NHL'94 Forums

Closing the gap between GENS A and B players

HABS

53 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Do you have more vids, or different types?

I did 4 quick ones more with similar style, showing it off on replay. This time I took a better goalie to show that they work on better goalies as well. Bure vs Roy.

The technique is simple. Fool the goalie, find a correct lane to come in so you have an empty place to place the shot in, fool the goalie with your movement / hold him still and release.

Edited by Depch

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Timing the pass while the stick is vertical like that is very difficult as it will go past vertical a lot due to the 8 directional axis on the gens dpad

On the video that you commented the release doesn't happen vertically, it happens holding the movement directly UP. That's why I showed that video as the one where you should learn it first. That shouldn't be hard, just skate diagonally on a proper lane, turn up or down and release, no technique involved, showing it's about controlling where the goalie is mostly.

I think that not everyone is on the same field with dexterity so for some it might take a lot of work and repeat, some might not never be able to do it. The concept is same for both, keyboard and gamepad, just different technique in executing, there are no extra directions for keyboards. It's best for what you're used to.

Edited by Depch

7 minutes ago, Depch said:

I did 4 quick ones more with similar style, showing it off on replay. This time I took a better goalie to show that they work on better goalies as well. Bure vs Roy.

The technique is simple. Fool the goalie, find a correct lane to come in so you have an empty place to place the shot in, fool the goalie with your movement / hold him still and release.

For those not aware, this is actual game speed when playing Depch online :)

good examples of the dead middle pass attack.  Raph is VERY strong at doing these even if you get back and think you are in position to stop him.  There is significant range on these and a lot of guys learn the angle pass shots, but I find these the most difficult to stop.

16 minutes ago, Depch said:

On the video that you commented the release doesn't happen vertically, it happens holding the movement directly UP. That's why I showed that video as the one where you should learn it first. That shouldn't be hard, just skate diagonally on a proper lane, turn up or down and release, no technique involved, showing it's about controlling where the goalie is mostly.

I think that not everyone is on the same field with dexterity so for some it might take a lot of work and repeat, some might not never be able to do it. The concept is same for both, keyboard and gamepad, just different technique in executing, there are no extra directions for keyboards. It's best for what you're used to.

I understand, this pass shot is not easy on a dpad, you either have to time it perfectly in left right up/down transition, or take your thumb off the dpad press B, then press up/down on the dpad, for me this is very difficult as I don't take my thumb off the dpad ever unless I'm attempting these pass shots which I've done on occasion, but it takes so much mental thought for me because I have to release my thumb off dpad hold B then slam back down on the dpad up/down to execute.  You keyboarders are always moving off of a directional button so a movement like I explained above is very easily done from a mental standpoint for you compared to the gens controller player.

I'm very poor at explaining what I mean sometimes so my point might be lost in translation.

So say a player is in a stand still position perfectly aimed straight head on at the open side of the net (just off center from goalie) if I hold up then press B the pass shot will be weak, BUT if I hold the B button down first while not pressing any direction on the dpad, and then slam my thumb down on the Up direction on the dpad it will be a rocket that will get airborne, and will more often then not score over goalie shoulder/glove in my experience practicing these, some guys might have different experiences, and opinions on what I tried to explain as I'm no expert just commenting on my personal experience.

10 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I understand, this pass shot is not easy on a dpad, you either have to time it perfectly in left right up/down transition, or take your thumb off the dpad press B, then press up/down on the dpad,

Yes, timing has to be precise or you miss the window for the pass to go to the open net.

On DPAD for the first goal you just neet to hold northeast then turn it up, you don't have to release your thumb. If you play up with a lefty just skate northeast from a proper angle and then turn up and press B. If you're on a bad angle, you just have to move your thumb left/northwest and then back northeast, repeat if angle is still bad. I don't understand how that could be hard. I have played some consoles with gamepads so it's easy to visualize.

That should not be hard. You probably do that motion most of the time in games for dekes.

It is mental, I know I will be able to do the first goal with a gamepad easily with a little practise. What will take loads of time is to teach my thumb the quick movements in the second video, but it is doable as well, at start the precision will be very much off. That just takes time, also you should use similar motion for fixing your position on defence, at least I do. That's where I will struggle if/when moving to gamepad.

Edited by Depch

I'll get back on the pass shot tutorial on my site.  I believe I have savestates of most of the clips I wanted, but I can create the rest vs computer.  I tried to just use game footage from human opponents, but I forgot about this.  I'll include the input controls on the video, it might help some folks. 

@Lupz27, I don't think I let go of the dpad either, it's still possible to do everything Depch is saying.  I agree that it's a lot easier on keyboard, but dpad is viable (Ice/me as proof, lol).  To his point, timing is everything, but I think learning the angles is more important.  I see a lot of people "practicing" pass shots, but it's just slamming a shot at the goalie hoping for it to go in.  Not a high percentage.

Styles are different too -- Ice does the cross-ice slam so well, but I can't seem to get that down as well. 

Anyway, I'll do my best to get that section up sometime this week!

• Like 1

Where it's harder is just a stupid argument. You play with your strenghts or change & adapt if you can, this game is played with an emulator on a computer, so everyone has a keyboard, not everyone has a gamepad or came from a different platform. I hope we leave the keyboard vs gamepad stuff out. Both have their strenghts.

I will try to adapt for the gamepad due possible future tournaments at one point if not for the fall one. They should be a blast to attend to as hotseat offers a very intense experience for games and the non latency allows to show of better skill. Like I stated my adaptation will be tough for the fast movements on dpad and to try to teach that left thumb to work well, I hope the experience with xbox360 controller helps there. For right thumb it's easy and the timing for these are wired in my brain already.

In the end not all people are on the same level in terms of dexterity, nerves and how brain works. Not everyone will be capable of that stuff on keyboard or gamepad. For some it requires a lot more work and some can pick it up easier.

Just wanted to say:

1. These videos are awesome, and
2. They are appreciated!

I picture is worth 1000 words, a video is worth 10000, and a video with a write-up on what it is you are doing is priceless! :)

I don't take my thumb off the D-pad either. The difficulty I have with the pass-shot is that I have trouble pressing ONLY up or down, so you'll often see me fire a pass into the corner when on a breakaway.

One thing to realize with the pass-shot is that the puck maintains your horizontal momentum, so if you are skating diagonally then fire a shot "up" it will drift in the same direction you were moving. It's important to account for that (or take advantage of it, depending on how you look at it).

I think the easiest pass-shot (other than five-hole) is to skate straight at the goalie, swing the puck (and your stick) out one way in order to move the goalie, then swing it back the other, and try to fire it just inside the post. I find it's a little easier on the backhand.  I thought I had a video on youtube of me doing this a few times back in the NHL91 league, but I can't find it..

2 hours ago, kingraph said:

I'll get back on the pass shot tutorial on my site.  I believe I have savestates of most of the clips I wanted, but I can create the rest vs computer.  I tried to just use game footage from human opponents, but I forgot about this.  I'll include the input controls on the video, it might help some folks.

That would be amazing. Especially with input controls in real-time! 

I wonder how many different pass shots there are?  Seems like I have seen tons, and they must have different degrees of difficulty? But maybe if you break it down there are only 2 or three different methods, but they just seem different because of their context.  I don't know enough about it to say.

Note: The crease cut pass shot (straight up) I have only seen Ice execute.  That must be a hard one to pull off.