NHL'94 Forums

Pass Shots and CB Checking: The Truth

aqualizard

8 hours ago, Premium said:

I just don't see how the massive difference in play comes down to anything else but the CB check. It's the only thing there is to factor out.. 

7 hours ago, Premium said:

Plabax is perfect when the cheese is removed and has never even seen a game 7 despite having the most titles ever. 

Here is what you don't appreciate, or refuse to appreciate, Plabax: CB checking is a skill.  It is not cheese.  So it is not fair to "factor out" CB checking anymore than it is fair to factor out great manual goalie control, or great team drafting, or a myriad of other skills. If you are getting beat by people "because of CB checking", you are getting beat because of better skill. It's not complicated.

Like others, this is also my last post in this thread.

It takes skill, but it's still cheese. You guys can say what you want, but the numbers are right in your face. NOBODY was able to get under 2.94GAA without it, yet with the CB check the worst we see is 2.61GAA. 

What is wrong in me saying it's because of the CB check? It's just a night and day observation. It's a good one too because when Raph can't take advantage of the CB check, he tends to lose in 4 straight or 5 games. It just doesn't make any sense, how can he ever lose in 4 straight or in 5 games if he really is that good at defense? 

You guys just can't admit the truth, and we all know it. 

22 minutes ago, Premium said:

It takes skill, but it's still cheese. You guys can say what you want, but the numbers are right in your face. NOBODY was able to get under 2.94GAA without it, yet with the CB check the worst we see is 2.61GAA. 

What is wrong in me saying it's because of the CB check? It's just a night and day observation. It's a good one too because when Raph can't take advantage of the CB check, he tends to lose in 4 straight or 5 games. It just doesn't make any sense, how can he ever lose in 4 straight or in 5 games if he really is that good at defense? 

You guys just can't admit the truth, and we all know it. 

The one problem with this post is your using data about a player (Raph) from over a year, and a half ago summer 2015, to think Raph hasn't improved as a player, and knowledge wise since then is foolish, so assuming he will just get rolled over in 4-5 games without CB check in a WBF league now because it happened then is really stretching what you perceive as truth to fit your agenda, and try, and prove your point.  Doesn't work that way bud.

Some people like to pretend all games are played in a vacuum.

I know I lost a series to Depch in Classic finals that I played for my first time ever at like 7 am to try to accommodate his time zone differential, and I PLAYED HORRIBLE for MY STANDARDS.  Yes, Depch was a better player than me at that time, but I mean, I STUNK up the place.

I've played vs Plabax, especially in the past, where the CONNECTION was SO bad, you couldn't even rate the play.  HELL, Plabax RAGE QUIT Classic after losing to me, when I was a C checking whore, blamed it on the terrible LAG/ combined with how gay Classic is because of the home/away advantages.  (not stating those advantages/limitations aren't real).

I KNOW Raph isn't one to publicly complain, but at the LIVE tourney, only KG was able to put up much of a game vs him, where NO lag was present.  To ME, I would be surprised if your record vs Raph in a NON-LAG environment would be the same as you remember it now.

I've always thought the B check was cheese.

And crease-cut goals. They're stoppable, but still lame. Although I guess if you have a light 5+ StH guy you can cheese through even B check cheese defense.

I don't like that CB removes an 'axis' from the game (making weight irrelevant), but it's just another weird thing in the game to take advantage of, not some kind of game killer.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

The one problem with this post is your using data about a player (Raph) from over a year, and a half ago summer 2015, to think Raph hasn't improved as a player, and knowledge wise since then is foolish, so assuming he will just get rolled over in 4-5 games without CB check in a WBF league now because it happened then is really stretching what you perceive as truth to fit your agenda, and try, and prove your point.  Doesn't work that way bud.

No, he gets rolled over in GDL after the improvement. He claims he improved, but he got knocked out in round 2 after. If he improved as a player, why did he lose in round 2 afterwards in 5 games?

46 minutes ago, Premium said:

No, he gets rolled over in GDL after the improvement. He claims he improved, but he got knocked out in round 2 after. If he improved as a player, why did he lose in round 2 afterwards in 5 games?

