NHL'94 Forums

2016 NHL'94 Bud of the Year!

halifax

The Bud of the Year award this goes to Angryjay!

The most travelled bud on NHL'94. This year he's left California to compete in Saskatoon, New York, Wisconsin and Saskatoon again. He won every Genesis tournament in 2016, suffering only one loss in all tournaments combined. He also placed second twice in Saskatoon in both SNES tournaments. He may have very well cemented himself as the best dual console player today. The level of dedication to compete in all those is nothing less than remarkable. Congrats to you bud!

Additional buds who should be recognized.

Naples39 - created the nhl17 rom and had 360+ downloads!

Skip and Slapshot67 - also created an nhl17 rom and had 320+ downloads!

Brutus - ran a couple seasons of GDL and created some fantastic lottery draft videos!

Chaos - continues to keep the nhl94online.com site going with updates and ensuring leagues are set up.

McMikey - continues to work on the documentary and promoting nhl94

Trojan - new to the community, organized the king of 94 tournament in Wisconsin and continues to promote nhl94 with live streaming of games.

Previous Winners

2009 - Smozoma

2010 - Smozoma

2011 - Smozoma and NHL94Dan

2012 - Smozoma and Dadonch44

2013 - Kingraph

2014 - Chaos

2015 - McMikey

Awesome Choice!

I also want to add that he has driven 100 miles over 8000 foot Sierra Nevada Mountain passes in the snow to play in my Live

Retrothon tourneys three times.

He always uses Tampa, Ottawa, and San Jose to keep things interesting playing against inferior competition.

Great Guy! Humble. Kind. Talented.

Edited by CoachMac

Congrats AJ - a fine choice! True dedication in attending every '94 live event. Excellent all around player as well.

Congrats AJ.

But my vote goes to Brutus. He ran an incredibly tumultous GDL season, with loads of drama and babysitting. He handled various conflicts and resolved them. He made about 12 replacements for coaches who couldn't keep their committment, all the while keeping the balance and integrity of the league in tact. The draft alone was lengthy and took a ton of work and constant monitoring. GDL was a struggle and he kept it alive. I know the live tournaments are all the rage these days as they are fun as s**t, but the core of this site lives online and GDL is the golden child. If it fails, there would be long-lasting negative effects IMO. Brutus steered the ship and kept it afloat.

My other vote goes to the infamous and polarizing Plabax. He won his 3rd GDL title, which no one has ever done. In addition to that (and more important to a lot of us), he has created and is running a new draft league called "Plablegs". It incorporates all of the rules many of us have been asking for (forever), with no penalties, static ratings, fewer coaches and hence more talented players to draft from. There no slackers, harsher penalties for missing deadlines and incentives to make them. He tweaked the goalie ratings to make it a more even playing field and put in quicker access to goalie control. Furthermore, he created the fix that allows penalties to be off but B-check still enabled. This has revitalized a base of 94'ers on here that were demanding something different.

Shoutout to Raph too, for all the stats and graphics work he does for the roms and leagues.

But where is our Christmas video from Brute this year? The boys are lost without it.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Congrats AJ.

But my vote goes to Brutus. He ran an incredibly tumultous GDL season, with loads of drama and babysitting. He handled various conflicts and resolved them. He made about 12 replacements for coaches who couldn't keep their committment, all the while keeping the balance and integrity of the league in tact. The draft alone was lengthy and took a ton of work and constant monitoring. GDL was a struggle and he kept it alive. I know the live tournaments are all the rage these days as they are fun as s**t, but the core of this site lives online and GDL is the golden child. If it fails, there would be long-lasting negative effects IMO. Brutus steered the ship and kept it afloat.

My other vote goes to the infamous and polarizing Plabax. He won his 3rd GDL title, which no one has ever done. In addition to that (and more important to a lot of us), he has created and is running a new draft league called "Plablegs". It incorporates all of the rules many of us have been asking for (forever), with no penalties, static ratings, fewer coaches and hence more talented players to draft from. There no slackers, harsher penalties for missing deadlines and incentives to make them. He tweaked the goalie ratings to make it a more even playing field and put in quicker access to goalie control. Furthermore, he created the fix that allows penalties to be off but B-check still enabled. This has revitalized a base of 94'ers on here that were demanding something different.

