NHL'94 Forums

"Et tu, Brute?" League ***NEW LEAGUE- SIGN UP***

Brutus

Additional League Options  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Penalties?

• Penalties off, B check enabled
    • Penalties On, but penalties reduced to 30 seconds each (or 1 minute if this is not able to be done)
    • Don't Care, just want to play.
  2. 2. Keeper Draft or Regular One & Done?

• I would like to be part of a continuous draft where I keep part of my team for the next season
    • I want to do one draft, and then completely reset IF I join again next season.
    • I don't care, but I'm good with either.

Ok, DO NOT TAKE THE POLL UNLESS YOU ARE IN.  The poll part is ONLY for the final details of the league.

After I see how many are signing up, I will post final rules and then, we may/may not have additional dropouts based on these final rules.

League Rules:
Draft league (currently set to be 1994 ROM for pool)

Snake draft with a lottery for draft positions (and video by Brutus included)

Draft to start in a few weeks, season ~ beginning of March.

Blitz ROM (this includes NO C/B, Boost for Check Rating to check equation, Y Button & Quicker Goalie control)

No Line Changes, NO additional goalie boosts added onto player ratings.  They come AS-IS.

A/B League, everyone plays everyone.  2 divisions divided into A/B.  A coaches plays A coaches 4 times, B coaches 2 times.  B coaches plays B coaches 4 times, A coaches  2 times.  IN 16 team league, that would come out to 46 games.  Playoffs will be separate.  6 teams from A, 6 teams from B in a 16 team league would make post-season.  A WILL NOT play B in playoffs.  There will be an A Champion and a B Champion. 

Season will be 8 weeks long, with 6 games/wk.  Checkpoints will be enforced.

Each round of the playoffs will be 10 days from scheduled series (set by Brutus) with exceptions only allowed with prior notice. 

Re-seeding after each round.  DNP's determined by Brutus for who makes playoffs, WIN% determines your seed.

To be voted on:

Penalties OFF or LIMITED

Keeper Draft or ONE & DONE

Yet to be determined, final size of the league, which could change a few options if needed.

OK 2 NOTES****

#1 This is OPEN SIGN UP FOR THIS LEAGUE.  IF want to IN, please take poll and state so. 
IF you want to be on the WAIT LIST, please message here as well.

#2 I WANTED to do a continuous keeper league that includes players from ALL ages.  The draft pool each season is limited to a portion of the all-time players pool to keep the league in "balance".    IF we decide as a group we would prefer to do a KEEPER league over a ONE & DONE, then we can hash out the KEEPER rules at that time.  No need to complicate things now.

Let's get some buds to sign up.

ForSure.

Change my vote for #2. Keeper Draft or Regular One & Done?

FROM I don't care, but I'm good with either TO I would like to be part of a continuous draft where I keep part of my team for the next season

(+ either 30 second or 60 second penalties)

Edited by TexasPachyderm

In, I didn't vote on league format question 1, reason is I'd prefer another option that I mentioned to you and will mention here.

Penalties ON, penalty time set to 0:00 so always play at 5 on 5, but don't need to hack the b button checking, and also keeps penalty shots in the game.

Anyways I'm in regardless of the format, but that's my preference on format.

In plz.

Has anyone reached out to or heard from any previously active coaches? 

Mind, Wally, Skeletor etc..?

Edited by jer_33

7 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

In plz.

Has anyone reached out to or heard from any previously active coaches? 

Mind, Wally, Skeletor etc..?

Talked to Wally in the spring he said he is probably done for good if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I'll play, but to clarify, if you're using the Blitz ROM, that has goalies boosted already. Or are you reverting them back to Classic ratings?

I would be reverting them back to Classic Ratings.

Blitz ROM for the mechanics.

IF we get enough players interested, I'd try to convert this into a keeper league that uses an all-time player pool, not just 1994 Sega Rom.  Obviously, not all players would be available at all times, and Coach Mac volunteered to help out with the database/league, so I'm 100% sure it would be technically hockey accurate and a lot more fun than repeating the '94 draft.

