NHL'94 Forums

[Aug 12-13, 2017 - Long Island, NY] - Long Island Retro Gaming Expo

HEADS UP -- The 2017 Long Island Retro Gaming Expo dates have been set for August 12th and 13th.  There WILL be another NHL'94 tournament held there run by Evan, Chaos, and myself (and possibly other volunteers), but it's too early to have any more details at this time.  There's always the possibility of organizing some '94 community event on Friday the 11th as well if we get folks coming in for this. 

The location will be closer to the city than last year located at the Cradle Of Aviation Museum in Garden City -- https://www.cradleofaviation.org/

We know there will be a big KO94II event sometime in the fall, so this could be a good preparation tourney!

UPDATE with times and format: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/17901-aug-12-13-2017-long-island-ny-long-island-retro-gaming-expo/&do=findComment&comment=167927

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • smozoma pinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Update:  We are confirmed for a 2:00 pm start time on Saturday, August 12th.  

The tournament will be free, as part of your paid admission to the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo.  All you have to do is sign up for the expo, and register for our '94 tournament when you arrive.  Registration will end at 1:00.  

We will have a round robin format, and based on sign-ups, the rest of the details will be revealed that day.  You will definitely play at least 3 games, most likely 4 for the round robin, followed by a bracket elimination tournament.  

More info to come...but I encourage you to try and make it if you can, it's a great warm-up for Vegas!

2017 Poster 01.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, kingraph said:

Update:  We are confirmed for a 2:00 pm start time on Saturday, August 12th.  

The tournament will be free, as part of your paid admission to the Long Island Retro Gaming Expo.  All you have to do is sign up for the expo, and register for our '94 tournament when you arrive.  Registration will end at 1:00.  

We will have a round robin format, and based on sign-ups, the rest of the details will be revealed that day.  You will definitely play at least 3 games, most likely 4 for the round robin, followed by a bracket elimination tournament.  

More info to come...but I encourage you to try and make it if you can, it's a great warm-up for Vegas!

2017 Poster 01.png

I'm working Friday night into Saturday morning 6 AM, I want to take Saturday night off so I can make this, quick question IF I make this tourney any chance someone could register me?  As I might not get there till right around the 2 PM starting time (need to take a little power nap when I get home from work), and then can't guarantee the traffic heading into the Island will cooperate.

23 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I'm working Friday night into Saturday morning 6 AM, I want to take Saturday night off so I can make this, quick question IF I make this tourney any chance someone could register me?  As I might not get there till right around the 2 PM starting time (need to take a little power nap when I get home from work), and then can't guarantee the traffic heading into the Island will cooperate.

No problem, just text me during the day on your ETA and I'll make sure we have you in the tourney.  

46 minutes ago, kingraph said:

No problem, just text me during the day on your ETA and I'll make sure we have you in the tourney.  

Cool

5 hours ago, orangeblack92 said:

I know I've been around very sparingly on here in the past two years, but I decided to buy a ticket!

See you there!

Youve always been good at the signing up part, its just the showing up to play part that you struggle with

we shall see :D

On 7/12/2017 at 10:12 PM, TomKabs93 said:

Youve always been good at the signing up part, its just the showing up to play part that you struggle with

we shall see :D

When money is involved ($20 in this case) I don't just throw it away.

If there were some pay to play leagues here, I may have been a little more diligent and responsible.

Just a suggestion and being honest.

Apologies again about my lackadaisical personality.

1 hour ago, orangeblack92 said:

When money is involved ($20 in this case) I don't just throw it away.

If there were some pay to play leagues here, I may have been a little more diligent and responsible.

Just a suggestion and being honest.

Apologies again about my lackadaisical personality.

its cool man im just ball-busting

• 2 weeks later...

Here are 100 matchups (it's actually 50, doubled) that I plan to print on cards for this tournament (and others) for people to pick if they want to choose a quick random matchup vs. thinking about two teams.  I didn't include TB, SJS, ANH, FLA or OTT. 

Do any of these matchups seem unfair?  Thanks in advance for your time. 

