NHL'94 Forums

Thoughts on "Feel" of Plablegs ROM

aqualizard

I notice lot of people commenting in AIM about the feel and different gameplay of the new ROM. But AIM is fleeting, and I am sure I miss half the comments because I am not around at the time.

The ROM definitely feels faster to me. Not sure if it is just because of few whistles (no PIMS)? Or maybe less delay because of few line change options? Or if it is because everyone has an allstar team, so there are more fast guys on ice at the same time? (I had thought I saw that Plabax moidified the ROM somehow to speed things up frame-wise, but can't find that info anymore, so maybe I misinterpreted something?)

Favorite thing so far: knocking out a dude WITHOUT GETTING A PENALTY! Love it! Finally a reward for a good hit. Makes me think of Scott Stevens laying out Eric Lindros back in the day.

Also, I do feel like scoring will be down, or it has been in the games I have seen. My guess is this is because the PIMs are off, so no power plays and especially no penalty shots. As well as the goalie boost. So despite having better talent, the bump in offense is offset by no PIMs and better goalies.

What have you guys noticed?

Game is a notch faster because of no hot/cold. Players in general were a bit more cold on average apparently than hot. Also fewer teams to draft vs GDL & fewer players required by a team gives more abundance to create a great team. I am sensing the same thing with interceptions as it's harder to get the puck through traffic now. I like how it seems to give a boost to defensive structure as well and players behave the same way always now.

There are more posts with static. I am completely fine with this as they were too few in default and it's just a nicer variaton of occasional missed shots, at least for now.

Other than that I have been speculating a lot about momentum in AIM chat, but this I have no different feel on about. It exists in the game in Classic & GDL as the same. But as a league to minimize random things I've just been pondering what creates and affects to it and could it's effect be removed/minimized.

Reasons I see it "playing different":

#1 At a MINIMUM, most games have 3 penalties between the two sides. Some coach combinations can lead to 5-6 penalties a game on average, but for most coaches, 3 penalties a game works. 2 minutes a penalty equals 6 minutes of penalties.

6 minutes out of 15 minutes is either short handed or power play.

That's 40% of the game, not taking into account if you give up the goal to end the penalty, was previously played with one team at a handicap and their AI retreating instead of trying to score.
THAT IS A MASSIVE PERCENTAGE of the game previously played under a different AI setting. The game clearly should feel different regardless of anything else.

#2 17 teams were used for this league that had previously had 24 teams drafting. So, in this ROM, the teams will be better overall. Better players either are lighter, more agile or have better awareness or they WOULD NOT be better and therefore, not drafted in a condensed league. THIS means that OVERALL, the ROM should have players moving faster because the actual average player is faster/more agile/lighter in a condensed league. The DEFENSE is definitely faster overall. This effects how quickly the puck needs to be moved around to prevent the defense from getting it from you.

#3 There are 7 goalies NOT drafted that were previously used in GDL's 24 goalie list, and the goalies where given a +1 to agility, and a quicker trigger to get the goalie control. This leads to the defense being able to wait LONGER before switching to manual control. WHILE not in manual, that means you are able to check more to recover the puck. The slowest a defense can be is WHEN you have control of the goalie. So, more defensive players checking leads to more puck exchange/turnovers. This translates into "faster" tempo for most coaches, not ALL, but most coaches. The beefed up goalies means teams being more aggressive on defense, imo. It's what I've seen so far, but again, this is to most coaches, not ALL.

#4 Longer stretches without game stoppage means the actual GAME TIME is faster. Instead of 10-12 minutes a game, I think it's closer to 7 minutes a game. Also, the longer you go in a game without a game stoppage, the more the actual game play can start to change. It's just human nature to reset your mind during a stoppage and "chase" less once play resumes. The exi's I have played so far have had a LOT more chasing, back & forth, up & down ice than normal. This might change come start of the season when coaches get more disciplined or perhaps more adjusted to less game pauses.

The combination of the these factors leads most coaches to feeling the game is faster. I'm not 100% sold it is THAT much "faster". But, public perception on AIM is definitely that it's playing faster.

Coaches don't seem to be changing their lineups nearly as much after being scored on. This momentum killer gets very tiresome and it's nice to not see it 5 or 6 times a game.

Unless your playing the clown!

Unless your playing the clown!

WRONG. Pims are the reason for 75% of my line changes, hot/cold (in classic mostly) another 20% and 5% just to shake things up. You'll see I'll hardly ever change in this league. You need to change your internet provider, your connection is an abomination.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I criticized those who said that this rom feels different. In the past some guys have made s**t up about a previous static rom (couple years ago) that was perfect, so they deserved some heat for it. However, I've played static roms (with no pims and quicker access to goalie GC) this past year and never noticed any difference in the feel of the players But tonight, for the first time, I tried out this Plablegs rom vs the computer (haven't exi'd anyone at all so far). And wow, it feels boosted to me in terms of the skating. I noticed it immediately. I think I'm a good judge of how players play normally and on static, because I use many of the same players every season. This rom feels like every player got a skating boost (speed and agility). I noticed no difference in any other attributes. Now maybe it's my computer being goofy, but for now, my perception is that this rom IS different from the static roms I've played in the past (at least when I play the CPU). I wonder if the boost in goalie agility/speed somehow carried over onto the skaters. I don't know. I'll have to test it out vs a human and report back my take on it because it isn't the same as playing the CPC. Sometimes 94 speeds up and comes back to normal when I'm playing vs CPU. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll get an exi in and see what it's like.

