NHL'94 Forums

NHL'94 Genesis Title Screen Photo

kingraph

Not sure if this ever came up, but has anyone wondered what the title screen photo is for NHL'94?

jV8MpDk.png

I'm almost certain this is Bryan Marchment (#2, Chicago) getting checked by Scott LaChance (#7, New York Islanders).

4991-369Bk.jpg

From the jerseys, this was a home game for the Islanders. So I'm guessing this was from the 1992-93 season, which would make it the April 8, 1993 game where the Hawks won 3-2. It's the only time those two teams met in New York that year.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to get the original photo and/or game footage. Just think it'd be fun to have it...that is all.

• Like 1

That's an amazing idea... to find the original photo... hmmmm. Is the photographer credited anywhere in the game/manual?

Maybe if we find the original front cover photo as well (and the photographer) that might give us some clues

Edited by McMikey

Update. I sent an email to Michael Brook asking about the photo, this is what he said...

"Photo most likely a stock photo, or one that we had shot for us. Jogged my memory but don't remember specifics of the photo. I think we had a selection to choose from and thinking a good hard check would be the most appropriate for the game."

Update. I sent an email to Michael Brook asking about the photo, this is what he said...

"Photo most likely a stock photo, or one that we had shot for us. Jogged my memory but don't remember specifics of the photo. I think we had a selection to choose from and thinking a good hard check would be the most appropriate for the game."

This just made my day! I know someone who may have access to the Islander game archives, so I'm working to get a copy of that game (if it exists). The hunt continues!

Also, Douglas Wike was credited with the graphics. Not sure if this is him, but he seems to be looking for work atm: https://www.linkedin.com/in/doug-wike-3b62109

Douglas Wike from the east coast around Mark Lesser. Mark hired him to do all the pixel art. NHL '94 was one of his last games that Doug had a big part in making. Mark never stayed in touch with him. It would be awesome to find him!

Back to the picture you can see the '93 100th anniversary patch on the right shoulder on the Islanders jersey. (or I'm I seeing things)

iz9vo3.jpgzt6erp.png29zspl4.jpg

Maybe if we find the original front cover photo as well (and the photographer) that might give us some clues

Okay, so this looks like an even bigger mystery. Here's the photo:

pb2GhCE.png

This appears to be a Boston Bruins at the Los Angeles Kings game. That is Ray Bourque (#77) on the ground, Tomas Sandstrom (#7) of the Kings, and Andy Moog in net:

281CUbF.png

Now, who the hell is #50 on the Bruins? Turns out that is Clark Donatelli, who only played in 10 Boston Bruins games in his career!

Hv4PaBs.png

Now, what I don't understand is, the only game vs the Kings that Donatelli played in was a Bruins home game on March 15th. However, the photo is clearly a Kings home game as back then home teams always wore white at home. These teams also did not ever play in the preseason (they're across the coast!). Sooooooo, wtf is this photo? My guess it's some sort of altered photo -- photoshopped before photoshop existed -- because this game did not happen and the board signs are also not correct. They had to alter them to remove the sponsors.

When I take a closer look at the photo, my guess is Donatelli was added to the photo later...he looks like he was cut out and pasted there. If you picture this actually happening, it looks like a massive collision is about to take place! lol

However, the photo is clearly a Kings home game as back then home teams always wore white at home. These teams also did not ever play in the preseason (they're across the coast!). Sooooooo...

I am not a hockey fan, and don't know much about anything, but!! Isn't there, or wasn't there, a "reverse jersey" night now and again, so the home team could see the away jersey?

Come to think of it, what I am saying probably doesn't help. But! I am with you, that Donatelli probably got added. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if these entire graphics are cut and paste jobs; maybe everyone is pasted in or tweaked to some extent...

Edited by aqualizard

He's totally cut/pasted in :D

Open the picture in a new tab: http://i.imgur.com/pb2GhCE.png

Then zoom in with Ctrl++ a bunch. Look at #50's face area. Totally a cutout. Awesome catch Raph.

Ctrl+0 (zero) to reset the zoom to normal.

Stats aren't wrong...I found another news article confirming Donatelli joined the Bruins in March, debut against the Nordiques:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-03-15/sports/1992075110_1_donatelli-boston-bruins-quebec-nordiques

The Bruins played LA that year February 17, 1992, nearly a month before.

Not sure if that's the game, but it's either the 1992 game, or one of the 1991 games:

October 13, 1990

February 16, 1991

Either way, 100% Donatelli was not in those games!

Yeah. It's most likely from a game in which the home team decided not to wear white.

That picture is was taken in the Boston Garden. I think it's legit.

Why would you think that? 99% of the time the home team wears white, Mikey proved it was LA from his picture of the tans bars behind the goalie, and we know Donatelli only played in 10 games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-2fGVnJ1sQ

The arena in the picture is the same as the one featured in the video. The ads and grey bars that separate the boards are the exact same in positioning and length, and you can see the railings too.

Also, you can search for images of 1992 Boston Bruin hockey cards. You can see that the arena looks identical to what is in the picture on the cards where the picture was taken in the Boston Garden.

Edited by Premium

WOW! So perhaps a legit photo from the March 15th game vs LA IN Boston.

I searched newspapers.com to find a photo from that game to see if we can nail down the Jersey colors, no luck. But Plabax is right, those boards match up! Just need ONE photo from that game!

I searched newspapers.com to find a photo from that game to see if we can nail down the Jersey colors, no luck. But Plabax is right, those boards match up! Just need ONE photo from that game!

THAT IS THE BOSTON GARDENS!!!! OMG THE BOARDS!

#BestThreadOfTheYear

Edited by McMikey

March 15, 1992 was a Boston Celtics home game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2izLF_wuVg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199203150BOS.html