NHL'94 Forums

Fusion Tournament bestof7

Why not have every team play ever other team in a 7 game series?

Then:

1. the two with the best record play each other in a 7 game series? (3 and 4 can play, too?), or

2. top 4 make playoffs, and 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3..

This is good idea, but this tournament is just a test, so we will be free to play other tournament or league in the future, I have a plan for the start of the next year, with a league with some news rules. Based on line change and Offside. Calendar with clear checkpoint. And with a Gens and Fusion mix, the home team will be free to use the emulator he wants.

So for this tournament, I don't want to surcharge the Classic calendar.

Edited by Pearate

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still working on the rom.

For the moment I can give the tree, based on the last IIHF Classic rank (spring 2015)

1 Kingraph (3)

2 Icestorm (6)

3 Pearate (44)

4 donnybrook (not ranked and playing in A)

5 AtomicRaven (not ranked and playing in B with the best record)

6 aqualizard (not ranked and playing in B )

1st round : 2nd round :

1 Kingraph - New York Rangers vs 4, 5 or 6

3 Pearate - Winnipeg Jets

6 aqualizard - Chicago Blackhawks

2 Icestorm - Quebec Nordiques vs 3, 4 or 5

4 donnybrook - Detroit Redwings

5 AtomicRaven - Montreal Canadiens

Any suggestion or comment are welcome

Edited by Pearate

I was not so easy to edit the playoffs tree. There is a part of aleatory in the selection, so it can take long until you find the good selection.

So I prefer to edit a rom for each round. Just select the good team 1, your opponent is automatically selected. Just by careful on which team is at home on the top of the screen, the team 1 is not automatically selected at home, retry until it's good.

Here is the rom Fusion Cup round 1.bin .

The Fusion Cup start officially today 28/11/16 3pm EST and you have 2 weeks until 11/11/16 3pm EST, to play the first round. Of course you don't need to wait the last moment.

Good Luck ! :)

Edited by Pearate

Yeah, if people want to use this tool for their 7 game series, it is a great way to record stats. If not, no biggie. But I know when I play games I will plug the game saves in because I want to make sure my the severity of my (received) beatings is on record. ;)

We can of course try to keep the records, we will use your method.

Currently it works only with nhl94 rom. We may expand in future but it gets complicated with drafts etc...I just uploaded a kega game save and it worked but have not thoroughly tested with that emulator yet.

I'm almost sure the saves are 100 % compatible. We have played 1 or 2 games in the past on Kega and uploaded the save in a gens tournament. Never had problem.

So Pearate and I played 4 of our games, and it is 2 to 2 in the series. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

1. No crashes at all!

2. The lags still happen, but they feel different... play just short of slows down, no missing frames and sudden spikes...

3. Looks more like a TV screen (sort of blurry -- not really sure if this is a pro or con)

CONS

1. The game is much slower

2. The feeling is slow and disconnected, like "playing underwater"

3. I can't get the window very big, so have to sit very close to monitor

Before we used Fusion, we tried to play a game using Gens. It was horrible. We had to restart a couple times due to serious lag and erratic frames. Then when we thought we had a game going, it desynced. But even before it desynced, I was having to hit the CPR button repeatedly, and honestly it cost me some goals. (Sometimes you hit CPR and then forget to click on the GENs window, so for a moment or 2 have no control.) When it desynced we gave up.

Sooo... long story short, because it does not crash, I do think that Fusion is better for playing someone far away (with a slow ping rate). But! The games are sort of novelty games.... they don't feel normal at all. Like I said, there is a slow motion feeling like playing underwater.

I am going to do some exis with Atomicraven using Fusion and see how those go. He is local, so I am hoping the underwater feeling goes away...

I will report back.

One final PRO: It is good to try something new! (This community often seems "stuck in their ways"...)

Edited by aqualizard

So Pearate and I played 4 of our games, and it is 2 to 2 in the series. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

1. No crashes at all!

2. The lags still happen, but they feel different... play just short of slows down, no missing frames and sudden spikes...

3. Looks more like a TV screen (sort of blurry -- not really sure if this is a pro or con)

CONS

1. The game is much slower

2. The feeling is slow and disconnected, like "playing underwater"

3. I can't get the window very big, so have to sit very close to monitor

Before we used Fusion, we tried to play a game using Gens. It was horrible. We had to restart a couple times due to serious lag and erratic frames. Then when we thought we had a game going, it desynced. But even before it desynced, I was having to hit the CPR button repeatedly, and honestly it cost me some goals. (Sometimes you hit CPR and then forget to click on the GENs window, so for a moment or 2 have no control.) When it desynced we gave up.

Sooo... long story short, because it does not crash, I do think that Fusion is better for playing someone far away (with a slow ping rate). But! The games are sort of novelty games.... they don't feel normal at all. Like I said, there is a slow motion feeling like playing underwater.

I am going to do some exis with Atomicraven using Fusion and see how those go. He is local, so I am hoping the underwater feeling goes away...

I will report back.

One final PRO: It is good to try something new! (This community often seems "stuck in their ways"...)

Good to read, same feeling, I really appreciated the stability. For the window, press ESC and you are in full screen, and choice your resolution too in the video setting, there is a lot of other option for the visual you want. The "TV screen look" and the "sort of blurry" is just the native setting I think.

The games were just too slow, that's true.

My setting for the connection was : Bandwidth Med, Latency 116 (1 rank under the ping) maybe this setting are wrong and the cause of the slow motion feeling. I know that my actual connection is not the best in the world and with the distance we can't do miracle. But with a good setting maybe. Can you try an High Bandwidth setting with Atomic ? or less latency ?