All is legit, the rom is not defective, ignore the above.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I criticized those who said that this rom feels different. In the past some guys have made s**t up about a previous static rom (couple years ago) that was perfect, so they deserved some heat for it. However, I've played static roms (with no pims and quicker access to goalie GC) this past year and never noticed any difference in the feel of the players But tonight, for the first time, I tried out this Plablegs rom vs the computer (haven't exi'd anyone at all so far). And wow, it feels boosted to me in terms of the skating. I noticed it immediately. I think I'm a good judge of how players play normally and on static, because I use many of the same players every season. This rom feels like every player got a skating boost (speed and agility). I noticed no difference in any other attributes. Now maybe it's my computer being goofy, but for now, my perception is that this rom IS different from the static roms I've played in the past (at least when I play the CPU). I wonder if the boost in goalie agility/speed somehow carried over onto the skaters. I don't know. I'll have to test it out vs a human and report back my take on it because it isn't the same as playing the CPC. Sometimes 94 speeds up and comes back to normal when I'm playing vs CPU. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll get an exi in and see what it's like.

For all your crack head type line changes, and goofy theories, you do study the screen a ton, and your "feel" for the speed of the game is probably top shelf. SO, I point your belief in this as more evidence to what I'm seeing.

That said, I know that goalie rating boosts are done in Nose, so there is no carry over to other players. The goalie switch button is a line of code unrelated to player attributes. The faster feel to this ROM is directly related to the players we are using.

The previous ROM's that were static were ONE of these TWO, and I played both as well.

We experimented w/ static on GDL for one of the ROM's and we had a Classic static ROM. I don't remember what type of ROM we used for non-penalties, static in the past, but I want to say I think it was just Classic.

I've exi'd Seth a 1000 times, and he NEVER takes the best teams in Classic, nor is his teams ever stacked with the "best" overall players/skaters. He goes for a feel/fit. This is relevant because in THIS ROM, his team is stacked compared to normal teams he would use, and he SHOULD feel this is a faster ROM.

Gartner, Esa, Juneau for forwards to go with Burt & Wilson. Skaters are 5/5 weight 7, 5/5 weight 9, 4/4 weight 5 & 3/4, 3/4 weight 7's. This team can skate!

My team is Bure, Bradley, G. Courtnall, Ray & Kasatonov. 6/5 weight 5, 3/4 weight 4, 5/5 weight 7, 4/5 weight 11, 3/4 weight 11.

That's another team with a lot of speed.

Whenever you play Vancouver in Classic, the game feels faster, cause that team is on crack. Now, REMOVE penalties (Game stoppages in essence) and play with Vancouver. You should feel like CRACK SQUARED, imo.

Same for this ROM. Better players overall has them reacting better where awareness is involved, and skating better up & down the ice to go along with no play stoppages to get your breath minus when you score and the organ blares out some hyped up song, should leave you feeling the game is faster than Classic/GDL roms.

maybe u should stop smoking the crystal meth before playing the cpu ..for a guy that works with kids u have a pretty big drug problem clown! ....oh BTW ur internet connection suks clown balls

I had 2 injuries to forwards in one period within 2 minutes in a series of exis vs Brut. First Roenick went down and I was to put in Davydov to Otto-Davydov-Borchevsky, but instead I waited and checked who got in as the replacement by auto. Computer put there Otto-Smehlik-Borchevsky. I did manually change this to Otto-Davydov-Borchevsky, but I lost another center soon enough so I HAD to play Smehlik on offence -> Otto-Smehlik-Borchevsky! LOL. :D It was funny though.

Now it would be smarter for me to put in Coffey as the 3rd D-man in lines, so he'd be the automatic replacement. I then would put him on the lineup manually in edit lines before games. In the case of injury the computer would read the lines as they are set in rom and that would override my manual setup? For others who have only slow d-men this could be a big problem though.

I know this will happen very rarely, but it has a chance of skewing the game a bit if such a thing would happen.

The question is this.

Do we keep it as it is or

A ) Add a copy of each player of the same name to the roster. It doesn't matter because they're all static anyways. Afaik there is no problem of having the same name player twice on the roster. So there is no requirement for naming guys Jeremy Roenick & Jeremy Roenick2. There just should be a rule, that you cannot use the same guy twice on your lineup, just as an injury reserve so injuries play no part on the luck part of the game (this has been so far the main idea behind the league as well).

B ) Draft an extra round of players on forwards to avoid a case of having a d-man play instead of forward

C ) Something else?

Edited by Depch

I'm just going to leave it. I don't care if a defenseman is forced to play forward because of an injury or vice versa.

I am fine with this decision. But I must state again that I feel that this decision is controversial to the original idea you had behind the league of negating luck. I hope it is not because of ego to revise on possible mistake made in planning, or just lack of effort to take care of this.

