NHL'94 Forums

Dumb and Chase

kylewat

I assume you mean DUMP (not dumb) and chase. 

Instead of rushing up the ice with your players, you throw a floater from your side of the red line, immediately switch to a forward and try to get possession of the puck in the offensive zone.  Usually results in the rest of the players flying down right behind you, both offense and defense, and is an opportunity to create some chaos for a quick one-timer or crease cut.  The defense doesn't have as much time to settle in position and adjust.  If you don't make it, you risk an icing.  Or, if your opponent takes the goalie to get the puck, they still have a hard time to counter rush because all their players are skating back, so they have to wait for the momentum to stop. 

It slows the game down a bit, so you can try to do this if you feel the wave of pressure coming at you and you want to try and shift things around.

Seth is known for doing this a bit too much.  At least imo. 

I think Clockwise told me he used this extensively to beat Carse in the Blitz final a bunch of years ago. Might have just shot the puck instead of A-dumping it, I'm not sure (they didn't record the games..)

It's normally done with a shot, C button.

If you have a forward or two that has LOW defensive awareness, they tend to already be heading that way anyhow, so the icing is much more rare.  Russ Courtnall is really effective with this tactic.

Seth does it so much I generally avoid playing exi's with him because I find it one of the most annoying things to play versus if done on a large scale, ESPECIALLY because these are generally LATE night games, and who the hell wants to deal with chasing, chasing, chasing the puck to either ICE it or give up a goal.

Seth claims it's cause he is such a spaz trying to C check that he ends up shooting the puck down the ice on "accident", but I don't believe him.

It's especially effective against a team that carries fat, heavy D men that don't skate so well trying to get behind a net to get the puck, and/or get back into position.  In previous seasons, I generally would have a FAT defensive team, with someone like McSorley back there and it would be very effective.  In retaliation, I would just skate like a smurf and hold the puck and A dump it back and ruin the exi game for both of us.

Oddly, a lot of guys complain about Zepp's turtle style defense, but I really enjoy playing Zepp.  So, I guess to each their own :)

4 hours ago, Brutus said:

Oddly, a lot of guys complain about Zepp's turtle style defense, but I really enjoy playing Zepp.  So, I guess to each their own :)

So this appears to be a compliment, however comes out of left field. The complaints come mostly after a thorough beating. 

Edited by kylewat

34 minutes ago, kylewat said:

So this appears to be a compliment, however comes out of left field. The complaints come mostly after a thorough beating. 

Since you brought up the Dump & Chase, and some guys complain about it (I am one of them), I was pointing out that others complain about your style of play but not the dump & chase, so I was admitting some of my own hypocrisy in ranting on Seth's dump & chase.  Like how come I can live with your tactics but not Seth's type thing.

I'm sure there are guys who hate both backward skating offenses AND dumping puck offenses and others who just hate everything.

And yes, LOSING to a tactic you do not like only makes you hate it even more.   For me, I can play vs your tactic and still find ways to win PLAYING how I like to play, so it doesn't bother me.

Vs Seth's crazed dump, dump, dump & chase style, I have to play a way I HATE to retaliate/beat it. 

I never complain during league games/playoffs though, cause then IT's WINNER take all.

3 hours ago, kylewat said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

18 hours ago, Brutus said:

Seth claims it's cause he is such a spaz trying to C check that he ends up shooting the puck down the ice on "accident", but I don't believe him.

I have no reason to lie about anything in 94.  Believe what you will.  This thread has reminded me that I haven't been doing a lot of this strategy on purpose lately.  I'll have to start incorporating it because it's very effective.  Loft right over your D and catch it as it hits the ice.  My unintentional ones are risky and detrimental, I admit that.  I have no tolerance for playing against Brutus anyway, his laptop is not sufficient for gaming and causes a sanctuary lag-city.  Even my games vs AJ and Depch are buttery smooth since I bought a new PC last year and upgraded to fast internet.  Some of you people's laptops are laughably inadequate and cause the same problems (I won't name any other names, cough cough Lupz and a couple others).