Each season, guys not kept would be deleted, and each season, a certain amount of players from the "big player pool" would become eligible for drafting.

However, I need enough guys "in" on the keeper part to bother with all this.

Either direction, I planned on USING BLITZ rom for mechanics, and the goalies ratings being taken from Classic.  IF everyone puts up a strong enough objection to this, I am open to changing it.  Just seemed during the Plabs draft, half the guys didn't even realize we had the boosted goalie ratings.

And so no one &/or new guys gets confused.

Blitz mechanics w/ C/B Fixed means that the GENS weight bug is fixed.  Check rating that normally has no real value is added into the variable to determine if your attempted C check works or not, so checking again becomes a relevant draft rating.

You have access to the Y button to gain immediate control of the goalie and goalie control via the B button is given quicker than in the Classic version of Gens '94.

Weight bug fix implies that heavier is harder to check, like in the SNES version.

2 hours ago, Brutus said:

Blitz ROM (this includes NO C/B, Boost for Check Rating to check equation, Y Button & Quicker Goalie control)

To be clear, the Blitz ROMs are Weight Bug Fixed, right?  (So lighter guys are not Gods.)

And yeah, I am in no matter what the rules are...

Edit: I see you mentioned it is WBF after I wrote what I did....

Edited by aqualizard

7 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

To be clear, the Blitz ROMs are Weight Bug Fixed, right?  (So lighter guys are not Gods.)

And yeah, I am in no matter what the rules are...

Edit: I see you mentioned it is WBF after I wrote what I did....

Some lighter guys are still gods if you can't catch them.

If you're thinking keeper league what about dynasty league style.  Back in the day sungod used to run dynasty and the plan was to have the next season have nhl95 player ratings.  This isn't very hard to do either you basically copy the players into the 94 rom.   I'd love to play with forsberg etc.  

24 minutes ago, HABS said:

If you're thinking keeper league what about dynasty league style.  Back in the day sungod used to run dynasty and the plan was to have the next season have nhl95 player ratings.  This isn't very hard to do either you basically copy the players into the 94 rom.   I'd love to play with forsberg etc.  

Dynasty is another keeper option, where players progress in ratings.

We are doing that in the SNES game, where it started out w/ the '93 ratings (which was WHACK!, cause '93 is juiced), and went each season ahead.  So, in '96, Paul Kariya joined the "pool of available players", and he is below average.  He's also below average in '97, but becomes a GOD in '98 version.

I think if you had ALL-TIME players, which includes 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's to current, then Forsberg would be in one of the draft pools.  The difference would be that his ratings once you had him wouldn't change.  You'd have him for how many seasons we set keepers for, and then he'd be gone.

17 hours ago, Brutus said:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the implications of a WBF league.  Especially regarding drafting.  BLitz ended before I started playing online.  

I started a separate thread so as not to pollute this one:

How To Draft for a WBF League

Please throw a lizard a bone over there. ;)

11 minutes ago, kylewat said:

beggers can't be choosers. in

also how do I get rid of this 1st liner moniker? I feel out of place among the legends, kings and lords.

Post more often.

1 hour ago, Depch said:

What will be done with static? I think it has been great on plablegs and the game has been faster as well as cold seems to occur more often than hot. Works out for goalies as well.

Great question Depch.  I THOUGHT Blitz was always static.

IF by chance it is still an option, we will use the STATIC option, where the player ratings are the same every game, and not random at the start up.

29 minutes ago, Brutus said:

Great question Depch.  I THOUGHT Blitz was always static.

IF by chance it is still an option, we will use the STATIC option, where the player ratings are the same every game, and not random at the start up.

I think it was only static how it showed in line changes, but the hot / cold existed in the game. We voted for this in GDL.You had the option to show true values, default mixed values or mask them all as static in line changes / team roster.

ill hop in. I just took both polls and would like to see some kind of penalties although its only bc it favors my more "relaxed" play style. Its not a deal breaker though and i want to experience as much of the league as I can.