NHL'94 Forums

Prizes?

schwartz

Should there be prizes?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. AYYAYAYAYAYAY

• NO

Hey guys first off sorry for being a stranger around here lately but like a driver of a large white windowless van, I have been watching you guys and the site from the secrecy of the shadows for the past few weeks. :ph34r:.

I've been spending some time thinking about next season and any ways to make the league and community increase in awesomeness factor, and although I haven't talked to Evan about any of this yet, I wanted to see what you thought about the idea of adding some sort of prize(s) for first place or the top few spots in each respective division. Prizes are generally great things but I wan't to be careful about possibly throwing off the level of sportsmanship I've seen from pretty much every player I've bumped into; that is to say that sometimes its easier for some people to be more honest when there isn't a bit of money involved. So that is why I come to you, the nhl94online community, with this question: should we consider the possibility of adding prizes in the upcoming seasons?

As far as the prizes themselves go I have a few ideas (esp. for the SNES division) including neat stuff like complete in box copies of nhl94, snes multitaps, wireless controllers, snes to usb smartjoy adapters, misc signed hockey merch etc. I think it would be best to offer the prizes as different items rather than straight money, although if there is a response for that its always an interesting idea.

I think we also have a few differnet options when it comes to putting together some money or a collection of prizes themselves. I'd dig into the bank account for this one I give you that promise. We could also possibly add some sort of paypal link on the website where people can donate a few bucks here and there. Finally [and maybe unlikely but still something I'd try] is to contact companies like EA and see if there's anything they could contribute. I don't think EA is exactly well known for doing that sort of thing but we are awesome and if EA can appreciate how awesome we are you never know B)

So there you have it boys; bad idea or good I'm not entirely sure but if nothing else I'll at least get the excitement that comes with seeing replies in my thread and reading them throughout the work day

:)

EDIT: I should mention too that these prizes would be seperate from the customized stanley cups sent out to the champions in both divisions :)

Some cool ideas Schwartz!

Personally I find that the thrill of the competition and the fun times involved, just playing for pride basically, is enough of a rush for me............. if I was to win some sort of tangible prize, I guess that's cool too, but for me I'm really fine the way things are.

The only prize that's totally NECESSARY in my opinion is the customized Stanley Cups for the champions of each league.......... which I think is the absolute coolest idea ever.............. even cooler than the idea of girls taking their clothes off for money.

The only prize that's totally NECESSARY in my opinion is the customized Stanley Cups for the champions of each league.......... which I think is the absolute coolest idea ever.............. even cooler than the idea of girls taking their clothes off for money.

Yeah unless you have someone who does it for free for you.... :):ph34r:

Some cool ideas Schwartz!

Personally I find that the thrill of the competition and the fun times involved, just playing for pride basically, is enough of a rush for me............. if I was to win some sort of tangible prize, I guess that's cool too, but for me I'm really fine the way things are.

Deer... you know where I live if you wanna see someone get nekid.

rudy

Hoo boy, this thread heated up in a hurry................. Rudy I might take you up on that............. always wondered if the carpet matched the drapes ya know .................... bow chicka wow wow. :)

Hoo boy, this thread heated up in a hurry................. Rudy I might take you up on that............. always wondered if the carpet matched the drapes ya know .................... bow chicka wow wow. B)

Who ever said there was carpet :D

Ok my time to chime in!!!

Obviously playin for money is my preference.

An entry fee into the league is a great idea, first off it would probably make players more commited to

playin games & not skippin out come playoff time.

The problem is its not easy to collect money from people on the internet. Its easy for online poker sites and all that, but

probably wouldn't be easy for the site owners to set that up.

As far as contacting EA.... maybe you could put some EA advertising on the site... they might give you a few copies

of the next NHL game for X-box or whatever. You would probably have to work at getting hold of a higher level guy.

Maybe you could tell them how NHL94 is amazing and every NHL since then is crap. Everyone at EA should all

be fired. They should hire some of us here to help them make a good hockey game again.

Heck maybe we could test there new versions.

Personally I'd like to see a $20 entry fee or at least $10.... not much for such a long season... I wouldn't mind

if the league organizers pocketed some for the work they put in.

On top of all that, I could start a book and set some lines so people could bet on games throughout the season.

I think I could get a quick handle on the handicapping of a hockey videogame. (ok too much)

Why is everything about money money money??

What ever happened to just playing for fun and bragging rights?

In my opinion, you add money, you're asking for disaster.

People get way too upset and competitive and cheat, its ugly.

I mean, money between a few friends in a pool or whatever is fun, but this is a video game, its just to have a good time. I'm sure Even put all this time into this site because he likes to play the game as most of us do. From my impressions of the league, I don't really think money would add anything by way of competitiveness or comradery and was probably not what the commissioner had in mind when he started the league. The league operates perfectly with people from all over North America coming together to play a 12 year old game that we all enjoyed in our youth.

Leave it at that!

(feel free to go back to the gay-a-thon that hijacked this thread)

Why is everything about money money money??

What ever happened to just playing for fun and bragging rights?

In my opinion, you add money, you're asking for disaster.

People get way too upset and competitive and cheat, its ugly.

