NHL'94 Forums

New League with Offside On, Sign up !

Hey everybody !

We are close to the end of the Classic, GDL and VHL season, that means plenty of free time.

Perfect moment to present you the new LHL : The Laboratory Hockey League (I'm not sure for the name maybe DHL : Development Hockey League sounds better, what do you think ? )

I have multiple project for the future and for the NHL'94 players who are interested. I will start with this new league who has just one goal, testing new rules and new ways to play.

The rules and the details of the rom in use can be discuss by all the members of the league and can be subject to a vote.

Some are the basis and can't be change. (In Green)

Rules :

• Rom : NHL'94 Genesis (we all know this rom perfectly, that's why we will use it to test the new ideas and compare the game-play). For the future we can change and have new rosters edited for every season, 91, 92, 93 etc... (depending when we decide to start) I just want to start the first season with the 94 rosters to test the concept of the League .
  • Hacks : Weight Bug Fix, CB Check Fix, Goalie Button, Speed Burst to 75% + other hacks (listed later)
  • Period : 7mn with the Offside On, we need more time to play and develop strategy (real 20mn time divided by 3 rounded up)
  • Penalty On 40 second penalty (real time divided by 3)
  • Offside On
  • Line Change Off (Offside On is already a major change, so for the first season I propose No Line Change, we will see in the future, one step after another)
  • Goalie On

Emulator : Gens, Kega Fusion if necessary (If problem with Gens and with the accord of the two players)

Team selection : Best coaches can select the best Teams (like in real life). The order of selection is define by the rank of the coaches who enter in the League.

I will certainly use, for the first season, this order: EXP Ranking (final update and correction to the formula after the end of Fall Classic 2016, GDL XVI and VHL 3) For the future I would try to develop an ELO concept.

No draft : we have already many leagues with draft, and I want to focus on the team selection season after season. In this League, your goal as a coach is to progress in the EXP or ELO table, to select a better, or your preferred team season after season. (According that we can replay all the 90's and more, this could be very interesting) Play with your favorite Team, try to win the Cup and build a Dynasty.

There are special rules to assure you to keep your team after the season : Winning the Division, the Conference Tittle or the Cup, allow you to keep your team at the end of the season, even if a better coach on the ranking table wants your Team.

Two ways to enter as a coach :

• Regular Coach : You want to play all the season and are available for it. New Regular Coaches can enter in the league at any moment of the season depending on the free Teams available. (Maximum 26 regular Coaches)
  • Independent Coach : You want to try the League, or are not sure you have enough free time, or you just wanna play when you have time. (A Regular Coach can be placed on the Independent Coaches list at any moment of the season on a simple demand without any penalty). Independent Coaches play with the Independents Teams who don't have Regular Coaches. New Independents Coaches can enter in the league at any moment of the season and can play if free Teams are available. (As the Independent Coaches can play when they want, there is no limit for the number of subscription) An Independent Coach has no specific assigned team, he just play some game in the calendar who need to be played.

At the end of the season, if some Independent Teams are qualified for the Playoffs, the best Independent Coaches will be invited to play them.

Team available 26 ( That doesn't mean we will use all of them. If we can have a 26 teams League this would be great, actually, the real number would be the number of Regular Coaches + 1 Teams for 3 Independent Coaches.

Calendar : 1 home and away for the regular season, Best of 7 for the Playoffs. (I'm open to play a real 84 games season if coaches are motivated)

There will be checkpoints for Regular Coaches, the first is a warning, the second place you on the Independents Coaches list, and on the bottom list for next season Team Draft, if you want to be again a Regular Coach.

Special : at the middle of the season, there will be an All Stars game 2v2 between the 2 best Regular Coaches from each Conference.

Start of the League : when we are ready ! :) (Next December or January or later if we don't have a minimum Regular Coaches, let say 10)

Regular Coaches :

1. Pearate
  2. Chefsuperstar88

Independent Coaches :

1. JackVandal
  2. Crackawhat
Edited by Pearate

League idea is nice, it's a great idea to implement ELO type of thing to it etc. I just think it might have a low interest at the very moment due to GDL running so long without breaks etc. J&J was also planning on a weight bug fixed league and got 6 players signing up for that, it might be a good idea to collaborate with him since there might be shared interests. Another league that is kicking up is in a totally different direction by Plabax, which offers a test of minimizing the variance of luck in the game. There has been so far 11 or 12 players signing up for that, so overall interest in new leagues has been low, but I think there's some call for a smaller leagues for some time now. Next Classic starts somewhere around february/march and GDL who knows, propably somewhere around that time table too. It does let many players rest and gather their interest again towards the game by not having the sensation of being forced to play due to overcommitments (propably not really overcommitment, but just having the sensation of commitment for so long). This is my speculation of the overall situation of the site as of late.

Offsides make the game slower, it encourages the importance of passing in my mind. Slow passes to fast players going for breakaways tend to result in offsides. Line changes would also slow the game down a bit as endurance comes in to play. This is the setup we used in Finnish leagues 01-07. The game is the same, but it's a quite different approach from arcade to a more chess type of gaming. I like both.

I just wanted to write this because I think the idea for the league is good but it's a rough timing right now, so if there are not much participants it's not the idea behind the league or any specific player running it. If J&J is still planning on his league, maybe approaching him with this could be a good idea, just my two cents.

Edited by Depch

Offsides make the game slower, it encourages the importance of passing in my mind. Slow passes to fast players going for breakaways tend to result in offsides. Line changes would also slow the game down a bit as endurance comes in to play. This is the setup we used in Finnish leagues 01-07. The game is the same, but it's a quite different approach from arcade to a more chess type of gaming. I like both.

Thx Depch for the response.

Yes, that's why I want to play this way, But for the first season, No line Change.

Maybe the timing is not good for the start, I can wait. But I can't imagine no one would be interested in this League.

There is more than 200 people registered on nhl94.com and some of theme love to play with Offside.

So if I am logic, I can say that the regular visitors from the forum are busy in other leagues or not interested.

That doesn't mean other members are not interested.

How can I send a collective invitation to the other members ?

This should be an automatic option when someone propose a new league.

Edited by Pearate

I'll give this a go as an independent coach, but am I missing something or will the teams be massively unbalanced? You can't have the redwings facing the panthers, that will be a slaughterfest. Also, 26 teams kind of high, unless will there be an A and B league?

I'll give this a go as an independent coach, but am I missing something or will the teams be massively unbalanced? You can't have the redwings facing the panthers, that will be a slaughterfest. Also, 26 teams kind of high, unless will there be an A and B league?

Welcome !

Unbalanced ? In a certain way, yes. But all the Teams have played the real 93-94 NHL season, no ? Why can't we do the same ?

Personally I would love to play San Jose or Anaheim, even the Panthers. I know I can't win the Cup, but just qualifying the team in the Playoffs would be a feat ! Or having a Win against Chicago or Detroit would be something !

This league is based on an evolution, and season after season you need to progress in the Elo rank, to have the possibility to play a better, or your preferred Team. So it is in the real life. You need to prove you can do something with a medium, or a low team, before playing a better.

If we can have a 26 teams League this would be great, actually, the real number would be the number of Regular Coaches + 1 Teams for 3 Independent coaches.

Edited by Pearate