aqualizard

Update:
This League is happening now, and here is the ROM: NHL94PnP.bin

Update 2:
The gamesaves can be submitted now. See Stats Thread

Below is the original first message...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
with the success of Plab's small, tight league (no slackers!) I am thinking of other league ideas.  Would you play in a league where:

1. 8 guys, 4 As, 4 Bs
  2. B level picks from complete Classic list, A level pick from bottom 5
  3. Each team plays the other team 2x (home and away), for 14 games total
  4. Aim for 7 games per week, so: season complete in 2 weeks
  5. No playoffs. Whoever has most wins, wins (If there is a tie, we then look at: GF, GA)
  6. As and Bs draft teams separately based on random draw

I am wondering if A guys would consider such a league?  On the one hand, it is more fun to play with a stacked roster.  However being able to compete with a crappy team would be a real testament of skill!  And of course, things would balance out between As and Bs, or at least balance better.

Let me know your thoughts, especially A players.  If the idea sucks, no biggie, just thinking out loud here. ;)

Edit: I updated the rules above as the discussion evolved, so they were slightly refined, though the spirit of the idea remains.

Edited by aqualizard

There have been two classic leagues that have had adjusted drafting. But people wanted to go back to full random.

I like playing with handicap, I am used to playing without superstars. I am propably on the minority.

http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=23
http://nhl94online.com/html/standings.php?lg=25

The problem with this idea is that a team like the Penguins might fall into the category of bottom 16 teams, and an elite A guy can use them just as efficiently as they can use a perceived top 10 team if not better.

This is as good a thread as any. I mentioned these ideas in a conversation with Depch.

Idea 1: A survivor-style tournament where a win allows you to "trade" a player with the losing team.

Idea 2: I have a mostly complete list of 1994 NHL salaries that could be used for a true salary cap league.

54 minutes ago, Depch said:

I like playing with handicap, I am used to playing without superstars. I am propably on the minority.

Cool! So can I pencil you in, if this thing happens?  I figure at least 4 A guys are needed to "maintain the integrity" of the idea...

53 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

I have proposed this before.

Wt Bug Fixed Classic would work great for this.

So would my Historic Roms.

We also play this way at my Live events.

You could come by my place on your way to Vegas next fall.:big_smile:

Coach, I don't want to do any hacks to the Classic ROM.

As for swinging by your place, that would be awesome!  But it is unlikely to happen Sept 23rd... would need to be a summer time, if I werein that area. (I do hope Ko94 ][ is in Vegas!!)

43 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The problem with this idea is that a team like the Penguins might fall into the category of bottom 16 teams, and an elite A guy can use them just as efficiently as they can use a perceived top 10 team if not better.

I get your point.  But, I think if I played CHI or DET against KingRaph's PIT, I would win some games.  He is one of the best guys, and I am a middle-B guy, and he would still beat me > 75% of time, but I would win some. I think.  Hell, I'd love to try.

Also, chances are that Raph would not get first pick, so he is more likely to get stuck with  STL or NJ or even TB.  The bottom 10 (that is, 17-26) from here are:

PIT
STL
WSH
NJ
NYI
SJ
TB
FLA
OTW
ANH

Perhaps I should make it bottom 8, from WSH onward?  Or maybe A guys will take it as a challenge and badge of honor and *want* to play an ANH or OTW?

5 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

The bottom 10 (that is, 17-26) from here are:

PIT
STL
WSH
NJ
NYI
SJ
TB
FLA
OTW
ANH

Perhaps I should make it bottom 8, from WSH onward?  Or maybe A guys will take it as a challenge and badge of honor and *want* to play an ANH or OTW?

Pit,Stl,Wsh,Njd,Nyi are still quite ok  teams.

Pit has Lemieux and wicked D + great AI goalie behind. Variables in Jagr, Mullen, Straka, Francis, Stevens etc.

Stl is very good on offence Emerson-Hull-Bassen is what I used, buggers around Hull in Classic. Brown & Butcher stay down low well and Joseph is good.

Wsh is strange, it has great combination of players in Bondra, Kristich etc. But is hard to come by with a good chemistry. Their D is very good and it can be a wicked CB-team.

