NHL'94 Forums

The Strokes-r-us league

Brutus

Which league would you want to join?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of league would you want to have run next?

• SURVIVOR!!
    • Auction instead of Draft League
    • Draft League
    • Continous draft league (Keepers in some form applied)
    • Classic (just pick a team and play till the end)
    • I don't care.
  2. 2. Do you like Penalties off with B check enabled? (Plabax current league is using this option)

• Penalties ON/ Line Changes OFF
    • Penalties ON/ Line Changes ON
    • Penalties OFF/ Line Changes OFF
    • Penalties OFF/ Line Changes ON
    • I don't care.
  3. 3. What type of ROM to use?

• Classic (weight bug is in, C/B is in) GDL & Classic run with this setting.
    • Blitz ROM (Weight bug fix plus checking and NO C/B)
    • Classic C/B DISABLED (Weight bug still exists, but the reverse C/b is fixed)
    • I don't care.
  4. 4. Are you able to JOIN and complete a 40 plus game season (if not, still take the poll for future references)

• YES, and I can start as early as February!
    • YES and I am looking to start in Spring (March/April?)
    • NO, but I MIGHT be available at a later date
    • NO, I am NOT joining a league any time soon, but IF I did, that's what I would want to play!
  5. 5. What kind of pace are you looking for?

• I prefer ONE month with strict deadlines and penalties
    • I prefer TWO months with strict deadlines and penalties
    • I prefer two months with loose deadlines and a relaxed pace
    • I don't care.
  6. 6. Do you like the talent separation?

• I like NO A / B league. All for one. Only one Champ.
    • I like an A league, B league & C leauge if enough guys join
    • I don't care.
  7. 7. Goalie hacks

• In Classic, there are NO hacks. GDL, no hacks. I like this.
    • In Blitz & Plabs current league, goalies have been given small boosts, faster goalie control, Y Button & longer range to move with goalie. I like this.
    • I don't care.

Ok.  I'm putting up a poll.  It ANSWERS all the questions we need to know for now.

I will commish & include videos :)  Based on feedback, I will be able to figure out which league I will offer to join.

For those wondering about Survivor, here is a link to Season 2's very informational (as always Raph) forum page:

IF YOU ARE IN for whatever league comes up next, PLEASE reply after you take the poll to what you consider DEAL BREAKERS for league options.  Let's say you are OUT with Penalties ON.  I will not count you in the "head count" if it looks like we are going penalties on then, etc.  As usual, you have the right to change your mind at roll call.   Part of which choice I will use for next league will be based off of SIZE of coaches able/interested in joining.

I'm in.  I do like the goalie boost.  No penalties is interesting I must admit, but a great part of the ebb and flow of nhl94 is having penalties.  It's part of sport and strategy.

Edited by AtomicRaven

Survivor sounds like a nice idea as well, I might have voted for that as well, can't find an option to remove my votes and re-do them like in the old forums. This type of league would kinda gives room to truly view how players view eachother and what teams they are using against each other and who are you saving the monster teams for if so. This kinda supports the live tournaments as well.

I also gave the option that not joining a league for now as expecting classic to begin, but if it is not being played for GENS this spring, then I would be open for something else propably, but perhaps testing SNES (as well?). I have no reason to see why SNES would not be run, but understand with the issues with GENS A.

Edited by Depch

I voted but bottom line is I just like to play.  I was hoping GDL would be starting soon?

Plabax is having great success with:

1. strict milestone enforcement
2. 16 coaches

I think GDL should be this way.  If we need to stick to tradition and have 24 players, then a new league -- just like GDL but with 16 coaches and strict milestones -- would be awesome.

I also like the Plablegs league, and hope he keeps rolling it over.

I never want to play with line changes on.  Aside from that, I will play in almost any league!  Thanks! :)

I'm in for whatever. Another option you should put up is reduced penalty minutes that reflect how long the game actually is.  So to set the proportions we could have 30 second penalties

2 PIM/60 mins=0.0333~

15 min * 0.033 =0.5 

0.5*60s=30s

Not sure when the next VHL is slated, but there would probably be some overlap.

The no penalties has been interesting - but if PIMs are on the table, I'll always vote for 1min penalties.

Line changes are a non-starter for me, as would 20min periods.

I also think that you don't need to necessarily split the A/B players - but it would be nice to have a consolation bracket so the bottom guys can at least play beyond the regular season. I don't think anyone would care if it wasn't tracked on the website - just a thread keeping track of the games/series.

5 minutes ago, Premium said:

You can't have 30 second penalties.

I will never play another game with penalties on. They are the worst thing ever.

Penalty Shots are the bomb!

Ok so what else do I think is essential: more than 2 games against an opponent! The best was the Classic with 10 teams where it was 4 or 5 against everyone.

Doing 2 games just isn't enough.

Auctioning is above my computer knowledge, but fortunately I am surrounded by the cognoscenti here. I've heard survivor is great but never played in it. Apart from that regular classic is my favorite league by far. 

