory and you could just try to appear sometime in the beginning, middle or end. If you guys are open to it lets vote on some time windows.

Post here for some suggestions then we can go on to make an actual poll.

I suggest Sunday evening 8PM-12AM EST.

And

Wednesday 8-12 EST.

So week 1 Mon and Fri, Week 2 Tuesday And Saturday, Week 3 Wed and Sunday week 4 Thursday and Friday for that back to back action

So week 1 Mon and Fri, Week 2 Tuesday And Saturday, Week 3 Wed and Sunday week 4 Thursday and Friday for that back to back action

With the idea I posted season should be 8 weeks with the rotation cycling twice

In other words, Lupz is suggesting the two nights are switched around every week with one being a weekend. Every fourth week will have both nights on weekends.

I assume these are for next season and future leagues.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal thought: 4 hours may be a too long of a window.

Easier to remember if it were the same 2 days each week. This way, it lends itself to becoming habit and people would be less likely forget what the specific days we're on each week. Never forget the golden acronym K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Edited by Uncle Seth

Easier to remember if it were the same 2 days each week. This way, it lends itself to becoming habit and people would be less likely forget what the specific days we're on each week. Never forget the golden acronym K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

My problem is say it's Tuesday and Thursday I can't participate I have bowling on Tuesdays and Whiffle ball on Thursday nights, if it rotates it solves these type of issues.

Might be more realistic to hold the nortorius slackers to these windows so guys who get there games in know when to catch them.

Sunday nights seem like the easiest. I agree with Seth, rotating days by the week is way too much to ask of people to remember.

I agree with Seth, rotating days by the week is way too much to ask of people to remember.

+1

I also agree with keeping the days fixed.

There will be edge cases (like neither day works for Lupz) but the overall group benefit of this approach is greater with fixed days.

So if they don't show up for x windows or do not have x GP before checkpoint then boot?

I like the idea, don't get me wrong. It's just sad that there's always that portion of people who sign up and don't finish.

Friday & Saturday night are the most dead nights, so you have to have Sunday night to get a weekend in.

Wednesday is middle of the week & the most active night along with Monday night.

Good idea. Anyone who can never make those 2 nights knows up front to potentially work harder to get games in or not sign up.

Such a novel idea! If I don't think I will be able to find anyone, maybe that league is not for me??!?

I GIVE mad props to my French F'cker who gets his games in while being 8-10hours ahead of us, working a full time job, involved with his family & still finds time to play his league games & moonlight on the corner :)

Also, I need to come up with a better way for us all to be using some "available for games" options.

For example, I set up I might be available on Monday night at 1030 pm central for a few hours. But I don't want to stop my night & get setup unless o have games arranged. So if no one reached out to me they might be on as well, I'd go from 90% show to a 30% show.

In this example, if there was a weekly schedule that guys updated their availability, other guys could know to look for them then. And in this schedule, if there is a way to mark you may/may not be able to catch them then. Percentage of showing up would also be good cause they are tentative schedules.

I have a fantasy football draft tonight at 6, then I will be home to play. Off tomorrow so big window for me tonight. Hopefully be on around 10-10:30 till ?

The most efficient way to do this is through a group chat (on mobile) that is solely used to schedule games. A good way to do this would be through Slack. It has to be different from AIM because AIM will give notifications from things people don't want to see. Slack is also more polished and has more customization options.

The most efficient way to do this is through a group chat (on mobile) that is solely used to schedule games. A good way to do this would be through Slack. It has to be different from AIM because AIM will give notifications from things people don't want to see. Slack is also more polished and has more customization options.

Another option I was thinking was a google doc that requires a bi-weekly update by all coaches marking their tentative availability. Most coaches don't want to switch off of AIM, or give up personal cell's. You are actually one of the only ones who has never given me his cell, although you are in high school and show up all the time, so I don't mind/care.

The other is Seth, but he doesn't have one!! FPB uses a burner I think :) , and I get his updated here & there.