Njd has one of the best chemistries from all of Classic, there's just something extra there that makes it very much fun to play with. Zelepukin, Semak and shooter in Richer, Stevens & Fetisov I love at D. Terreri great G for manual.

Nyi offence is very good, Hogue-Turgeon-Thomas. Lacks in defence and goalie. This can perform very well.

I used to play quite some with Nyi & Njd in Finnish classic matchups. Used STL in one of the adjusted drafts.

The teams behind these are with severe handicaps and it would be interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Depch said:

The teams behind these are with severe handicaps and it would be interesting.

So you think from SJ down?

SJ
TB
FLA
OTW
ANH

Would you play if you were limited to those 5?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Would you play if you were limited to those 5?

I'm up for the challenge. :)

I actually think Ottawa is the worst of the bunch. I have trouble building a nice lineup with Ottawa.

I also dislike Tampa Bay even though they got Bradley, their defence is just not good at all.

Anaheim at least has some serviceable guys in Yake, Semenov, Kasatonov and I enjoy playing them.

Florida also has at least G.Murphy & Beezer to build some back end.

San Jose is decent in speed and Kisio is can surprise as well.

Edited by Depch

7 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Yeah, without sounding too arrogant, I dont believe you can win a game vs me using PIT.  I'm with Depch, SJ down. 

Ok, fair enough. :)

So would you play in a league of this type?  I figure I need at least 4 A guys.

• Like 1

This would have to be a fast paced compact league type. I don't think I want to commit to 2 main leagues at the same time that both take a couple of months to complete.

Edited by Depch

8 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Ok, fair enough. :)

So would you play in a league of this type?  I figure I need at least 4 A guys.

Yeah...But as Depch said, would think of this as a quick league.  With Brutus doing his, Plablegs, etc...Would be a lot at once.

7 minutes ago, Depch said:

This would have to be a fast paced compact league type. I don't think I want to commit to 2 main leagues at the same time that both take a couple of months to complete.

Sure, no prob.

This is in the feeling out stage.  But it is encouraging two top coaches are up for the challenge! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, kingraph said:

Yeah, without sounding too arrogant, I dont believe you can win a game vs me using PIT.  I'm with Depch, SJ down. 

I agree. Those last 5 teams are really quite horrid, and might well provide a good challenge. KingRaph is quite good with NJ.

So Zep and FPB, do you guys have the testicular fortitude to try your hand with one of the bottom 5 teams?  If this league happened it would be spaced for some "down time" between other, more major, leagues... 

This should be more of a fast tournament/league type that lasts max for 1-2 weeks for me. :) So nothing too big. Players who are able to get their games in with ease.

Edited by Depch

Out of the bottom 5 I like Anaheim & San Jose. San Jose is on a different level than the other 4 imo, just solid speed all around for offence. That's why if we can't have 5 I'd rather have no one take SJ. Then I'd be good with Anaheim. :)

Ok, what do you guys think of these rules:

1. 8 guys, 4 As, 4 Bs
  5. No playoffs. Whoever has most wins, wins (If there is a tie, we then look at: GF, GA)
  6. As and Bs draft teams separately based on random draw

Atomic and I (might be able to) tweak nhl94rocks.com to keep track of league stats, so even though it is a small, tight league we can still track stuff like nhl94online.com does. (It is always fun to see stats, right?)

Edit: Added #6
Edit 2: Added this same ruleset to first post.

Edited by aqualizard

14 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

Ok, what do you guys think of these rules:

1. 8 guys, 4 As, 4 Bs
  5. No playoffs. Whoever has most wins, wins

Atomic and I (might be able to) tweak nhl94rocks.com to keep track of league stats, so even though it is a small, tight league we can still track stuff like nhl94online.com does. (It is always fun to see stats, right?)

Sounds good to me

21 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I'll play

Cool! It is hinged on us getting 4 A guys, but it  looks promising...

"A"s In:

1. Depch
  2. Kingraph
  3. Icestorm
  4. FPB
  5. Smozoma

"B"s In:

1. Aqua
  2. Atomic
  3. Coach
  4. Jack&Jose

* Needs official confirmation still (after reading rules)...

Edit: Updated coaches.

Edited by aqualizard