1 hour ago, Depch said:

I also gave the option that not joining a league for now as expecting classic to begin, but if it is not being played for GENS this spring, then I would be open for something else propably, but perhaps testing SNES (as well?). I have no reason to see why SNES would not be run, but understand with the issues with GENS A.

I asked Raph before posting the poll, and he said Spring Classic is being skipped.

14 minutes ago, Premium said:

I will never play another game with penalties on. They are the worst thing ever.

I have played in leagues w/ Coach Mac, and he would edit the penalties down to different times to be 30 seconds, etc, and would do it based on the type of penalty.  It was not in '94, I think in '93 or '92.  I don't 100% remember, but I DO remember playing with reduced penalties, so I don't know that you are 100% correct with this.  However, you are marked as OUT if penalties are "ON".

7 minutes ago, kylewat said:

Ok so what else do I think is essential: more than 2 games against an opponent! The best was the Classic with 10 teams where it was 4 or 5 against everyone.

Doing 2 games just isn't enough.

I agree about having more games vs an opponent.  It does cause more scheduling issues, but makes the games more significant.  I know the A to B games tend to get "LONG" for the B guys by game 3 though.

I have played in leagues w/ Coach Mac, and he would edit the penalties down to different times to be 30 seconds, etc, and would do it based on the type of penalty.  It was not in '94, I think in '93 or '92.  I don't 100% remember, but I DO remember playing with reduced penalties, so I don't know that you are 100% correct with this.  However, you are marked as OUT if penalties are "ON"

NOSE gives you the option of any whole number for each different penalty in minutes.

Someone could probably fairly easily figure out how to do 30 seconds.

54 minutes ago, TexasPachyderm said:

Reduced penalties as it's a bummer to lose breakaways & PSs. 

Yeah.  It seems most like the Penalty Shots.

Smozoma gots to do a hack that keeps all penalties off except those rare ones that result in a Penalty Shot.  Would be super cool!

4 hours ago, Premium said:

+1  

I too have no tolerance anymore for the bingo wheel aspect that penalties bring.   

I'd also like to see slackers not allowed in future leagues.  I certainly can't see myself getting excited about any league where these fools are allowed to pollute again.  Actually not sure I'd even join if they are.   Or better yet, put them all in their own league where they can take as long as they want, no deadlines of any sort.  Allow them to bask in that moat.  Then no one else will have to deal with it but them, and they'll have no right to complain.   Maybe they wouldn't even complain, who knows.  They seem to hate being pressured to play their games anyway.  End of rant (for now).

Edited by Uncle Seth

15 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

+1  

I too have no tolerance anymore for the bingo wheel aspect that penalties bring.   

I'd also like to see slackers not allowed in future leagues.  I certainly can't see myself getting excited about any league where these fools are allowed to pollute again.  Actually not sure I'd even join if they are.   Or better yet, put them all in their own league where they can take as long as they want, no deadlines of any sort.  Allow them to bask in that moat.  Then no one else will have to deal with it but them, and they'll have no right to complain.   Maybe they wouldn't even complain, who knows.  They seem to hate being pressured to play their games anyway.  

2 guys out if penalties are "ON" in any form, but it's the 2 hardcore guys.

I mean, I could play in a league with penalties ON, even if it's not my preferred method.  In general, it's called compromise.  Especially, since the last league, someone else compromised with me.  I'm assuming not everyone who played in Plabs league wanted penalties off.

However, we all have the right to reject/not join a league's rules.

I will also point out that the pool of NHL94 players is not ever expanding.  In fact, we don't run GDL right now for one reason:  We don't have 24 active coaches who will play their games.  NOT because Brutus is lazy, or didn't want to kick people out, or whatever reason.  I did not restart GDL because I did not have 24 coaches I could count on to draft, edit their lines and play ~40+ games in a 60 day window.

I HAVE NOTICED that as talk on those league's chat groups grew more radical and full of complaining, the league's chat then went more & more dormant.  In the end, I believe Seth & Plabax are correct in the handling of "slacker" mentality, but their banter is clearly having the opposite of effect.

Either way, this is to find out what everyone would WANT, would play under and when, so your comments are more than welcome.  Not trying to poo-poo any feedback, regardless if I like it or not for this poll.

• Like 1

I run a dynasty league which is a league where you bid on players. It's nice in many ways. You're in control of who you want on your team. It also really exposes at who's good at managing players under a cap. Cap incentives  are offered if you reach the deadline each week, so you have more room to spend next season(up to an extra $30 million). If you drop a player, you take a 50% cut of their salary against the cap. I used the stats from the snes game from 93-98 (with some relative conversions so they fit for the 94 rom). We're on the '96 year this season.

4 hours ago, Brutus said:

I will also point out that the pool of NHL94 players is not ever expanding.  In fact, we don't run GDL right now for one reason:  We don't have 24 active coaches who will play their games.  NOT because Brutus is lazy, or didn't want to kick people out, or whatever reason.  I did not restart GDL because I did not have 24 coaches I could count on to draft, edit their lines and play ~40+ games in a 60 day window.

I HAVE NOTICED that as talk on those league's chat groups grew more radical and full of complaining, the league's chat then went more & more dormant.  In the end, I believe Seth & Plabax are correct in the handling of "slacker" mentality, but their banter is clearly having the opposite of effect.