Shoutout to Raph too, for all the stats and graphics work he does for the roms and leagues.

But where is our Christmas video from Brute this year? The boys are lost without it.

All good choices

Thank you Halifax bud, I'm deeply humbled by you awarding me bud of the year but I politely decline.

This has been an incredible time for me personally in the 94 world, especially when considering all the live events Ive been able to attend. It has been a pleasure to spend time with buds ranging from the creator of the site to the newst of buds, especially those in Green Bay as Trojan headlined an amazing group of new 94 players. I dont take it lightly that people have welcomed me in three different countries and at times have opened up their homes to me in order for me to attend tournaments, be a part of a documentary, or just to enjoy hanging out together.. I'm a very lucky individual and I really do hope to further the live scene to the best of my ability.

Unfortunately, I'm completely disenfranchised with the GENS online scene and I feel like my negativity towards it regardless of how composed it may (or may not be) is something that I dont think reflects well on the online community and its attempt to grow stronger.

I think we have many other buds who provide as much of a positive impact if not more to the community without the controversy that I can bring at times. All of the other buds that were also recognized along with so many others (including you Halifax!) I think are better candidates for such recognition.

I hope the NHL 94 live scene and online community grows bigger and stronger in 2017. May the GA be with you.

I stopped by AJ's house this morning.

Me: How goes it bud?

AJ: Good bud...what's going on?

Me: just brought this trophy over for your 'bud of the year' award.

AJ: Did you read my post earlier this morning?

Me: I did not read it yet.

AJ: well I wanted to say thanks but I'm politely declining this award.

Me: Oh.....well....I'm just going to leave it here anyways

AJ: Please take it with you.

Me: No can do bud...it's already here, so here you go.

And then this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXDfPRzuLAs&feature=youtu.be&t=1m11s

I'm shocked and humbled to be mentioned such a prestigious group.

Angryjay93 is just a stellar dude all around.  I let him stay in my house, and nobody got raped or stabbed, so he's got that going for him.  Couch is always open for ya buddy.

I honestly had a lot more fun playing Street Fighter because we were more evenly matched.  I look forward to further swapping of Tecmo Super Bowl and NHL 94 lessons with you.

How's February looking for you?  We are lining up the next date, hope to have it figured out soon.

Congrats again!

Trojan

On 1/3/2017 at 11:18 AM, King of 94' WI said:

We are lining up the next date, hope to have it figured out soon.

I am hoping you have another event in September, that (once again) lines up with a Packers home game?  Definitely makes it a bigger attraction to do the tourney and take in a game, too!  

so I've been holding this in for awhile but I'm drunk and i don't give f**k! first of all this community all the in fighting is so f**kin dumb were a bunch of guys playing a video game that we are passionate about....these deadlines are all a joke....who gives a f**k play when u can and say gg that's all we should be doing.... even if takes a little longer within reason no reason to have an animated discussion about it ....and the fact that AJ is the center of this is ironic ..  since gdl 4 when i had to forfeit my series to ice.     because our connection desynced  and I wanted to get some pussy... but who cares I proved I was the BEST in person and I will always be the best as long as I live! and to uncle seth u dumb pos f**k ... I didn't get robbed of my winnings just my my bud and nhl94 cartridge signed by u guys which I wanted because of sentimental value.   I kept the money in my pocket u stupid clown ... why the f**k would u be happy  about it anyway.. i would slap u person just like in the game live if we ever played u f**kin loser ...so the point I'm making is the state of nhl94 is pretty s**t and  guys who b***h about Internet connection and picture in saskatoo need to chill and embrace the game that brought us together thank u 

Edited by kgman
  • Like 3

I think posting a drunk rant requires not editing the post bud!!!

