NHL'94 Forums

What happens when you take some of the best A Guys...

aqualizard

1 hour ago, kylewat said:

And what the hell is this website with my exis?

It is a website that tracks exis. :)

I added some games that we played. (Maybe others did, too.)  If you are bothered by being included I will delete them. Just let me know. :)

Edited by aqualizard
  • Like 1

So everyone has games in.  We have 2 weeks until this experiment is over.  

Check out the standings here:

http://nhl94rocks.com/tourney.php?tId=1

Depch and Jer_33 are undefeated so far, with 8 games and 4 game respectively.  Coach get the "Tex" award for completing 14 of 18 games by the official start of the season! Nice job!

• 2 weeks later...

We are down to the last day -- the Season ends tomorrow (Mar 1).  Most of the results are in, which you can see here:

http://nhl94rocks.com/tourney.php?tId=1

Ice and FPB still have 2 games to play, and both are in position to win the whole thing, so it really is coming down to the wire.  

There are A and B guys near the top, but I think we will have to do some analysis to really determine the outcome of the experiment.  Specifically, how did A guys do versus B, and vice versa?  (Perhaps some B guys were GIant Killers, and some A guys were Mouse Killers, and couldn't beat guys at their own level? Or the opposite? In my own case I lost 6 games, 3 to B, 3 to A.  Even steven.)  

One thing seems clear, though. A guys didn't dominate, and B guys didn't dominate.  The top 4 or 5 will be a mix for sure.  The one thing that remains is...

Who will be the ultimate winner?  For there can be only one true King in "Princes versus Paupers"!

Good luck to those still in the hunt. And thanks to all who participated,  'Twas fun. :) 

Cutting down my games with Ottawa:

vs A: 3-5 (2-0 vs Smoz SJ, 1-1 vs Kingraph ANA, 0-2 vs Ice TB, 0-2 vs FPB FLA)
vs B: 8-2 (2-0 vs Aqua BUF, 2-0 vs J&J VAN, 2-0 vs Coach DET, 1-1 vs Atomic CHI, 1-1 vs Jer MTL)

I was mostly disappointed with losing both games to Ice & FPB. I expected to tie them up like with Raph. FPB gave me my biggest trashing in the season, but the second one was close one goal deficit. Vs Ice the second game I let him on for a huge lead, had to make adjustements and got the game to overtime but it was not enough.

I expected to have most problems beforehand scoring with my players against Belfour and Roy and I got my losses from B guys against them.

Predictions: I would say Ice dominated, he is 12-4 with 2 games to go vs Smoz and it takes a lot from Smoz to be able to win. So expecting Ice to go with record 14-4 and that a dominating effort with TB, at least in the manner of being able to grind the wins out, perhaps not as per dominating IN games. FPB has to face Raph and I'd expect a 1-1 series there which would make Ice the winner and FPB tying up the second place with two B guys and making me the fifth, but anything can happen.

Fun experiment and should something like this happen again, I would recommend a fantasy type of approach but with Classic teams I would not participate (tiny perhaps with Anaheim). I'm sure players learned quite some from this as well.

Edited by Depch

It was an interesting experiment, and had some very telling stats.

I appreciate that the A guys were willing to play with such a limiting handicap.. Raph and Smoz particularly.

The games I played with both, you could feel how hard they were playing on the other end - and they were still getting their chances, just didn't have the players to score with.

Ice's team was a totally different level.

Results for A vs B scenario:

A Ott 8-2
A Tbl 8-2
B Buf 7-3
B Chi 5-5
A Fla 5-5
A Ana 5-5
B Mtl 5-5
B Det 3-7
B Van 3-7
A Sjs 0-10

Total:
A = 26 wins
B = 24 wins

Edited by Depch

Edit: I am leaving this post as is, but it was pointed out I made some of my conclusions are flat out wrong.

----
Wow, thanks for doing that, Depch!  I was going to get around to doing so myself.. maybe...

This list is cool, because it still maintains the same top 5.  Also, I like it because it show I am the only B with a winning record against As! (I handed Icestorm and FPB there only B losses!!).

This breakdown is more what I had in mind when I came up with the idea: how will As and Bs do against each other.

I would have to say, though it was not a landslide, As did do better than Bs.

Edited by aqualizard

Ahh, my bad.  I thought he was one of the top 2 in your list (OTT  and TBL).  Doh!

Disregard all of the conclusions I reached in that post, lol.  I was wrong across the board..

Edit: Sorry Coach and others I may have shortchanged in my hasty analysis. :)

Edit 2: The one thing I do think I got right was As did better than Bs.

Edited by aqualizard

Here is my conclusion.

The A Guys are good.

AJ went 13-0 with San Jose at our :Live Event a couple of weeks ago.
He even used everyone on the roster and all the goalies.

The best way to close the gap is with WBF and C/B fix.

I have been way more competitive with FPB and Depch in ETB than in this.
I have also beaten AJ a couple times LIVE playing Blitz roms.

But analysis is really a joke they are so far superior.

Those teams they played with suck.

That said it was fun.  I would do it again.
One of my wins was vs FPB.

I would not take Detroit as I need a GREAT Goalie!

Edited by CoachMac