CHI	DET
CHI	BUF
CHI	VAN
DET	CHI
DET	BUF
DET	VAN
DET	MTL
BUF	CHI
BUF	DET
BUF	VAN
BUF	MTL
VAN	CHI
VAN	DET
VAN	BUF
VAN	MTL
MTL	DET
MTL	BUF
MTL	VAN
MTL	BOS
BOS	MTL
BOS	CGY
BOS	DAL
BOS	WPG
BOS	LAK
CGY	BOS
CGY	DAL
CGY	WPG
CGY	LAK
DAL	BOS
DAL	CGY
DAL	WPG
DAL	LAK
WPG	BOS
WPG	CGY
WPG	DAL
WPG	LAK
LAK	BOS
LAK	CGY
LAK	DAL
LAK	WPG
LAK	TOR
TOR	LAK
TOR	QUE
TOR	NYR
TOR	EDM
TOR	STL
TOR	PHI
QUE	TOR
QUE	NYR
QUE	EDM
QUE	STL
QUE	PHI
NYR	TOR
NYR	QUE
NYR	EDM
NYR	STL
NYR	PHI
EDM	TOR
EDM	QUE
EDM	NYR
EDM	STL
EDM	PHI
STL	TOR
STL	QUE
STL	NYR
STL	EDM
STL	PHI
STL	PIT
STL	HFD
PHI	TOR
PHI	QUE
PHI	NYR
PHI	EDM
PHI	STL
PHI	PIT
PHI	HFD
PIT	STL
PIT	PHI
PIT	HFD
PIT	WSH
PIT	NJD
PIT	NYI
HFD	STL
HFD	PHI
HFD	PIT
HFD	WSH
HFD	NJD
HFD	NYI
WSH	PIT
WSH	HFD
WSH	NJD
WSH	NYI
NJD	PIT
NJD	HFD
NJD	WSH
NJD	NYI
NYI	PIT
NYI	HFD
NYI	WSH
NYI	NJD

Maybe PIT vs HFD and NJ? PIT is hard to rate, especially with the CB check.

Could WPG maybe get a couple tougher matchups?

I definitely defer to your opinion,  though, just a couple thoughts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smozoma said:

Maybe PIT vs HFD and NJ? PIT is hard to rate, especially with the CB check.

Could WPG maybe get a couple tougher matchups?

I definitely defer to your opinion,  though, just a couple thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback.   Yeah, PIT is a wonky team.  Weight bug kills them and they can be the ultimate fool's gold.  However, in the right hands they can be a real threat.  These cards are probably going to be used for the casual/general crowd, I'm sure any of the real '94 players will pick their own, or just pass on the matchup and choose another card.  

Either way, helpful to have another set of eyes on these matchups.  I will take another look at the PIT matchups. 

Nothing to contribute, but I really like this post.:D

AND, I will use this at our next Live Tourney.

Really good for guys who don't know the teams well.

TSB uses this.

Edited by CoachMac
  • Like 1

Cool concept about matchup cards. These would basically all be fine for noobs, but a few that stand out to me as arguably unfair are:

MTL DET (montreal has weak offense and detroit is just way too powerful. DET is an A+ team whereas MTL is a B team imo)

STL NYR (not trying to be biased here, but new york has a star center with decent wingers, that can speed by st louis' turtle speed players. The blues have brett hulls shot and nothing else)

EDM NYR (edmonton is terrible other than klima and ranford, with bad home/away advantages. Especially hard for noobs to have to use guys like craig simpson as wingers, plus those fatass defensemen)

HFD PHI (hartford has the lamest average joe fwds ever, they only stand a chance if you can utilize ZZ's beastly cb check. philly has a bootleg star in recchi with a good sidekick eklund, they at least have a decent offense)

I would hate to be LA vs DAL but that's more bias than anything, its a fine matchup

I would also recommend noobs to avoid the lower level teams as its hard for a noob to score with a team like washington or nyi. Plus its just more fun and fast to duke it out as chi det anyway

my $0.02

• Like 1

These cards are essentially for noobs.  MTL is real tough team to play against for less skilled players.  They can't score on Roy.

Much like PIT, I have similar problems with the NYR matchups.  Messier and Tikkanen are great/terrible depending on who is using them.  Amonte is nothing special.

HFD / PHI is fine.  Philly D is horrendous. People will likely be playing Lindros as well.  

I appreciate the inputs, very helpful! :)

This is a great idea bud. I'll incorporate it into my tournaments as well. For SNES, I'll have to make a up a few different matchups, especially the ones for Pit.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are picking the teams and playing as the visitor, I would take the list and eliminate any teams that are weak on the road (EDM/PHI/NJD), and be careful in match-ups with STR vs AVE home/road bonuses.

• Like 1

I was considering listing the Home/Away/PP/PK ratings on the cards as well, but decided it was overkill.  The point was to reduce the amount of mental energy in picking teams and having the advantages will confuse people more.  

Definitely more of a "pro" move I see happening with folks in Vegas.  

I made the cards and I like the way they came out.  I'll see if I can post a quick picture/GIF later when I get home.

Yeah, a personal list would be a must.

Great idea though - one thing that may have slowed down KO94 (beyond having to hunt down your opponent), was often team selection.

Would be nice to have guys cross out their match-up picks as well, to avoid playing one twice (if it's in the rules).

32 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

KingRaph strikes again.
Those are awesome.
How much to make me a set I can pick up from you in Vegas?

I can print out the sheets for you, all you gotta do is laminate with 10 mil pouches at a Staples (~$20-$25) and cut (takes a day).

That laminate is THICK...these things will last.  Happy to do that.