That's ILLEGAL on all drunk ranting rules :)

I do protest giving an award with the name of "BUD" & NHL'94 in it NOT somehow to KG if nothing in at least in likeness on the trophy! In a year that didn't have a King of '94 tourney though, giving it to the one guy who showed up at all the other tourney's &&& won them, AJ is a solid choice to give the award to regardless of his acceptance or not of it, or his disgruntled mood about the online forum.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2017 at 6:47 PM, aqualizard said:

I am hoping you have another event in September, that (once again) lines up with a Packers home game?  Definitely makes it a bigger attraction to do the tourney and take in a game, too!  

We are at the mercy of our venue's availability it seems.  My main guy who hooked me up at the last place isn't there anymore.  I was hoping to have something lined up for February, but I can't get them return communication timely.

I'm also concerned with hosting too close to the Toronto tournament this year, whichever month that falls on.  If they do November then September would be fine.

On 1/7/2017 at 4:11 AM, kgman said:

so I've been holding this in for awhile but I'm drunk and i don't give f**k! first of all this community all the in fighting is so f**kin dumb were a bunch of guys playing a video game that we are passionate about....these deadlines are all a joke....who gives a f**k play when u can and say gg that's all we should be doing.... even if takes a little longer within reason no reason to have an animated discussion about it ....and the fact that AJ is the center of this is ironic ..  since gdl 4 when i had to forfeit my series to ice.     because our connection desynced  and I wanted to get some pussy... but who cares I proved I was the BEST in person and I will always be the best as long as I live! and to uncle seth u dumb pos f**k ... I didn't get robbed of my winnings just my my bud and nhl94 cartridge signed by u guys which I wanted because of sentimental value.   I kept the money in my pocket u stupid clown ... why the f**k would u be happy  about it anyway.. i would slap u person just like in the game live if we ever played u f**kin loser ...so the point I'm making is the state of nhl94 is pretty s**t and  guys who b***h about Internet connection and picture in saskatoo need to chill and embrace the game that brought us together thank u 

First of all, congrats to AJ... he is an amazing player and ambassador to this game and community.

I came here to post a new thread today and stumbled across this one excited to comment to congratulate AJ.  However, after reading further, I didn't realize there was this level of negative sentiment running in the community lately.  As playing a lot of FPS and knowing how toxic other online communities are, I've always bragged about this community as supportive and positive to anyone that will listen.  While I haven't been around, I always enjoyed that I could come back here and see what the group I consider closest to "home" is up to.  

It's been a lot of the same faces consistently for over 10 years... that's pretty amazing and unique to itself.  How many relationships in your life can you say fall into that category? While I know we get under each other's skin from time to time and we've been around long enough to know exactly how to push each other's buttons, everyone here is in a very select and unique family.  It might not be the largest online community and it may not draw the most attention but everyone here is dedicated to one of the best games ever made and this is where that passion is shared.  This site has been created and maintained by people more dedicated than ourselves.  Out of respect to them and the continued pursuit to enjoy this game at its fullest, I hope that the fighting is simply competitive posturing and when push comes to shove, I hope we can all agree we have each other's back. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, IAmFleury'sHipCheck said:

First of all, congrats to AJ... he is an amazing player and ambassador to this game and community.

I came here to post a new thread today and stumbled across this one excited to comment to congratulate AJ.  However, after reading further, I didn't realize there was this level of negative sentiment running in the community lately.  As playing a lot of FPS and knowing how toxic other online communities are, I've always bragged about this community as supportive and positive to anyone that will listen.  While I haven't been around, I always enjoyed that I could come back here and see what the group I consider closest to "home" is up to.  

It's been a lot of the same faces consistently for over 10 years... that's pretty amazing and unique to itself.  How many relationships in your life can you say fall into that category? While I know we get under each other's skin from time to time and we've been around long enough to know exactly how to push each other's buttons, everyone here is in a very select and unique family.  It might not be the largest online community and it may not draw the most attention but everyone here is dedicated to one of the best games ever made and this is where that passion is shared.  This site has been created and maintained by people more dedicated than ourselves.  Out of respect to them and the continued pursuit to enjoy this game at its fullest, I hope that the fighting is simply competitive posturing and when push comes to shove, I hope we can all agree we have each other's back. 

Big thumbs up to this post.

• Like 1