What's sure, is that Kega runs the game slower that Gens. (In reality, it's Gens who runs the game at an higher speed that the normal, there was a post about this fact on the forum).

In global, the games were very tactical and a good experience. It was very hard to find a way through the defense, the first games ends 1-0. Is it because the games was slow ? or because we were playing in the playoffs mode ? What I'm sure is that the goalies were very good and the defense men very well placed.

So I'm impatient to play the rest :)

Yeah Pearate, I was actually thinking -- due to no crashes -- to do our Classic games with Kega. (Well actually, try Gens first, then when it stutters and is crap, which is 90% likely, then use Kega. I do prefer the speed of Gens, but if it doesn't work prefer the stability of Kega over 5 Gens restarts.)

One other thing: I don't understand the Playoff ROM? Why not just use the normal Classic ROM, and select the needed teams? Seems slightly faster (since you don't have to keep trying to get the right home team) and more accessible (since we have all downloaded the ROM already)...

But, if there is a reason for the Playoff ROM, then we should add 99 minute overtimes. You and I almost had a game run out with the 10 minute overtime...

None of this is a big deal, just giving some feedback since you seemed receptive to my comments above. Bottom line is, I appreciate your effort in putting this league together and trying new things. ;)

Yeah Pearate, I was actually thinking -- due to no crashes -- to do our Classic games with Kega. (Well actually, try Gens first, then when it stutters and is crap, which is 90% likely, then use Kega. I do prefer the speed of Gens, but if it doesn't work prefer the stability of Kega over 5 Gens restarts.)

One other thing: I don't understand the Playoff ROM? Why not just use the normal Classic ROM, and select the needed teams? Seems slightly faster (since you don't have to keep trying to get the right home team) and more accessible (since we have all downloaded the ROM already)...

But, if there is a reason for the Playoff ROM, then we should add 99 minute overtimes. You and I almost had a game run out with the 10 minute overtime...

None of this is a big deal, just giving some feedback since you seemed receptive to my comments above. Bottom line is, I appreciate your effort in putting this league together and trying new things. ;)

the reason of the playoffs rom is because I want to try the playoffs mode. It's just that.

Do you think the games are the same in regular season and in playoffs ? I have the feeling that the IA react better in playoffs. When I play the CPU in playoffs he is better and score more goals that in the regular season mode. Maybe it's just my imagination.

Well done for the stats looks great.

Edited by Pearate

Atomic and I played last night, after we had trouble with Gens.

It was awesome! Best part was no drops or desyncs!

Overall, though things slowed down at times, in situation where Gens probably would have dropped, it was much more playable. Out-of-the-box it is slower, and more like the real thing!

Also, I did find out how to go fullscreen! Which sure beats how it looks on Gens.

Revised Pros and Cons:

PROS

1. No crashes at all!

3. Full screen is excellent (on my 1080p TV screen which I play on in my living room)

4. Looks more like a TV screen (sort of blurry, but I like it)

5. Game speed is slower, like real Genesis (I moved this from Cons)

CONS

1. The feeling is slow and disconnected, like "playing underwater", but only when you play someone far away **

** So only one con, which isn't a con when playing someone close.

Bottom line, I wish everyone used this instead of Gens. It just seems like more polished software.

Edited by aqualizard

When you full-screen it, does it keep the usual aspect ratio? Or does it stretch it to fill the entire screen and your players become super fat/short?

It keeps the correct aspect ratio (or close to it), with black bars on the left and right.

Atomic and I played last night, after we had trouble with Gens.

It was awesome! Best part was no drops or desyncs!

Overall, though things slowed down at times, in situation where Gens probably would have dropped, it was much more playable. Out-of-the-box it is slower, and more like the real thing!

Also, I did find out how to go fullscreen! Which sure beats how it looks on Gens.

Revised Pros and Cons:

PROS

1. No crashes at all!

3. Full screen is excellent (on my 1080p TV screen which I play on in my living room)

4. Looks more like a TV screen (sort of blurry, but I like it)

5. Game speed is slower, like real Genesis (I moved this from Cons)

CONS

1. The feeling is slow and disconnected, like "playing underwater", but only when you play someone far away **

** So only one con, which isn't a con when playing someone close.

Bottom line, I wish everyone used this instead of Gens. It just seems like more polished software.

My two cents

• Game Play is slower than GENS. Speed felt identical to playing on Sega Genesis. Not sure if this is a pro or con. When I first started playing the online leagues, the speed increase was barely noticable. Going back to the actual Gens speed, things seem much slower than I remember.
  • The software is much more polished as Aqua mentions. It seems to be very efficient CPU and memory wise.
  • There were no drops - this was really great. It seems to deal with packet / frame loss really well...things just get slower, but you can still move your player and see whats happening, unlike Gens where things seem to suddenly skip ahead or just drop.
Edited by AtomicRaven

No news from donnybrook, I assume it's a forfeit.

Round 2 start officially today and you have two weeks.

The rom for the semi and the final is in the first post.

Some change for the semi and the finale: we will just focus on the emulator difference and not the playoff mode anymore.

Playing in playoffs seven mode is confusing, and our goal is just to compare Fusion and Gens.

So just play your games in Exhibition mode. The rom is the Classic rom + the Goalie Hack and a new name.

Good luck everybody

Aqua -- I'll be around tomorrow and the rest of the week to play one evening. Catch you then.

Ok, noted.

I am confident we will hookup without a big effort. If we don't organically in next several days we can set a day/time.

• 2 weeks later...