Great point that the pool is not expanding.  I don't love slackers either but it's always been part of the game except in small leagues.  You can't have the best of both worlds with this.  Maybe if we tried to expand the community rather than complain about guys with 2 wins slacking and banning em for life.

Votes are looking to shape in to plablegs with A/B separation (also separate drafts). Not sure I like that idea too much, but let the votes be cast. Player pools would be insane for around 10 user drafts. :D

I changed my vote from Classic to Survivor as stated previously. So that stands at 5 atm. as well.

Edited by Depch

FYI, it's not a democracy!  If it was, I'd have us rank preference and highest point total wins over highest vote of one. (I.e., like 1-5, & 1 is worth most points, etc.  this type of voting system is similar to Mvp voting in some leagues)

trying to tally up public opinion to see what league would be best.  And we can always do next league to follow based on 2nd most favored etc.

If if its draft league, I think you have to shorten pool of you shorten teams in some manner.

I'll give this a few days & then privately chat with enough guys to get a pulse for what would work / not work.

if you go with a shortened draft league, then I have a few creative ideas to get away from the same old draft from same pool and end up with same teams , rinse, repeat.

One thought I had for a continuing dynasty type league was to do an Original 6 League using the Original 6 teams from classic and then every year "release" 1 or 2 new teams.

So for example when Buffalo was released Laffy and Mogilny would be available.  Just an idea to shorten the talent pool.  You could do the same with 10 teams or whatever.

19 hours ago, kylewat said:

what about playing for $$$

I think that would encourage the playstyle of many users to a way more passive style. It would encourage more backskating, more holding on to the puck and more passive play overall. All games would have to be recorded to have video records of them. At least I think I would become even more passive in defence, just a more calculative game overall. It could hone the playstyles to a less fun way and that's propably not what the game needs at the moment. And my message was not meant as a banter towards your style, you're doing quite well what is effective and I would see that come more of the standard.

If such a league was online, then I would be in for sure. All it took was an entrance fee and proper distribution or a charitable guy(s) with good income to throw in something to the pot twice a year. I think the finns did that at some point, but I wasn't playing at that time. Money leagues would have to take some legal issues to be in consider there in the US, maybe some states would allow it. Also maybe money leagues would always be of interest to new players instead of the good community way. People always take interest to such things, hell, some are lining up for free buckets here in Finland at times. Bucket league.

+ I think teams should be standardized somehow also. Like what we had in the fantasy cup two years ago, uh, time flies (I will throw the link in below, it was quite fun actually, well done by Donnybrook). You have a specific amounts of points you can distribute to players as your liking in the team. Everyone has the same attribute points pool to share, just do it how you please. Or in Finland we had teams with same players, we just named them as we liked and had the jersey colours of our own choosing in fantasy. It allowed users to play with the kind of lineups they wanted, fast, shooters, mixed etc.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16422-nhl-94-dream-team-tourney/

Looking at the rosters I used offensive awareness 4 for one forward and the rest had 3,2,1,1,0. Offensive awareness has very little to play in the game. Goalies were maxed out by default, but as a test for my goalie and to help with my over reaction with the goalie at the time I used speed 1 and 0/0 awarenesses, he had no problems at all and was a top performer. I think the 35 attribute points might have been a bit too much per player though as you generally were able to almost max out all top attributes.

Has there ever been a fantasy league?

Edited by Depch

Hi Brutus,

Thanks for starting this thread and inviting me to partake in the poll. I really don't care too much about most of the parameters, albeit I did vote on all, but count me out if there's an auction draft. From my experience, they take too long.

And although I prefer softer deadlines, it appears I'm in the minority. But that's cool and the gang...

Yours truly,

CBK26

Ok.

Got about 20 people who took the poll, and 3 of them stated they would not be joining any league, so that count puts us around 17, well below GDL's 24 coaches needed.  I assume not all 17 join, and I also assume some join who did NOT take the poll, but I'm going to assume around 14 coaches join.

I am going to set up a new thread for sign up for the new league complete with rules.  I am basing it on the poll plus some private conversations.

Since Survivor did NOT make the cut, and we will have King of 94 II @ Sept 23rd, then I will agree to setup/run Survivor around mid July unless someone else does it, then I'll just play!  This would have it finishing around the same time we will be gathering for the big tourney, and will help get everyone FRESH on Classic Rom & Classic teams.

Keeper draft/Auction draft seemed to get a good combo of interest.  Auction would require a LOT of commitment that I don't feel is there now.

4 hours ago, Brutus said:

Auction would require a LOT of commitment that I don't feel is there now.

There are tools that make it fast and simple. We usually got auctions done within 2-3 days. Kiba had created an online tool for NHL95 PC manager leagues that was simple to use for anyone. Jer is aware of this, I don't see it that it could be that hard to make the transition if we just asked / he allowed it. It's great. It usually takes around 4-6 rounds to finish and taking your bids can be done easily in 30min per round and everyone can do them at the same time.

It propably would take some time and not be ready for the upcoming league though unless it's only about changing the excel data sheet.