You know the answer to this, I'm not gonna explain it, and I know Raph isn't gonna engage so it's a dead point move on to something else that helps your cause.

2 hours ago, Brutus said:

Some people like to pretend all games are played in a vacuum.

I know I lost a series to Depch in Classic finals that I played for my first time ever at like 7 am to try to accommodate his time zone differential, and I PLAYED HORRIBLE for MY STANDARDS.  Yes, Depch was a better player than me at that time, but I mean, I STUNK up the place.

I've played vs Plabax, especially in the past, where the CONNECTION was SO bad, you couldn't even rate the play.  HELL, Plabax RAGE QUIT Classic after losing to me, when I was a C checking whore, blamed it on the terrible LAG/ combined with how gay Classic is because of the home/away advantages.  (not stating those advantages/limitations aren't real).

I KNOW Raph isn't one to publicly complain, but at the LIVE tourney, only KG was able to put up much of a game vs him, where NO lag was present.  To ME, I would be surprised if your record vs Raph in a NON-LAG environment would be the same as you remember it now.

SInce you did not use CRT TVs you did not play in a lag-free environment. It is quite likely that your lag was superior to some online games

Edited by The Russian Rocket

12 minutes ago, The Russian Rocket said:

SInce you did not use CRT TVs you did not play in a lag-free environment. It is quite likely that your lag was superior to some online games

Wikipedia says that LCDs don't have significant lag when using VGA or composite inputs. Thoughts? I'm not sure of the response time on LCDs (other than ghosting, which is different..)

"Connection through VGA cable or component should eliminate perceivable input lag on many TVs even if they already have a game mode. Advanced post-processing is non existent on analog connection and the signal traverses without delay." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag#Game_mode

I already said I was a bigtime CB checker. I used the CB check to my advantage when I swept you 4-0 too, but I have still given beatdowns and I still won 5 titles without it.

CB check or not, my stats don't fluctuate like Raph's do. Raph would know that I don't CB check ANYMORE if: he actually read the posts in the thread and if he could make it past round 2 to play against me.

Edited by Premium

13 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Wikipedia says that LCDs don't have significant lag when using VGA or composite inputs. Thoughts? I'm not sure of the response time on LCDs (other than ghosting, which is different..)

"Connection through VGA cable or component should eliminate perceivable input lag on many TVs even if they already have a game mode. Advanced post-processing is non existent on analog connection and the signal traverses without delay." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag#Game_mode

That's true of some specific models. Computer monitors are made with input lag in mind, most televisions are not. 

1 hour ago, Premium said:

I already said I was a bigtime CB checker. I used the CB check to my advantage when I swept you 4-0 too, but I have still given beatdowns and I still won 5 titles without it.

CB check or not, my stats don't fluctuate like Raph's do. Raph would know that I don't CB check ANYMORE if: he actually read the posts in the thread and if he could make it past round 2 to play against me.

Your talking about the guy who has beat you in the last 2 playoff series you guys played in?

When was the last time you went through Raph to win a title?  Blitz?  He went through you to win GDL 14.  Your doing an awful lot of bashing against a guy who has beaten you in classic playoffs, and for a GDL championship the last 2 times you guys tangled in meaningful games (insert Plabs CB excuse here).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

dacf053ec26b4343e34578089f0ceba7.jpgNarcissist.jpeg

Premium Priceless Princess Plabax go run your league.

You are 48 hours late for assigning penalties for this checkpoint.

What are you doing taking a shower?

Up next he will rage quit his own league because he can't win.

Unbelievable!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

Unbelievable!

lol! thats gold

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Your talking about the guy who has beat you in the last 2 playoff series you guys played in?

When was the last time you went through Raph to win a title?  Blitz?  He went through you to win GDL 14.  Your doing an awful lot of bashing against a guy who has beaten you in classic playoffs, and for a GDL championship the last 2 times you guys tangled in meaningful games (insert Plabs CB excuse here).