I mean, money between a few friends in a pool or whatever is fun, but this is a video game, its just to have a good time. I'm sure Even put all this time into this site because he likes to play the game as most of us do. From my impressions of the league, I don't really think money would add anything by way of competitiveness or comradery and was probably not what the commissioner had in mind when he started the league. The league operates perfectly with people from all over North America coming together to play a 12 year old game that we all enjoyed in our youth.

Leave it at that!

(feel free to go back to the gay-a-thon that hijacked this thread)

I sense someone is a bit too much into the World Series of Poker. This person should seek counseling on the habituals of gambling.

I would totally not play if I had to pay money to enter.

Not that I'm cheap, but I also don't like the idea of money, not because I mind parting with it (trust me I part with it far too easily lol), but because I can't see anything good coming of it in terms of the actual play in the league. Some guys would start getting too competitive and serious and stuff, and I think that the level of fun and competition is fine the way it is. I agree with pretty much everything Roccopan said- this game is best enjoyed when it's played just for pride......... and maybe a replica Stanley Cup. :D

All of that said, nothing at all wrong with pokrchamp's enthusiasm, looks like you'll be a solid addition to the league next season man! B)

Not that I'm cheap, but I also don't like the idea of money, not because I mind parting with it (trust me I part with it far too easily lol), but because I can't see anything good coming of it in terms of the actual play in the league. Some guys would start getting too competitive and serious and stuff, and I think that the level of fun and competition is fine the way it is. I agree with pretty much everything Roccopan said- this game is best enjoyed when it's played just for pride......... and maybe a replica Stanley Cup. :D

All of that said, nothing at all wrong with pokrchamp's enthusiasm, looks like you'll be a solid addition to the league next season man! B)

i agree i dont think we should play for money, me and the boys have been playin for "the belt" for a few years now and the feeling of actually winning something material and the symbolic significance behind it is priceless

keep things the way they are, the cup is a great idea, i think have enough room on it so the winner can sign there name and if i lose it next season then the next person would sign their name :P

money or not I'm here to win the cup next season. I've been a hometown hero at this game & am looking

forward to playin a more challenging field.

But I disagree with the money aspect ruining the league. For 1 it would prevent people just signing up

for the hell of it & then quiting. Should make the league run better overall. People will meet deadlines

if theres a chance of some kinda prize.

In terms of cheating were not talking about a $100 entry fee..... were talkin about 10, maybe $20.

This amount over a whole season & playoffs. You really think people will get upset over losing $10

for like a 3month season?

But whatever the masses want is fine with me.

Personnally I'd just like to see a league of commited players were it doesn't take 2 weeks to play

1 playoff series that probably takes 2hrs. Is an entry fee the answer.... perhaps not.

I'd also like to add that some gamblers win... and win big.

So believe me I don't need counselling.

money or not I'm here to win the cup next season. I've been a hometown hero at this game & am looking

forward to playin a more challenging field.

But I disagree with the money aspect ruining the league. For 1 it would prevent people just signing up

for the hell of it & then quiting. Should make the league run better overall. People will meet deadlines

if theres a chance of some kinda prize.

In terms of cheating were not talking about a $100 entry fee..... were talkin about 10, maybe $20.

This amount over a whole season & playoffs. You really think people will get upset over losing $10

for like a 3month season?

But whatever the masses want is fine with me.

Personnally I'd just like to see a league of commited players were it doesn't take 2 weeks to play

1 playoff series that probably takes 2hrs. Is an entry fee the answer.... perhaps not.

I'd also like to add that some gamblers win... and win big.

So believe me I don't need counselling.

If you want to foot my 10 dollar entry fee, then I am all for it. However, I think it is evident that adding the money element would prevent a lot of people from signing up in the first place, which hampers the excellent growth of this community, and it also can be a deterant for good sportsmanship, a la win at all costs.

It is great though to kick around new ideas. The league is great as is, but there is no reason it couldn't get even better.

If you want to foot my 10 dollar entry fee, then I am all for it. However, I think it is evident that adding the money element would prevent a lot of people from signing up in the first place, which hampers the excellent growth of this community, and it also can be a deterant for good sportsmanship, a la win at all costs.

It is great though to kick around new ideas. The league is great as is, but there is no reason it couldn't get even better.

Ya, I think the growth of the community is what we're going towards.

As much as I was against the poker guys idea of a monetary prize, I did like his point about motivating people to complete their games and not just signup and walk away so easily. I wish there was a way outside of a registration fee (refundable or not) that would get people to actually play their games.

It a tough balance between taking a chance by allowoing new commers and growing the community with people who ACTUALLY want to stick around and play. I think the A/B league idea is certainly helpful in keeping people from being discouraged and walking away when they're faced up against powerhouses like Tickness and kgman. Its great that people are talking and throwing around ideas and that Even actually takes them all into consideration when deciding whats best for the league.

I THINK THE PRIZE SHOULD BE A FREE NHL94 T-SHIRT WITH THE LOGO ON IT SAYING SOMETHING LIKE 2006 CHAMP OR 2007 CHAMP. I WOULD WEAR IT OUTSIDE THE HOUSE OHH YAAA. and make it 2 prizes for 1st and 2nd . k gg. no money involved.