NHL'94 Forums

There needs to be a revamp of how leagues are run and get back to playing this game the way it was meant o be played !

hokkeefan

First of all all this pass shot goals and cb check neeed to be OUT of this game!.
Next these leagues need to be wayyy shorter to keep the flow and excitement going !!( this is really important !!!!)
Lets go back to when NHL94 was da s**t and everyone had fun and we were all active and having fun !!
Especially for the new people who come to this site and expect to have fun and play HOCKEY the way hockey is supposed to be played !!
No more bullshit , time to go back to when it was fun for everyone !!!

Screw you guys who all gang up and shutdown any good ideas , TIME TO WAKE UP !!!!

Edited by hokkeefan

I agree for the most part, only for the pass shot, I don't use it often because I'm not trained enough, but it's definitely part of the game.

For the CB check, I think there is a hack, is it efficient ? If yes, it should be use in all league, as the weight hack and the goalie hack.

Concerning the new players, I said often in the past that this site is not really an NHL'94 communality, it's just a group of guys who like to play NHL'94 in a certain way.

New players are often enthusiast, but not a lot are staying, it's a fact.

People who like to play differently, or with another point of view are not specially welcome here.

Nothing is really done to protect new players, and specially the level of play. Ok, the classic league is more equilibrated that in the past, but I can't count the number of time, who A, B and C players where mixed without any logic.

There isn't any C or D league here, specially run for new players.

We can edit rom easily, and I don't think it would be a Titan work to create different level league for all players.

My point of view is that we need to create an efficient competition structure with promotion and relegation. For regular players, and another for casual players.

Personally, I would use more of my time to change something, but I need to confess that my english level is too limited to get on the point, organize this kind of project would be indeed difficult for me. I proposed in the past that we open specials section in the forums, for different Nationality, a French section, a Russian section, a German section, etc... To extend the number of players, and maybe having different leagues, with other teams that the NHL teams. There where positives reactions, but nothing was done.

I agree too for the zero tolerance about the calender, most of the league are ruined by the players who don't play their games.

Some propositions were formulate, but like I said, new ideas are not welcome here.

Edited by Pearate

I do not agree that pass shots and CB check should be banned.

However, I do think that we should do more for our new people.

I do think that there is a natural progression that happens, and if you are Tier B, you probably don't do many pass shots or CB checks. As you learn and get better, you may advance to A, and then you probably will encounter a lot more of them. So in a way, there already is an (unofficial) "ban" on pass shots and CB: They don't happen in the Tier a newbie will be playing in!

However, I am a little afraid that some new guys decide not to stick around when they get trounced by Vets. A solid B player can still kill a newbie (who really is C level), and some guys may leave after a few of these beatings. Perhaps there should be a C tier, only for newbies? Maybe we will only get 4 or 5 guys, but it might be more encouraging for them to play at their own level? Then if they stick with it, they can go to B? (It is worth noting according to the Classic Waiting List, there is a ton of B players, and not so many As. It might be better for Bs to have the new guys taken out, so the B league isn't monstrous again?)

I have tried with little success.

Everyone likes drafting and huge leagues.

Actually playing is not a big attraction.

6-8 teams per league is all you need.

Split up by skill.

A

B

C

D

E

Nobody wants to play in 6-man leagues.. get real lol

It's your point of view, and it's not universal. I will play in a 6-man league, with promotion and relegation. With CoachMac we are two. By the way, wasn't the NHL a 6 team league for many years ??

• Like 1

I do not agree that pass shots and CB check should be banned.

However, I do think that we should do more for our new people.

I do think that there is a natural progression that happens, and if you are Tier B, you probably don't do many pass shots or CB checks. As you learn and get better, you may advance to A, and then you probably will encounter a lot more of them. So in a way, there already is an (unofficial) "ban" on pass shots and CB: They don't happen in the Tier a newbie will be playing in!