It's like Tyson Gay, the guy who beat Usain Bolt in a race ONCE in his life (while on steroids) saying that he's a better runner than Usain Bolt even after the 2016 Olympics where he didn't qualify for the finals because Usain Bolt didn't beat him in the 100m final. What a joke. I am the current GDL champion. 

Just listen and hear me out: It makes no sense for Raph to lose to FPB in GDL. The reason he lost to FPB is because he couldn't destroy him with the CB and he couldn't stop JR. Even though Raph was better, he got smoked because he couldn't outcheese FPB. I think Raph cheesed me in GDL 14 the same way FPB cheesed him. Raph says he improved, but two of his best three GDL seasons were GDL 09 and GDL 10, so how has he "improved" if he has done worse in recent seasons? The answer is because it's not about true skill when Raph plays, it's about gimmicks and who can be the cheaper player. 

I'm saying that, since none of the cheese is present in Blitz, the results are a better indicator of skill. Raph would beat FPB in Blitz, but I do not think he would beat me. It's a very fair argument to make. Me saying Raph is not as good as his GDL14 results suggests is not bashing. It's the truth. It's the same case for AJ in GDL16 too, his results were clearly inflated with his cheesy CB check strategy.

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

dacf053ec26b4343e34578089f0ceba7.jpgNarcissist.jpeg

Unbelievable!

The deadline for assigning my penalties was midnight, so no I was not 48 hours late, in fact, I was technically early. 

You know you love me. You are constantly reading my threads, PMing me asking to join my league, PMing me asking me how to enable B checks with no penalties for you, etc. I hope you will be there to congratulate me on my league title!

I'd beat you in Blitz just as easily in GDL if we ever played on a decent connection.   All of our Blitz playoff series were jokes.  You act like you went undefeated. 

I lost to FPB because I was not playing my best, drafted poorly and was officially burned out. Not gonna take a guy like him out without playing 100%.  He's a top level player (he also WON GDL).  Likely the same reason I got swept by Zalex in Classic.  I had Buffalo, thought I would never lose with that team.  

You talk so much nonsense, make so many unfounded claims, that are completely in your own mind. You are a great player, but not as great as you think you are.  Too bad you won't join Brutus's league.  No CB.  I'd beat you easily there too. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, Premium said:

It's not to take anything away from Raph or any other skilled CB checker, but what I am trying to say essentially is:

Guys like Raph are too SKILLED for anyone to ever be able to beat them without a counter. Take a note of all the teams that eliminated Raph without the CB check and compare it to the teams that eliminated him with it. You NEED to have a counter to the CB check to beat him when it's enabled. The CB check is not countered by skill, but it's countered by the right combination of players. Even if you were 10x as good as Raph, you still would get your ass handed to you without an extremely good player / team. On the flip side, even if Raph were better than you, you would still have a very good shot at beating him if you could counter the CB check. See: FPB, who had Roenick and beat Raph in 5 games but is not a better player than Raph.

Another example: Angryjay. Clearly an inferior player to myself, but I would lose to him and the CB check 100% of the time if I used a team such as my GDL14 roster.

Clearly inferior? Haha maybe you're joking, but maybe you're kind of a douche lol I know I'm new here but it's funny reading your posts

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Quetzalcoatlus said:

Clearly inferior? Haha maybe you're joking, but maybe you're kind of a douche lol I know I'm new here but it's funny reading your posts

I wasn't joking. What do you suggest I say instead? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Quetzalcoatlus said:

sounds like youre the douche

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Quetzalcoatlus said:

haha ya probably :blink:

Don't let the nerd push you around!

Also, for those not aware, Plabax used to use a LAG SWITCH, which greatly increased his playoff winning percentages.  It was after this was discovered, and his controversial retirement that suddenly, his greatness has been put into question.

AND, the guy who FOUND the C/B trick is Plabax, and he used it for over a full season and won a title before sharing it, but part of his "glory" was with a clear advantage I think Frey? didn't know about. 

I mean, 1 million kudos to the kid to finding a bug in the game 20 years later that noone else had and using it to his advantage.  BUT in the debate of straight skill, Plabax was more like Belichick, using all the edges to win, but they become tainted.

Can't take away the trophies though, or the lack of class :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2