Edited by Uncle Seth

4 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

I have no reason to lie about anything in 94.  Believe what you will.  This thread has reminded me that I haven't been doing a lot of this strategy on purpose lately.  I'll have to start incorporating it because it's very effective.  Loft right over your D and catch it as it hits the ice.  My unintentional ones are risky and detrimental, I admit that.  I have no tolerance for playing against Brutus anyway, his laptop is not sufficient for gaming and causes a sanctuary lag-city.  Even my games vs AJ and Depch are buttery smooth since I bought a new PC last year and upgraded to fast internet.  Some of you people's laptops are laughably inadequate and cause the same problems (I won't name any other names, cough cough Lupz and a couple others).

You sound like Eddie Murphy in Trading Places 

10 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

Lol your the only one who has a complaint about my laptop (well out loud maybe others do to, but haven't said anything).  I don't have an Ethernet port on my laptop so every game I've ever played has been over wifi, I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter, but haven't set it up because I don't have a long enough Ethernet cable to reach my laptop from where my modem is set up, and also 90% of the time when we played I was at work using a optimum hot spot wifi signal, and you never once quit because it was bad, and I know you won't waste your time if the game is to laggy so my connection using my laptop on an open public cable hot spot wasn't to laggy for you to quit I don't think it's my laptop.  We've only had a bad connection since you had to swap your laptop with someone else's because you couldn't get netplay to work on your own with new Kaillera, and after that was the first time I ever noticed a bad connection between us so maybe it's your new laptop.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:32 PM, kylewat said:

heh I beat you and you still played like a queer. Glad you toned that shit down

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Lol your the only one who has a complaint about my laptop (well out loud maybe others do to, but haven't said anything).  I don't have an Ethernet port on my laptop so every game I've ever played has been over wifi, I bought a USB to Ethernet adapter, but haven't set it up because I don't have a long enough Ethernet cable to reach my laptop from where my modem is set up, and also 90% of the time when we played I was at work using a optimum hot spot wifi signal, and you never once quit because it was bad, and I know you won't waste your time if the game is to laggy so my connection using my laptop on an open public cable hot spot wasn't to laggy for you to quit I don't think it's my laptop.  We've only had a bad connection since you had to swap your laptop with someone else's because you couldn't get netplay to work on your own with new Kaillera, and after that was the first time I ever noticed a bad connection between us so maybe it's your new laptop.

you're using Wifi still, Jesus H Christ dude!   Think we've found the culprit.  Shouldn't even be allowed to play in leagues with that shit.  

Edited by Uncle Seth

It's Kaillera, not anyone's internet. Nobody lags on SNES, and nobody lags on Kega Fusion. I'm sure nobody in the community has slow internet either. It's 2017.

There just isn't a way for everyone to play lagless GENS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 10:56 AM, smozoma said:

I think Clockwise told me he used this extensively to beat Carse in the Blitz final a bunch of years ago. Might have just shot the puck instead of A-dumping it, I'm not sure (they didn't record the games..)

My version is to put an off-handed skater, flush against the boards when entering the attacking zone and passing the puck hard around the wall behind the net to the other wing. Aggressive goalies can roam a bit here and get tangled behind the net, sometimes it makes a quality scoring chance.

Works best on the power play if you have someone who is trying to clog passing lanes for one-timers.

The (A) button / flip-in is more risky and I only did that sort of thing in 2on2. 

On 04/02/2017 at 4:10 AM, Uncle Seth said:

You do realize this game requires very little bandwidth.  Jitter/latency are far more important and there aren't great ways to minimize that.  Also Gens works fine on  super old computers as long as they are well maintained.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

It seems to me that these are inappropriate uses of the words queer, gay and fag. Am I missing something?

Regarding the dump in, I like to use it from time to time to mix things up. And also with the hard pass around the boards as described above. 

I don’t mind defending it as I just play really aggressive with my goalie, which also leads to some ridiculous moments  (eg dive to get the puck). But haven’t truly dealt with incessant dumping.