However, I am a little afraid that some new guys decide not to stick around when they get trounced by Vets. A solid B player can still kill a newbie (who really is C level), and some guys may leave after a few of these beatings. Perhaps there should be a C tier, only for newbies? Maybe we will only get 4 or 5 guys, but it might be more encouraging for them to play at their own level? Then if they stick with it, they can go to B? (It is worth noting according to the Classic Waiting List, there is a ton of B players, and not so many As. It might be better for Bs to have the new guys taken out, so the B league isn't monstrous again?)

Totally agree, only for the CB check, who I think it's a bug of the game, not a real skill.

We need definitely a reserved league for C players

Edited by Pearate

In the case that more voices would help: I would love 6 person leagues. AAA baseball teams don't play single A teams for a reason. Half of my schedule in GDL is games I can automatically pencil in as a loss. There isn't much intrigue to a 24 person league, we already know the handful of guys who will be competing to win it all.

If the size of the active playing community were larger this wouldn't be an issue. Do guys see this community existing in the next 5-10 years with the same subset of players? There should definitely be an attempt to foster growth. We gotta keep the new players invested.

On a personal note, I'd be stoked to be in a small league with guys in my skill range like Aqua and JV. Those guys get their games in!!!

Not sure if any of you guys buy the modern gaming system, but PS4/Xbox 1, both have stupid good games out these days.

I know it pulls my Nhl '94 time away because I currently have to move my computer to set up by the router to not desynch. Too much work just to play some nights compared to firing up ps4.

The difficulty of getting a non-desynch game with wife/kids surfing net or the YouTube / Netflix issue has removed ALOT of guys who used to be able to play easier.

So the new blood is not so easy to come by as modern games, even the hockey online w/ up to 12 players at the same time, is a lot stronger competition for finding guys to join in.

Combine that with it becoming more difficult for previous members to get online for a playable game & it's no surprise activity is lessened.

I don't equate A/B/C talent as much of the issues because compared to these other issues it really pales. So blaming C/b or B shots is really just missing the bigger picture imo & I'm not actually disputing for or against that part.

I don't see how with the current Gens emulator & not being able to play wireless, we would expect Nhl 94 to become a 100 plus active players.

And you need size around there to have multiple leagues with all these different ideas to be formed & grow C talent, maintain B talent, satisfy A talent.

So just to be clear, plenty of people want to play in 6-man leagues!

In this thread, the people that say they are fine with it are:

Pearate, Coachmac, sonoffett87, and aqualizard, (4)

People that say not fine:

You. (1)

Hokkee and Brutus didn't weigh in.

Bottom line is -- although the sample size is small -- people like a well run league, that has high participation, and size is not a big factor.

Note: I just made a poll to ask if people will play in a small league:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php/topic/17723-would-you-play-in-6-man-league/

Edited by aqualizard

I don't necessarily agree with hokkee about pass shots and c/b, but I think that starting NEW leagues is the way to go as opposed to revamping existing leagues. If hokkee started an 8 man no cb no pass shot league I would sign up just the same.

hokkee if you have a problem with a core mechanic of the game then maybe you need to reevaluate why you play this game. the thing that makes 94 so great is different people can have different play styles. if everyone played the same way it would get so boring so fast.

anyway one idea i had a while ago was to have a set schedule where you meet your opponent at an agreed upon date and time and if one doesnt show up its a forfeit. there might be more DNP's as a result but the leagues wouldnt drag on forever.

Edited by donnybrook

anyway one idea i had a while ago was to have a set schedule where you meet your opponent at an agreed upon date and time and if one doesnt show up its a forfeit. there might be for DNP's as a result but the leagues wouldnt drag on forever.

I have a similar idea, has some more flexibility to allow games to be played ahead of time, but I ever run a league I will have a schedule of games to be played and standings that are all current.

anyway one idea i had a while ago was to have a set schedule where you meet your opponent at an agreed upon date and time and if one doesnt show up its a forfeit. there might be for DNP's as a result but the leagues wouldnt drag on forever.

If we consider this game eSport, there is no difference between training in soccer on the middle of the week and having a game the weekend. So I say yes if we set a clear schedule. The only question is : are we eSport players, and is there enough players who can accept a schedule. And what with the casuals players ?