NHL'94 Forums

Playoff mode issue

kraymondksc

Hey guys, I got a raspberry pi 3 for Christmas and decided to install RetroPie so that I could play some of my old favorites. The first game I played once setup was NHL 94. This game is just as much fun to play as when I was a kid. I was shocked to find that after all these years the game had such a passionate following. Anyways I've been getting some practice in and noticed that when playing in playoff mode, after winning the first game, I'm taken to the main menu where Anaheim is selected for both the home and visiting teams. When I click start, it randomly picks 2 different teams and starts the tournament over. Was just wondering if anyone else has seen this or not? I am using the NHL 94 rom from this site. Not sure if it's an emulator issue or not. 

• Like 1

Welcome! It sounds like there is a problem with it writing to SRAM... I have no idea how to fix it (I don't have retropie), but maybe that'll get you started fixing it. If not, hopefully someone else here has some experience with that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response smozoma. I took some time this weekend to look into the issue. I just wanted to respond with what worked for me in case anyone else experiences the same issue.  So the issue appears to be with the lr-picodrive emulator. It creates the .srm file but doesn't seem to read it. I switched RetroPie to use the lr-genesis-plus-gx emulator and saves are now working correctly. I haven't experienced any other issues with this emulator either.

• 6 years later...

I have the same problem with the playoffs from a rom, i see that the .srm file is not created... and there is no way to create it with any other emulator. Something prevents it. A curious detail is that despite this, it has a saved game, since it has the option "continue playoff" but when I enter it shows you a lost playoff, and it starts a non-existent match between two random teams managed by the cpu anyway lol