NHL'94 Forums

Thoughts after one week of editing

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. The postproduction team and I have finished the 1st week of editing (next editing week starts tomorrow).

We focused this first week on cutting and piecing the segments with the NHL players. It's a lot funnier than I expected!

We also started cutting the interviews with a couple of the programmers. It's going to be tougher than I thought to keep what they are saying interesting but we are working on ideas to keep the story following and also dropping in easter eggs for the hardcore fans. That being said I will have full uncut interviews with the designers in the DVD/Itunes Extras so you guys can hear what they have to say. I don't want that stuff to go to waste. (I probably have 5 hours of NHL '94 designer interviews and I'm going to use about 5-10 mins lol).

By the end of next week, I hope to start going through the interviews I have filmed with some of you guys! I have been breezing through them over the weekend and they look great.

Cheers,

Mikey

• Sad 1

We also started cutting the interviews with a couple of the programmers. It's going to be tougher than I thought to keep what they are saying interesting... That being said I will have full uncut interviews with the designers in the DVD/Itunes Extras so you guys can hear what they have to say. I don't want that stuff to go to waste. (I probably have 5 hours of NHL '94 designer interviews and I'm going to use about 5-10 mins lol).

You make the movie as you see fit, Mikey! :) (Gawd knows you can never please everyone in every way; in anything, really.)

I will say I personally have no interest at all in what NHLers have to say, but am very interested in what the programmers and designers have to say. But I am a hardcore fan, and probably not your target audience. But...

Specifically, in the DVD extras, will you have the entirety of the Jim Simmons interview? (I am interested in all the guys that helped develop this game, but as you know, I think Mr.Simmons is the main dude.)

Thanks, man! Love that this is happening and thanks for the update!

Specifically, in the DVD extras, will you have the entirety of the Jim Simmons interview? (I am interested in all the guys that helped develop this game, but as you know, I think Mr.Simmons is the main dude.)

Yes there is an Hour with Jim Simmons :)

We missed you this weekend Mikey McB, but we're glad you watched some of the stream.

Is your plan to do a first cut for what you want.....then re-cut to time for TV?

We missed you this weekend Mikey McB, but we're glad you watched some of the stream.

Is your plan to do a first cut for what you want.....then re-cut to time for TV?

I wish I was there. It sucks missing these events! The stream was very good and the final few games where awesome!

It's looking like I will make a TV cut to unlock some funding. But the version that will be streaming will be 90 mins.

Thanks for sharing the progress Mikey - looking forward to this!

Hey Evan!

We edited and logged your interview today, I'm working on something cool to tie in your #1 fan from upstate New York. If it doesn't fit into the movie ill have the segment for online content for sure.

Glad to hear you guys are moving along! I'm excited. Time to start an IMDB page for myself

On second thought, just cut out my whole interview. I was horrible

Chaos you were great bud! Your interview looks and sounds amazing. I'm trying to figure a way to get your "Black and White" SNES story into the film... maybe animation along with some other peoples cool stories as well

Oh you also commented on the weight bug using "Fleury vs McSorley" so that's making it in for sure

Edited by McMikey

Good to hear the progress.

I think you are on the right track catering to the general population to enjoy it be seeing NHL players etc. Will you be able to put in the swingers scene? That seems to cement NHL 16 Bit in pop culture.

You'll just have to do a directors cut for us uber nerds...

You'll just have to do a directors cut for us.

Good to hear the progress.

I think you are on the right track catering to the general population to enjoy it be seeing NHL players etc. Will you be able to put in the swingers scene? That seems to cement NHL 16 Bit in pop culture.

You'll just have to do a directors cut for us uber nerds...

Hey Segathon,

I'm trying to get the swingers scene, it will be up me to raise enough cash $$$$

it's not worth it -- spend that money elsewhere. that was an absolutely terrible scene in a somehow worse movie.

That scene perfectly captured (for the first time ever!) guys playing sports video games together during the infancy of this era. Nothing else like it at the time, and it holds true to this day. The unpausing of the game when your friend goes away, fighting with each other, constantly saying how that was "bullshit" (I still do this NOW).....it is PERFECT in it's execution. It's iconic. I challenge you to find me a better scene that effectively captures this dynamic. You won't find one...and definitely not one from the 90's.

Unpausing the game to make Gretzky bleed out... that's a worthy rumble. It's something I could have seen myself doing all day.

Love the line, "I am unbelievable" by Vince when his bud's calling him out for actually arguing a point, and he twists it on him to agree his game is great/unbelievable.

Those kind of live action games are the ones I remember having with my buds, taunting each other with "Practice while I'm gone stuff".

Yeah that scene -- or part of it -- SHOULD be in any doc on NHL94.

Mikey, have you tried asking permission to use it, from whoever owns the rights?

Also, maybe "Fair Use" would allow you to use a snippet? (I just googled and read a bit about it and it is much murkier than I thought. Also I thought documentaries had special Fair Use considerations, but it doesn't look like that is the case.) :(

Yeah that scene -- or part of it -- SHOULD be in any doc on NHL94.

Mikey, have you tried asking permission to use it, from whoever owns the rights?

Also, maybe "Fair Use" would allow you to use a snippet? (I just googled and read a bit about it and it is much murkier than I thought. Also I thought documentaries had special Fair Use considerations, but it doesn't look like that is the case.) :(

Fair Use in Canada is a lot harder to get away with than in the US.

Miramax owns the rights... so it may be a little expensive. But I do have some ideas