I am just forced to create a lineup where I have Coffey as the 3rd d-man and must put him manually to the lineup then. This is what Ice should do as well to get Housley as forward in such situations.

All in all, it's a very rare situation, let's hope no one gets such a bad luck during league games.

cant we just add a couple more players to our rosters?

does this mean I can move Housely to C if I want if Hull gets knocked out?

Your 4th F will be the first replacement for any F knocked out. In the case of 2F being knocked out, your 3rd D will come in for that position.

Your 4th F will be the first replacement for any F knocked out. In the case of 2F being knocked out, your 3rd D will come in for that position.

It should be noted that the CURRENT preseason ROM is not set up with the lines edited to do this. The final ROM will have this based on what I'm reading.

I mention this only to not add further confusion when guys see their defender coming in on first injury like Depch did last night.

ALSO, the preseason ROM has all the players deleted. I don't know how easy it is to add players after doing that.

ALSO, I played Habs & Depch last night (albeit heavily intoxicated!), and Depch plays a much more passive style (not as blatant as Zepp or Dexpsu, but still, passive.

Habs team is much slower than most teams with Mario, Recchi & Makarov.

And, the "feel" of the ROM was normal, not that hyper style feel.

Later in the night, I played JV (and even further hammered), but the game play right away JUMPED into hyperdrive!

So, to me, this cements the theory that the play/feel of the ROM is based on the speed of the players & coach you are playing.

This is no problem, it is easy to do with running 2 Nose at the same time.

I was referring to the empty slot, and not knowing if you can add the copied player from the other Nose file onto a deleted slot.

I've only copied and pasted over other existing players and always had to make sure the player being copied over had a name that fit with the incoming player for byte size. I'm definitely not the "Nose master", which is why I mentioned I don't know if the blank spots created when Plabax deleted the old players can be copied onto or not.

I was referring to the empty slot, and not knowing if you can add the copied player from the other Nose file onto a deleted slot.

I've only copied and pasted over other existing players and always had to make sure the player being copied over had a name that fit with the incoming player for byte size. I'm definitely not the "Nose master", which is why I mentioned I don't know if the blank spots created when Plabax deleted the old players can be copied onto or not.

Step 1, In your target ROM in NOSE, go into the Team list window, and there is a button called "auto free bytes" that you need to click so that it's enabled. This allows you to add players easily, and also extend player names.

Step 2, go to the team you want to add a player to. Hit the big red + button, which adds an empty player.

Step 3, paste a player from the other NOSE.

Step 4, use the up/down arrows to move the player to the right spot.

Step 5, there's a dropdown list for specifying how many forward are on the team. Change the value if necessary.

Step 1, In your target ROM in NOSE, go into the Team list window, and there is a button called "auto free bytes" that you need to click so that it's enabled. This allows you to add players easily, and also extend player names.

Step 2, go to the team you want to add a player to. Hit the big red + button, which adds an empty player.

Step 3, paste a player from the other NOSE.

Step 4, use the up/down arrows to move the player to the right spot.

Step 5, there's a dropdown list for specifying how many forward are on the team. Change the value if necessary.

Thanks!

The 4th F will come in for the first injured forward. The 3rd D will come in for the first injured defenseman. Injuries should not have anyone play out of position in the scenario that the first two injuries are to different positions. If two injuries happen to the same position (F or D), the second bench player will play out of position if that injury is the second injury. After that, injuries should not have any effect. This is my understanding of how it works based on the fact that injuries don't have any effect when there are no other healthy players left in the lineup.

I have tried to remove injuries and I've been unable to do so. I don't like the idea of the duplicate players because what will happen is: Someone will by accident (or on purpose) end up playing with two of the same player simultaneously. I think having a player play out of position because there are literally no other players available makes more sense. Would I like to avoid it? Yes. Is there a way to completely remove injuries? As of now, no.

If you set the LINE UPs as Raph said to set them, THEN things will go as described. The current Plabs_preseason rom you made does NOT have this setup as Raph described, so when I knocked out Depch's center JR, his fat defender Smehlik came in to play center. He then had to pause the game, put Davydov at center instead. I then KNOCKED out Davydov and he was stuck w/ Smehlik as a forward.

I'm not sure if the game crashes if there is a 3rd injury or not, as we have not had that happen.

I have had several times where there were more than 3 injuries, but they were not all game enders, so by the time the 3rd injury occurred, one of the players had already returned from their injury.

I think if a 3rd injury happens, you end up being short a player.

There have been cases when I get some players with weird names and numbers. Like "Arena" 0 and guy is 99 ova or something. Not with this rom, but sometimes when I've tested players for drafts and my lines have been short of players.

I think if a 3rd injury happens, you end up being short a player.

And what is the result?

Game crash? Short one guy on ice (5 on 4)? Something else?

Edited by aqualizard

maybe u should stop smoking the crystal meth before playing the cpu ..for a guy that works with kids u have a pretty big drug problem clown! ....oh BTW ur internet connection suks clown balls

I have a new internet connection dude, it's a thing of beauty, like seeing you win KO94 then immediately lose all that prize $.